Should calf kicks become an illegal strike?

This fight was entertaining regardless. We'll see guys defend them better as time goes on.

MMA fans are some of the biggest snowflakes I’ve ever seen to seriously suggest banning calf kicks is fucking ridiculous.

You guys arguing in favor with banning them need to put on your big boy pants it’s a fucking fight

Dont they do calf kicks in Muay Thai? No dont ban them. Just let fighters figure out how to deal with them.
more to the shin, ppl have to take week+ off if they get kicked to the calf just one time in practice... this was mentioned during the broadcast tonight thats how stupid this kick is.... 1 strike can take a guy out for a week of practice because it hit a nerve.....

Im not actually tired of them, but if I was, I would blame the losing fighter for losing to something I don’t find interesting.

They don't need to be illegal, but somebody needs to figure them out. I haven't been a fan of leg-breaking checks in the past, but I'm starting to want to see some more "devastator" checks or whatever Chris Weidman's team called them after Silva broke his leg.

Fighters need to learn to check em, if someone checks a calf kick and their leg breaks Anderson Silva style that shit would stop quick.

agree. Check em or switch stances into a counterattack like the best guys do

Mma stance in the future

main-qimg-fef4cb29d278c022caa988070aeb14de

People will adapt. They will learn to condition their legs and to adjust their stance and to check those kicks or make the other guy pay. Or they will lose.

They can be checked just not in an mma stance. In a muay thai stance you can check them easily, you just have to decide if it's worth weakening your takedown defense for it

MMA fans are some of the biggest snowflakes I’ve ever seen to seriously suggest banning calf kicks is fucking ridiculous.

You guys arguing in favor with banning them need to put on your big boy pants it’s a fucking fight
It's not because we think they are too damaging, but they are easy to just spam and spam and spam and spam. It's almost like a cheat. As if a fighter could throw a strike that can't be stopped. It's boring.

The calf is continuing to be a game changer in this sport. What should the commentators do? Shut up about it when a fighters calf is all purple and can barely stand anymore?

Maybe you should get yourself kicked on the calf to appreciate it more in live action

Do you get tired of punches?

That isn’t a mic drop line.

All sorts of attacks have been made illegal because they would make the sport less entertaining.

I’m not saying we are there yet, or will ever get there, but it’s not a non-starter.

maybe not illegal but man it is boring when the fights are just leg kicking contests
using leg kicks to set up finishes is nice like jones did to crymier but this is just boring

Its been said by a lot of people that calf kicks cant really be defended because they cant be checked, so its pretty much you either move forward to the point where you simply dont care if you get KO'ed which is not very realistic, or you simply will be taken out of the fight.

Calf kicks can be checked with the bone, but you have to reallllllly turn your foot out, to at least 45 degrees.

If your foot is straight or anything under 45 degrees when you check, the outside muscle still gets compressed into the bone and it hurts. Felder mentioned on the broadcast that you can deal damage with calf kicks even with shin guards on, and I know from firsthand experience that he's correct. I was lazily checking with the foot not turned out enough, and over the course of sparring over a week period I developed bruising on the calf. It sucked.

That said, if you get your leg out 45 degrees when you check, it will damage both the kicker and the checker on the bone and the kicker won't be so thrilled with doing it either.

I think people will eventually learn how to counter calf kicks effectively. A lot of people say either stay at range where you can slide back, or crowd your opponent so they can't kick.

Last edited:
Back