Should I return to Boxing, Muay Thai or Both?

In my experience (I transferred to combat sambo after 18 years in boxing, at 37 y.o.), for a previously un-used to grappling person, you get a lot of small but irritating injuries while training. Better to stick with purely striking arts, IMHO.
Grappling can be hard on the body, but it mostly depends on who you are training with and your approach to rolls. If you go balls to the wall with an ego, then sure, injuries are imminent, but I think the same could be said of sparring.

I maintain that for someone at his age, with a history of cte, and a background in stand up, a little bjj with a good coach and partners would be a nice addition to his toolset.

It's really up to op though. He never mentioned bjj, so maybe he has zero interest.

I get that feeling too, but then I imagine having to diet and do road work again while refraining from a few cold
Beers at the end of my week and wisely decide to continue focusing on coaching instead

That's when I wonder if it's possible to do it all. Train half ass and still eat whatever I want etc.

I get that feeling too, but then I imagine having to diet and do road work again while refraining from a few cold
Beers at the end of my week and wisely decide to continue focusing on coaching instead

We should start taking bets on how long it takes before you become a pot-bellied pad holder. :D

Maybe I'm weird, I have a bum knee myself but I found that Muay Thai was easier and less painful than boxing. Granted, I started in kickboxing & MT and had way more experience there than I did in boxing where I started late and only had a few years of training before I stepped away from everything. Boxing for me needed more footwork & movement than MT, and the boxing stance & footwork was harder on my bad knee than MT. It's hard to say how much of it was because it was actually harder or because I was a boxing noob and not nearly as used to it as I was to MT.

It's definitely a kickboxing to boxing thing. I found the same. The footwork is just so different. I had to wear a knee brace for a while when I started but things improved. Pivoting for a kick just feels so different than pivoting for a punch. Used to drive the punch rather than allow momentum of the kick, if that makes sense. More planted in boxing. Lower stance, since you can't block anything with your knee coming up. Footwork feels more structured but also a lot more unnatural in boxing.

Maybe it's also harder because you're distributing the strikes less. Hitting with 8 points of impact instead of two. But still, in the long run I'm still betting that boxing will take less of a toll.

ps: seems like a lot of us are going through the same midlife crisis lol all +30 sherdog folks, let's get together and enjoy a BBQ with beers and cigarettes, fuck this bullshit haha if we get driunk we can bash each other with bottles, sticks and stones

Jokes aside, 2020 was a bitch.
Oh man absolutely, I'm turning 30 this year. I coach volunteer at an amateur club and last fought as an amateur in 2014, but I have a bum shoulder. I always thought I'd end up training again seriously and taking a couple professional fights at some stage but it's not happened. Last year I started getting fit and training with that in mind, but then tweaked my shoulder again and then the pandemic hit. Now I'm thinking of moving country and other big life shit and also wondering if I even have the motivation or desire to fight again. The monotony of 2020's lockdown days hasn't helped the feelings of mid life crises I think, as for some people 2020 felt like wasted time.

I've only boxed, but If I had more money and time I would do both, use boxing to supplement Muay Thai. Pretty much Dutch kickboxing type.

So like 3 days a week boxing and 4-6 days a week Muay Thai. I prefer using hands, but want to be proficient/good with knees/elbows/kicks/clinch, offensively and defensively.

I was considering Muay Thai instead of boxing, but I felt I didn't have the flexibility for it.

Oh man absolutely, I'm turning 30 this year. I coach volunteer at an amateur club and last fought as an amateur in 2014, but I have a bum shoulder. I always thought I'd end up training again seriously and taking a couple professional fights at some stage but it's not happened. Last year I started getting fit and training with that in mind, but then tweaked my shoulder again and then the pandemic hit. Now I'm thinking of moving country and other big life shit and also wondering if I even have the motivation or desire to fight again. The monotony of 2020's lockdown days hasn't helped the feelings of mid life crises I think, as for some people 2020 felt like wasted time.

Come to Australia bud.

I remember reading that Australia had zeroed new covid cases back in january. Also read these days that New Zealand had a lockdown because three new cases (cases, not deaths) were diagnosed. Brazil is just sad rn... 1200 people dying everyday, no solid plan to vaccinate people, URGH! if envy killed I'd be dead

I remember reading that Australia had zeroed new covid cases back in january. Also read these days that New Zealand had a lockdown because three new cases (cases, not deaths) were diagnosed. Brazil is just sad rn... 1200 people dying everyday, no solid plan to vaccinate people, URGH! if envy killed I'd be dead
NZ and Australia have astronomically low amounts of it. Australia has roughly 28 million people and we have about 2000 active cases. NZ has about 6 active cases.

I have a bum knee from getting it popped twice in jiu jitsu. I do muay thai, however getting some privates from a boxing coach did me good in the beginning. My knee limits the kicks I can do safely with that leg, but I'm not competing anymore so who the fuck cares.

So far I'm yet to even go back to the gym. The other night I was supposed to go but I decided to eat an entire wheel of cheese instead.

That's ma boi Waldawg! Never turns away from an eating challenge!

Back