Shoulder replacement surgery

Daveb

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Well my life just got thrown for a loop.

Around 2014 I started having lots of pain in both my shoulders. They constantly ached and slowly but surely I started to lose range of motion. I was still competing a lot at the time and had a mantra of just ignore the pain. I was in a good phase medaling at pans and master worlds as a brown belt and taking a bronze at pans my first year as a blackbelt. I figured I had torn Labrum's but just thought I'd take care of it down the road.

Fast forward to 2018 and was at a point where I could no longer raise my hands above shoulder level and could no longer even do one push-up. I figured time to get the shoulders fixed. After a MRI an orthopedic surgeon told me I had bone tumors (benign) growing on the head of both of my humorous bones ( the arm bone connecting to the shoulder)

These were basically jagged bone spurs that had shredded my Labrum's to the lint surgery couldn't fix it. Doc told me I had the equivalent of arthritic shoulders of an 80 year old man. He said the only way I could get relief was a full shoulder replacement. Problem was I am too young a candidate and that the replacements aren't durable so that would be the end of contact sports. I make my living Teaching bjj so we decided I would just ride it out as long as possible.

With the knowledge I started my own school with the hope I could set up something that I could run and make a living off once I can no longer be on the mat. Everything went great I had 130 students within 1 year and was setting myself up where I could afford to bring in an instructor when the day comes. Then stupid Covid hit. I spent pretty much all of Covid doing private lessons 5-6 a day trying to keep the academy from closing.

I think all the wear and tear of that though pushed my shoulders over the edge. Constant pain and now can't lift my elbows past nipple level. Saw surgeon again who said I'm now in end stage arthritis. I have chunks of bone breaking off the humorous just floating around now. If I don't get the shoulders replaced now they won't be able to do it in the future. Going to do my right arm first in September. Looks my days of rolling have come to an end.

I've told my students I'm getting surgery but haven't told them the extent of the injury. Still in denial I guess

I've never had any job but Bjj as an adult and the idea of life without training is very scary to me. Moral of the story I guess is appreciate what you got before it's gone. Also take care of your body

Here is a clip of what turned out to be my final competition match. Luckily got to go out with gold

Really sorry to hear this man. Not being able to do BJJ anymore is one of my biggest worries. I've recently been trying to do a lot of GI without gripping anything in order to give me fingers a break. It's been hard since I rely on the grips a lot but I'd rather that then mess up my hands permanently.

A friend of mine had a shoulder replacement at 32 after a bad motorcycle accident. I don't envy your position. I'm not nearly as badly off as you are, but I feel a bit of your pain as I've had to give up BJJ after six knee and two hip surgeries. You can take some solace from the other side that life does go on after training.

Last edited:

Around 2014 I started having lots of pain in both my shoulders. They constantly ached and slowly but surely I started to lose range of motion. I was still competing a lot at the time and had a mantra of just ignore the pain. I was in a good phase medaling at pans and master worlds as a brown belt and taking a bronze at pans my first year as a blackbelt. I figured I had torn Labrum's but just thought I'd take care of it down the road.

Fast forward to 2018 and was at a point where I could no longer raise my hands above shoulder level and could no longer even do one push-up. I figured time to get the shoulders fixed. After a MRI an orthopedic surgeon told me I had bone tumors (benign) growing on the head of both of my humorous bones ( the arm bone connecting to the shoulder)

These were basically jagged bone spurs that had shredded my Labrum's to the lint surgery couldn't fix it. Doc told me I had the equivalent of arthritic shoulders of an 80 year old man. He said the only way I could get relief was a full shoulder replacement. Problem was I am too young a candidate and that the replacements aren't durable so that would be the end of contact sports. I make my living Teaching bjj so we decided I would just ride it out as long as possible.

With the knowledge I started my own school with the hope I could set up something that I could run and make a living off once I can no longer be on the mat. Everything went great I had 130 students within 1 year and was setting myself up where I could afford to bring in an instructor when the day comes. Then stupid Covid hit. I spent pretty much all of Covid doing private lessons 5-6 a day trying to keep the academy from closing.

I think all the wear and tear of that though pushed my shoulders over the edge. Constant pain and now can't lift my elbows past nipple level. Saw surgeon again who said I'm now in end stage arthritis. I have chunks of bone breaking off the humorous just floating around now. If I don't get the shoulders replaced now they won't be able to do it in the future. Going to do my right arm first in September. Looks my days of rolling have come to an end.

I've told my students I'm getting surgery but haven't told them the extent of the injury. Still in denial I guess

I've never had any job but Bjj as an adult and the idea of life without training is very scary to me. Moral of the story I guess is appreciate what you got before it's gone. Also take care of your body

Here is a clip of what turned out to be my final competition match. Luckily got to go out with gold

Walk away with no regrets and look back on it as just a part of your life. The next part of your life is coming, find something else you’re passionate about.

Extending the deepest sympathies as a fellow osteoarthritis patent!

I was told I had to get a total hip replacement and wouldn't be able to take the impact of Judo anymore. I did hours of research and found the procedure called hip resurfacing where they only take the top layers of bone off of the femoral head rather than taking the head and neck and patents can go back to full impact sports and activities.

Maybe look up other surgical procedures that might not be as common as the replacement. I found resurfacing on hip replacement recovery chat rooms, so maybe check the equivalent for shoulder replacement.

Just a quick look....

Arthroscopic Biologic Total Shoulder Resurfacing

https://www.columbusshoulderdoc.com/contents/tsr-alternatives

I don't envy you, TS. I hope that everything will turn out to be ok for you. I've been training muay thai for quite some time now and in the past year or so I started to have really bad pain in my right shoulder. I often wake up in the middle of the night because of the pain...this thread made me worried even more..

I’m sorry to hear about that man. It’s always hard to deal with injuries and this is tied to your making a living. Are both shoulders equally as bad?

I don’t know if you believe in Accupuncture or even some of those alternative chiropractors like Dr. Hightower (look him up on YouTube) but maybe you should try some of those other treatments.

You can also adapt your game to try to work around your issues like doing body lock passing or making your game use less upper body reliant. I mean you still use your upper body but within your shoulder range of motion.

As for teaching, you can do video editing style like Farias does in his instructionals. Encourage students to bring a drilling partner or dummy so you don’t have to do it yourself. This is actually encouraged so students can see the move and not just feel it.

Good luck man.

I’m sorry to hear about that man. It’s always hard to deal with injuries and this is tied to your making a living. Are both shoulders equally as bad?

I don’t know if you believe in Accupuncture or even some of those alternative chiropractors like Dr. Hightower (look him up on YouTube) but maybe you should try some of those other treatments.

You can also adapt your game to try to work around your issues like doing body lock passing or making your game use less upper body reliant. I mean you still use your upper body but within your shoulder range of motion.

As for teaching, you can do video editing style like Farias does in his instructionals. Encourage students to bring a drilling partner or dummy so you don’t have to do it yourself. This is actually encouraged so students can see the move and not just feel it.

Good luck man.

Thanks both shoulders are bad but right is slightly worse. I've tried acupuncture, chiros ( I know Hightower) massage and physical therapists over the past 7 years. Shoulders just kept getting progressively worse, even seen multiple surgeons and all gave the same opinion.

I've evolved my jiu jitsu to use as little arms as possible. That's one of the most frustrating parts is that I can still roll at a high level it's just exceedingly painful. The few students I've told about the extent of the injuries seem in disbelief because they see me still able to do well with high level blackbelts and MMA guys who visit

damn sorry to hear it dude i've competed in wrestling, MMA, and BJJ for over thirty years now and my left shoulder is wrecked. i feel your pain. mine is inflamed / ruptured bicep tendon where it connects to the shoulder under the anterior delt.

never saw this coming

you young whipper snappers listen up..... BJJ/Grappling, and Heavy Weightlifting has a price down the road. If you can embrace light weight high reps and leave your ego at 25 when you're 45 you wont fall apart.

Thanks both shoulders are bad but right is slightly worse. I've tried acupuncture, chiros ( I know Hightower) massage and physical therapists over the past 7 years. Shoulders just kept getting progressively worse, even seen multiple surgeons and all gave the same opinion.

I've evolved my jiu jitsu to use as little arms as possible. That's one of the most frustrating parts is that I can still roll at a high level it's just exceedingly painful. The few students I've told about the extent of the injuries seem in disbelief because they see me still able to do well with high level blackbelts and MMA guys who visit

My guess is that instead of relying on your grips you move your body.

I feel this could be me also soon.

Im nowhere near your level or length of time on the mats etc, but i had to give this up after a few years cos i couldnt get rid of a back problem . Basically if im on my back and someones putting any pressure on me, theres a real bad pain near my spine. Also it doesnt need to be 200lb guys on me for it to hurt, and im pretty much stuck if im on the bottom, as its almost impossible to do much on my back from the pain.

Anyway, ive literally just started back training BJJ ( got more into boxing when i gave up BJJ , and no issues with the back really standing ), as i miss the grappling, plus i try to be reasonably well versed in a few martial arts.

But already ive been feeling the back problem after only being back a few times.

Like you, im kind of telling myself that i can work through it, and try and learn to adapt, but id rather i could get the problem fixed, and if not, ill have to give it up.

The difference for you, is that its your livelihood also. That part i have no advice for you man. Just that hopefully the surgery can allow you to continue to teach, even if it means you cant be rolling much.
Im sure there are alot of older teachers who dont spar often.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

E6A79AD6-BFBB-476D-A9CC-DC6C4A537281.jpeg had the surgery on Wednesday here is a pic of the bones they excavated that was just floating around. Recovery is pretty painful so far but a little better everyday

View attachment 878991 had the surgery on Wednesday here is a pic of the bones they excavated that was just floating around. Recovery is pretty painful so far but a little better everyday

Hopefully you have a speedy recovery. Do you think you'll at least go back to teaching?

Just this week I've been dealing with shoulder pain -- which I find strange because there wasn't an acute incident that I can point to. It just started to feel sore the day after training.

Usually I just shake it off and give it a day or two, but this time it's starting to scare me. Keeps getting worse.

I've been training for 15 years and maybe it's just a general wear and tear thing.

View attachment 878991 had the surgery on Wednesday here is a pic of the bones they excavated that was just floating around. Recovery is pretty painful so far but a little better everyday
I wish you a speedy recovery. I’m sure you’re still able to teach. Danaher also has health issues and has found ways around it. I think on his bad days, he gets somebody else to demonstrate it but he will explain it. Have you seen any of firias instructional? He teaches like a football / basketball coach with arrows and stuff. Heck, gene lebell teaches at gokors place and he probably has a lot of physical limitations. I think you can still demonstrate a move and as long as you can do that, I think you will be okay. Hoping for the best for you.

Back