Should I workout twice a day?

Hitman81

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Currently I workout once a day about 60-75 min every afternoon. I have a full time job and I'm a single father of 2 elementary school children. Feels like I'm doing enough but I'm trying to go next level with my fitness and I'm usually bored a few hours after my workout. My question is will implementing a morning workout help take me to the next level? And if so what should I do to keep my mind and body engaged? I have a power rack with barbell, curl bar, plenty of weight. Current routine

Monday: Narrow grip bench press 15 sets at 10 reps
Tuesday: Deadlift 10 sets at 10 reps, barbell row 10 sets at 10 reps, 1.5 mile run
Wednesday: barbell curl 10 sets at 10 reps, overhead press 10 sets at 10 reps
Thursday: barbell squat 10 sets at 10 reps, 10 sets of 10 lunges, 1.5 mile run
Friday: wide grip bench press 15 sets at 10 reps
Saturday: 6 pull ups EMOM for 30 minutes, 1.5 mile run
Sunday: 60 min stationary bike

Fill that spare time with something else. Join jiu jitsu, crossfit, book club, whatever.

I think you just need a better program.
Most people respond best to some days off. 2-a-days can work if you're smart about intensity.
Agree - I think 4-5 days a week (via a good program) with planned rest will provide better results.

In your mind, what does "taking my fitness to the next level" really mean? So far you haven't really outlined any tangible goals. Your training should reflect those goals.

Also, consider separating your lifting and cardio by about 6 hours since there's good evidence that it will improve your performance and progress in both when you give your body some time to recover a bit. That'll at least scratch your twice daily workout itch.

Always been a fan of 2x a day when it's possible.

Cardio Am - Weights/strength/sport specific stuff PM.

Imo 2x 30min sessions gives far more return than the equivalent 1x 60min.

Also allows you to train fasted while not penalising performance and really sets you up for the day.

If you already work out seven days a week with that many sets and with those rep ranges you aren't lifting heavy enough. Even if your goal is just to look pretty you could stand for less volume.

Also, consider separating your lifting and cardio by about 6 hours since there's good evidence that it will improve your performance and progress in both when you give your body some time to recover a bit. That'll at least scratch your twice daily workout itch.

Came to post exactly this

In your mind, what does "taking my fitness to the next level" really mean? So far you haven't really outlined any tangible goals. Your training should reflect those goals.

I don’t know exactly other than to get in better all around shape. I would like to get stronger but also maintain good cardio and flexibility. I've gone the heavy route and I just don't like how my body looks and feels when I do that. So I've tried to stay strong but leaner by doing less weight and more reps.

But I think you're right about splitting the cardio to a different time. I usually do it at the end of my workout and sometimes I'm already fairly tired.

Always been a fan of 2x a day when it's possible.

Cardio Am - Weights/strength/sport specific stuff PM.

Imo 2x 30min sessions gives far more return than the equivalent 1x 60min.

Also allows you to train fasted while not penalising performance and really sets you up for the day.
Think I'll give that a try, thanks!

If you already work out seven days a week with that many sets and with those rep ranges you aren't lifting heavy enough. Even if your goal is just to look pretty you could stand for less volume.
I've gone the heavier route and I didn't really like the results. I have intentionally backed off trying to stay more lean and flexible without giving up too much strength

I've gone the heavier route and I didn't really like the results. I have intentionally backed off trying to stay more lean and flexible without giving up too much strength

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5969184/

Your rep/set scheme kinda looks like German Volume Training. This study shows that 5x10 can be just as effective( possibly better) as 10x10. What percentage of your 1 rep max are you using when doing your 10x10 lifts? If you scale back your main lift volume by 50% you'll have a good amount of time and energy left over for some accessory lifts. You'd make the same gains with 5x10 and be able to bring up some weak points in your physique. Seems like a no brainer.

I don’t know exactly other than to get in better all around shape. I would like to get stronger but also maintain good cardio and flexibility. I've gone the heavy route and I just don't like how my body looks and feels when I do that. So I've tried to stay strong but leaner by doing less weight and more reps.

But I think you're right about splitting the cardio to a different time. I usually do it at the end of my workout and sometimes I'm already fairly tired.

Agree with @wufabufa. What are your goals? Would you like to be able to lift more weight? If so, 15 sets of 10 doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I guess it depends on your history and personal goals. I would suppose even a small increase in load would result in a pretty big difference in overall fatigue, since, you know, you're doing 15 sets of 10. I imagine progress must be pretty slow in terms of load on the bar at that kind of volume, no?

Your template seems like something set up for endurance and hypertrophy without much emphasis in maximal strength. If that's something you're OK with, then that's fine. Even then, I'm not sure if there's much of a point to doing so many sets. What kind of numbers are you putting up? Is this something you had to scale up to over time in order to keep making progress or how did you come up with it?

How were you training? Which results didn't you like? Different rep ranges won't make you less flexible or less lean, there's no real connection between those things. If you want to be in good "general shape" then a variety of rep ranges would make sense, since you get different adaptations from different kinds of training, and you'd be prepared for more possible scenarios (if that is what you mean by "being in shape"). You don't really need to do singles if you don't want to, but right now your program is completely specialized towards 10-rep sets. As far as engagement or escaping boredom, I think some variety in your program in terms of rep ranges and exercise selection would help too.

Last edited:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5969184/

Your rep/set scheme kinda looks like German Volume Training. This study shows that 5x10 can be just as effective( possibly better) as 10x10. What percentage of your 1 rep max are you using when doing your 10x10 lifts? If you scale back your main lift volume by 50% you'll have a good amount of time and energy left over for some accessory lifts. You'd make the same gains with 5x10 and be able to bring up some weak points in your physique. Seems like a no brainer.

I've done the 5x10 thing before. I tend to switch up my routine about every 3 months because I get bored or I feel like I've stopped making progress. Most of the same exercises but changing up the reps/weight. I'm entering month 3 of my current routine. Right now I'm getting up to around 70% of my 5 rep max doing sets of 10 (I don't tend to do singles). Generally I do a progression of around 3-5 sets to get to my 10 rep max and then try to hold that weight for the remainder of the sets. Sometimes I may need to drop but the goal was to get my muscles to failure quicker and then hold it for the duration. In the past I've done a lot longer progression and then hitting my max at the very end. Didn't feel like my body was responding doing it that way, now I get a good pump early and try to maintain it.

Agree with @wufabufa. What are your goals? Would you like to be able to lift more weight? If so, 15 sets of 10 doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I guess it depends on your history and personal goals. I would suppose even a small increase in load would result in a pretty big difference in overall fatigue, since, you know, you're doing 15 sets of 10. I imagine progress must be pretty slow in terms of load on the bar at that kind of volume, no?

Your template seems like something set up for endurance and hypertrophy without much emphasis in maximal strength. If that's something you're OK with, then that's fine. Even then, I'm not sure if there's much of a point to doing so many sets. What kind of numbers are you putting up? Is this something you had to scale up to over time in order to keep making progress or how did you come up with it?

How were you training? Which results didn't you like? Different rep ranges won't make you less flexible or less lean, there's no real connection between those things. If you want to be in good "general shape" then a variety of rep ranges would make sense, since you get different adaptations from different kinds of training, and you'd be prepared for more possible scenarios (if that is what you mean by "being in shape"). You don't really need to do singles if you don't want to, but right now your program is completely specialized towards 10-rep sets. As far as engagement or escaping boredom, I think some variety in your program in terms of rep ranges and exercise selection would help too.

Yes I would like to be able to lift more but I also don't like getting puffy and losing flexibility. My overall goal is to lift heavy while maintaining a still somewhat leaner physique. Muscle mass is great but I'm not trying to walk around not being able to move my neck.

Progress can be slow yes, every week I try to go up 5 lbs and even that is difficult to sustain. Right now I'm getting to about 235 on bench press doing 10. When I was doing 5 it was around 325. I settled on sets of 10 because that's what I thought would build leaner muscle based on what I'd heard/read. I want to lift more but I also try to be honest with myself and I feel like if I can't do the set cleanly and without a ton of struggle than I just can't do it. I find if I can rep them out smoothly my muscles respond better. When not it feels like a struggle and I'm not lifting properly and my joints suffer.

The results I don't like are feeling puffy and bloated, losing flexibility, joint pain, etc. I also enjoy biking, running, golfing so getting really swole doesn't help me.

You've mentioned mentioned being more flexible and reducing joint pain. Have you thought of incorporating bodyweight training (hindu pushups/squats, lunge matrix, step ups, crawling movements, etc.) into your routine. These sorts of movements won't make you feel bloated or tight and allow you to lift weights same day if you chose to, provided you don't overdo it.

Here's an example of a lunge matrix if you're not familar:

Last edited:
I do athletic training after waking up 3 times a week and lift everyday after work. So, basically twice a day training.

My athletic training routine is mostly explosivness, flexibility, mobility, core stability and some technique drills for grappling and boxing.

Appreciate the input. I'm going to make two changes beginning today. First off moving my cardio from after weight training to 6 hours earlier in the AM as well as doubling the length to 20 minutes.

Secondly going to change some exercises to 10 sets of 5 including deadlift, squat, overhead press and wide grip bench press. Basically going to try and push heavier weight with the bigger muscles.

Appreciate the input. I'm going to make two changes beginning today. First off moving my cardio from after weight training to 6 hours earlier in the AM as well as doubling the length to 20 minutes.

Secondly going to change some exercises to 10 sets of 5 including deadlift, squat, overhead press and wide grip bench press. Basically going to try and push heavier weight with the bigger muscles.
Sounds good but 10x5 is too many sets - 5x5 would be better. If strength is your goal then you need to be lifting heavy and if you can do 10 sets the weight is too low.

Be stronger won't make you less lean, puffy or less flexible assuming you stretch and your diet okay.

Where are you getting the idea that heavier weights will cause this?

Sounds good but 10x5 is too many sets - 5x5 would be better. If strength is your goal then you need to be lifting heavy and if you can do 10 sets the weight is too low.
It takes me 5 sets just to warm up, the last 5 are usually my max.

Back