Should I Give Up on Takedowns, and Pull Guard?

After a certain point you're correct. But, you should also realize that their are higher levels to it.

If someone gets me full blown airborne my first thought is landing safely, tucking chin, etc.

But I'm thinking pretty fast at that point.

My second thought in the air is can I roll through and sweep safely.

Usually by the time I can ask myself that question, if it was worth considering I'm often already rolling through. If not, you keep preparing for impact.

If you are in the air you 'better be' landing correctly. My point is how did you get into the air in the first place and how can you prevent that from happening again?

Last edited:
I'd generally pull guard and restrict exchanging takedowns only with most experienced and safe partners.

First, you weren't training safely. You need to train at a location with the proper equipment (i.e., you didnt mention if this was on floated mats), proper instruction (learning how to fall), and proper partners (i.e., more skilled than you, so they dont have to hurt you to win).

If you dont have the time/resources to do that though, you have to choose between engaging in this risky behavior (even though it comports with your mental ideals) or only engaging in a style of grappling you can safely do (even though it isnt your top-down "best grappler" style).

Due to some spine issues, I had to give up many aspects of BJJ that I loved to even continue in the sport. I didnt want to, because what i do now doesnt align with what i feel "perfect" grappling consists of, but when I realized pursing perfect grappling was leading to no grappling, it became quite a bit easier to accept my philosophically imperfect grappling.

Nice comment.

I've dropped judo a few times due to injury risk. Unless the guy is being a jerk, most wrestling takedowns are the equivalent of trips and seem much safer.

Also really reduced my gi training in general due to finger pain.

If you are in the air you gonna better be landing correctly. My point is how did you get into the air in the first place and how can you prevent that from happening again?

So there are these things called counters.

It's ok, you're not there yet.

When you get there you can practice stealing throws/takedowns.

So there are these things called counters.

It's ok, you're not there yet.

When you get there you can practice stealing throws/takedowns.
No need to be smug. It's not a cute look on you.

if hand fighting isn't a priority you are always going to be getting beat in the takedown game ( in grappling in general)

Lol I'll be using that later

Takedown takes much energy so if you like you can just pull guard..

As on the ground, it depends on your instructor and training partners. The problem arises when you learn standing in BJJ. So few know what they are doing, nobody is able to enforce rules and standards, and you are all back at the spazzy white belt stage.

So yes, unless your school happens to have a legitimately skilled (equivalent to BJJ black belt) standup instructor, it's very reasonable to skip standup unless you are one of the fitter guys.

Good post. Your experience is similar to mine. I am a little older than you and this is what happened to my foot while doing stand up and going all out.
LEG INJURY.jpg

At our age, body is looking for excuses to get injured. I am sure that this would happen in my 20s but not as bad. It put me out of action for a full year.

I took a judo class and was quite surprised by how much effort was put into learning how to fall. The guys throwing me in my judo class were experts compared to the ones who throw me in my BJJ class and yet they would spend a lot of time in teaching you how to fall right. BJJ stand up in contrast was a bunch of spazzy people trying to throw each other while the one throwing would not know hot to throw and the one landing did not know how to fall. It was a perfect environment for injuries and this picture shows that.

So what is the solution? I am not sure man. I think I may take up some judo, not as much to compete but more to familiarize myself with the stand up aspect of the game. They are committed to that and have a better way of going about it. BJJ school is not the place for that.

Training a takedown art not only teaches you takedowns/defense/breakfalls..
It teaches you something that is overlooked often: the ability to know when to actually secede a takedown so you dont injure yourself.

Training a takedown art not only teaches you takedowns/defense/breakfalls..
It teaches you something that is overlooked often: the ability to know when to actually secede a takedown so you dont injure yourself.

best post possible.

Even if you do train neutral game, pulling guard anyways is more optimal for success in bjj competition.

If that makes you feel uncomfortable, you can compromise with sit-up guard/'wrestle from your butt' style.

Back