Opinion Should The Next James Bond Be A Woman? Daniel Craig Makes His Feelings Crystal Clear

I will never understand people who get roaringly upset about this type of thing.

They're fictional characters and fictional characters get re-written every so often to appeal to a new generation of fans. To take the Bond thing since it's thread specific -- rewriting James Bond as a woman would obviously completely alter the origin and baseline of the character. I don't think anyone argues otherwise. It seems supremely inane for people to say "You can't rewrite this character as this or that because it doesn't match the origin." Well, yeah, a re-write would have to be a fairly significant alteration to many details while keeping other elements similar.

I see the whole thing as part of the larger and very normal fight against change as older generations fight to keep the future fairly close to their childhood memories. But future generations want their own versions of things, versions that reflect society as they see it. And to do that, characters have to get re-written, origin stories get changed, etc.

Maybe as a comic book fan as a kid, I got used to this. My dad had a bunch of old comics and one of them was a graphic novel featuring Captain Marvell fighting Thanos and dying of cancer. Fast forward to this generation of kids and no one cares about that version of Captain Marvel or Thanos. Yet it didn't stop people from watching the movie or accepting the Carol Danvers characters.

I guess I can understand some disappointment when a fictional character moves in the new direction with a new origin story but I don't think I'll ever understand the scale of the investment people have in this.

They get upset, (and yes, some people get UPSET) because they are boring no life having losers.

It's as simple as that.

The issue is that Flemming clearly states in the 'Lie and let die' novel that Bond is white. Hollywood has no right to distort a writer's created works for the sake of ideology. That would be like painting a hijab on the Mona Lisa.

I personally don't think Elba would be a good addition because he is too old to play a good action role but bringing him in as a different character would be fine.
Stated or not being white isn’t a fundamental part of the character. What was his hair color according to the author? We could get outraged about that too.

You can’t make him a woman. That fundamentally changes the character. Being a modern, sophisticated British man isn’t exclusively white today. We could argue about whether he is right for the role based in merit and that’s a matter of opinion. Personally I think he is a much better actor than the role demands.

Imagine not having enough creative talent to envision a new character, and instead virtue signal and try to claim racism or sexism.

It's nothing but excuses and laziness in every direction.

I will never understand people who get roaringly upset about this type of thing.

They're fictional characters and fictional characters get re-written every so often to appeal to a new generation of fans. To take the Bond thing since it's thread specific -- rewriting James Bond as a woman would obviously completely alter the origin and baseline of the character. I don't think anyone argues otherwise. It seems supremely inane for people to say "You can't rewrite this character as this or that because it doesn't match the origin." Well, yeah, a re-write would have to be a fairly significant alteration to many details while keeping other elements similar.

I see the whole thing as part of the larger and very normal fight against change as older generations fight to keep the future fairly close to their childhood memories. But future generations want their own versions of things, versions that reflect society as they see it. And to do that, characters have to get re-written, origin stories get changed, etc.

Maybe as a comic book fan as a kid, I got used to this. My dad had a bunch of old comics and one of them was a graphic novel featuring Captain Marvell fighting Thanos and dying of cancer. Fast forward to this generation of kids and no one cares about that version of Captain Marvel or Thanos. Yet it didn't stop people from watching the movie or accepting the Carol Danvers characters.

I guess I can understand some disappointment when a fictional character moves in the new direction with a new origin story but I don't think I'll ever understand the scale of the investment people have in this.
You should be asking why these fragments of society are unable to create their own stories and characters and instead take the easy road and leech off existing ideas. Nothing like recycling due to incompetency.

Have to disagree. Nothing in Hollywood would surprise me. And if you loved the character you would care. I'm not a comic book fan but if they made The Hulk Pink and Gay people would be pissed. They literally DO change a character for the sake of diversity, despite source material, history, or respect to quality. They have done it dozens of times. If they do as you say and make the character after the Bond timeline, thats fine, but its not Bond. The very essence of Bond is a throwback womanizing, suave but damaged spy. They have done similar things with woman...Atomic Blonde, Salt, Red Sparrow, Hanna, Rhythm Section.....No need to fuck with a beloved character. Let him die or move on and call her 008., but pay respect to it. I do not fight change at all......Im a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. They did a season on Netflix with Sherlock as a loser drug addict, with mixed races of kids solving mysteries. Called the Irregulars, I dug it. BECAUSE Sherlock could have went that way...could have become that. New Gallactica made Starbuck a chick, it worked. Making a remake of Doogie Howser, One Day at a Time, The wonder Years, and just adding people of color is just Lazy. Its unoriginal, and pandering. Create new stories for these people, because I agree there is lack of representation for certain groups, Asians being the leaders.

Somr overpaid useless movie mogul cuck - "how about we remake sharknado, but instead of sharks , we use seaguls". Hollywood " oh yeah seems so inclusive, great idea for a movie called sharknado"

The thing it, the more woke Hollywood has become, the more I find myself simply uninterested in their product and other things fill that space in my life. So let them do it and millions of fans will simply tune out.

But realistically, they won’t do it. “Get woke go broke” may not have fully set in but it’s becoming an increasingly inescapable reality for businesses/investors. Unless you’re operating in a narrowly defined niche, broader audiences just don’t want a heaping dose of politics to go with everything they consume.
I read an OpEd promoted by Steve Sailor, a well known alt-right pundit, that Hollywood is casting minorities or women in characters normally associated with White males because there is a lack of original ideas in Hollywood, so to seem fresh and attract people they use minority / female casting as a gimmick.

I read an OpEd promoted by Steve Sailor, a well known alt-right pundit, that Hollywood is casting minorities or women in characters normally associated with White males because there is a lack of original ideas in Hollywood, so to seem fresh and attract people they use minority / female casting as a gimmick.
When your cultural clique finds everything racist or problematic you effectively paint yourself into a corner on what ideas, topics and dialogue you can write. It's not so much that Hollywood is out of ideas per se, it's that not only are they hyper focused on known commodities that have been proven sellers but they also have strangled their ability to be actually creative.

Have to disagree. Nothing in Hollywood would surprise me. And if you loved the character you would care. I'm not a comic book fan but if they made The Hulk Pink and Gay people would be pissed. They literally DO change a character for the sake of diversity, despite source material, history, or respect to quality. They have done it dozens of times. If they do as you say and make the character after the Bond timeline, thats fine, but its not Bond. The very essence of Bond is a throwback womanizing, suave but damaged spy. They have done similar things with woman...Atomic Blonde, Salt, Red Sparrow, Hanna, Rhythm Section.....No need to fuck with a beloved character. Let him die or move on and call her 008., but pay respect to it. I do not fight change at all......Im a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. They did a season on Netflix with Sherlock as a loser drug addict, with mixed races of kids solving mysteries. Called the Irregulars, I dug it. BECAUSE Sherlock could have went that way...could have become that. New Gallactica made Starbuck a chick, it worked. Making a remake of Doogie Howser, One Day at a Time, The wonder Years, and just adding people of color is just Lazy. Its unoriginal, and pandering. Create new stories for these people, because I agree there is lack of representation for certain groups, Asians being the leaders.
But they did make the hulk red and smart along with several other manifestations. Red hulk was a criminal even. .

Changing these characters up is nothing new. It would be new not to innovate.

You should be asking why these fragments of society are unable to create their own stories and characters and instead take the easy road and leech off existing ideas. Nothing like recycling due to incompetency.
That's a weird angle. Pretty much everything gets re-written and it's been going on for millennia. Hell, Grimm's Fairy Tales featured the Brothers Grimm re-writing quite well-known fairy tales for their audience of the time. Hundreds of years later, no one calls their re-writes "incompetency".

You can't seriously believe that every time in history that a well known story was changed and told to a new generation it was incompetency.

That's a weird angle. Pretty much everything gets re-written and it's been going on for millennia. Hell, Grimm's Fairy Tales featured the Brothers Grimm re-writing quite well-known fairy tales for their audience of the time. Hundreds of years later, no one calls their re-writes "incompetency".

You can't seriously believe that every time in history that a well known story was changed and told to a new generation it was incompetency.
We're talking about modern creativity Pan, not folklore that varies through time.

We're talking about people virtue signalling to avoid creation - it's a direct symptom of laziness in an uninspired society.

We're also not talking about one or two outliers over centuries. We're talking about hundreds, if not thousands of rehashed stories (of modern origin no less) in the last decade.

They should make a James Bond who uses the pronouns they, theirs and them and wears pantsuits like Hillary. Give them a .22 they carry around in a purse.
The funny thing is that if they actually did that, and we all made a thread about how stupid it is, you would be among the first to defend it.

<Fedor23>

Because you are not a fan. Also it doesn't appeal to actual fans so this chl

Your inability to understand stems from the fact that you aren't a fan yourself. This isn't rocket science.

Could Daniel Day-Lewis have played a convincing Bond?

daniel-day-lewis.jpg
Yes, but would he even want to?

Actually, viewership for her debut episode were higher than Capaldi's debut episode, so a lot of people were interested in that.

The reason viewership dropped had more to do with the poor material being written and Chibnall being a rubbish showrunner than the Doctor being a woman especially since the show and other Doctor Who media (one of the earliest examples being the 1999 BBC Doctor Who novel, Interference - Book Two) before that have hinted or confirmed that Timelords can change gender and skin color.

I attended Gallifrey One a couple of years ago. Some folks from the Doctor Who show were on a discussion panel and commented that as a Time Lord, it doesn't matter whether the Doctor regenerates as a man, a woman or even a dog. It would still be the Doctor. At that point, I was pretty much done watching the show.

IMO, the decision to have the Doctor regenerate into a female was a woke one rather than being a nod toward canon.

Personally, this is a female Time Lord worth watching... ;)

930ffba4a0f4f5841b40334eb91a2eaa.jpg

We're talking about modern creativity Pan, not folklore that varies through time.

We're talking about people virtue signalling to avoid creation - it's a direct symptom of laziness in an uninspired society.

We're also not talking about one or two outliers over centuries. We're talking about hundreds, if not thousands of rehashed stories (of modern origin no less) in the last decade.
He's basically saying there is no agenda at play because <insert reason>. The people pushing this will probably openly and frankly give the reasoning too, if they haven't already, something something catchphrase "inclusion and change", "progress".

It should be a black trans women with a penis in a wheelchair but only if she identifies as a man.

Would audition to be a “bond guy.”

People know that fiction can be created and that a spy series featuring a woman lead can easily be written. Why hijack already established franchises to meet an agenda?

Back