Side Kick Sniper

What I really like with your side kick is it doesn't visually make sense, it just sort of floats up and shoves people away - it doesn't look like it takes any effort, and it doesn't look like they're going to be sent back as far as they are

What I really like with your side kick is it doesn't visually make sense, it just sort of floats up and shoves people away - it doesn't look like it takes any effort, and it doesn't look like they're going to be sent back as far as they are

Thanks man, I put a lot of stock in drawing out attacks so I can hit them while off balance or as they come directly towards the kick.

Also I'm too thick to get the f11 reference xD

Loving the recent appreciation for side kicks, here's a bunch from my last few fights!

(Not posted here in a while, been injured and shit :( hope you're all good though!)

Thing of beauty, bud.

Could you walk through the sequence that starts around 16 seconds in? It almost looks like you shoulder-roll to defend a lazy high rear roundhouse, which narrows your stance for the sidekick.

What is your background? Taekwondo?

Thing of beauty, bud.

Ty my friend!

Could you walk through the sequence that starts around 16 seconds in? It almost looks like you shoulder-roll to defend a lazy high rear roundhouse, which narrows your stance for the sidekick.

What is your background? Taekwondo?

I'd love to! I saw the kick coming from the setup, jumped my legs back together so I could get more body weight pushing back into the kick. If you look you can see I bring my feet really far back so it's almost like a Karate blitz bring my whole body weight forwards, instead of just lifting the leg to kick. Just before my legs disappear behind the ref you can see my rear leg pivot out which opens my hips, knee goes high on the kicking leg and now there is more space for my heel to accelerate before it hits the target.

My back ground is Shukokai Karate and then onto Freestyle Karate / Kickboxing. I swear by a lot of Taekwondo training though.

Last edited:
Ty my friend!

I'd love to! I saw the kick coming from the setup, jumped my legs back together so I could get more body weight pushing back into the kick. If you look you can see I bring my feet really far back so it's almost like a Karate blitz bring my whole body weight forwards, instead of just lifting the leg to kick. Just before my legs disappear behind the ref you can see my rear leg pivot out which opens my hips, knee goes high on the kicking leg and now there is more space for my heel to accelerate before it hits the target.

My back ground is Shukokai Karate and then onto Freestyle Karate / Kickboxing. I swear by a lot of Taekwondo training though.

Are you initiating the pivot then kicking? Or is it at the same time? I've been trying to learn this for some time. Great stuff, thanks!

Are you initiating the pivot then kicking? Or is it at the same time? I've been trying to learn this for some time. Great stuff, thanks!

On this one pivot first then kick. I forget what it's called but when you bounce like that you get more force out of your muscles. So I'm skipping backwards then using that to bounce back, pivot and the bounce push me forwards so it's got body weight behind the kick. You could just kick at the same time and drive it out like a spear but I like to snap the kick and rechamber in case the kick was too weak or misses and they try to grab it or move in again.
A really good drill is to do the first part of the kick really slowly hold for a second then push into the kick from there. So just hold your chamber, remove all momentum and now you can only get power from your supporting leg and kick extension.

Awesome video! As someone who is good at side kicks, how does one beat side kicks? They seem pretty hard to deal with.

Lateral movement! Anything that comes on you from a straight line (think of 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) can be avoided by moving laterally (left to right)
Ok so i can pivot and get an angle on them when they are throwing it? Ill try it out! Thanks.

Ok so i can pivot and get an angle on them when they are throwing it? Ill try it out! Thanks.
You can pivot, but don't react to it with a pivot, make sure you get the lateral step to angle off and pivot once their side kick has missed. Also - a BIG thing is to make sure that if you step outside of them (to take their back as it were) , tie up fast or attack quickly with a solid guard - because if they are smart, they will spin a back fist after a failed side kick, and you can wind up catching a forearm or elbow to the face

So if you're fighting @exclamatio and he side kicks you, scoot out towards his back, so left side kick, you go to your right, and vice versa - fire a straight punch as you're stepping out, THEN you can get a pivot or a tie up.
giphy.gif

It should look exactly like this, but red trunks through a side kick before that rear hand and pivot

Lateral movement! Anything that comes on you from a straight line (think of 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) can be avoided by moving laterally (left to right)

100% that should be your go to. I'm always trying to get my opponent to come at me in a straight line. Look at how many times all I have to do is hit them once from safety or throw something that looks weak and they immediately want to counter me, that makes it a lot easier to hit them.

If you can get inside the range of the kick before it extends too then you can shut it down, literally move in and smother them. The kick can't do anything if it can't accelerate from the hip/knee.

If you want to stay outside and draw the kick out you can knock it down, just go straight down with your hand through the line of the kick. Step back too so if your parry misses you don't get smashed. It might seem counter intuitive but side kicks is a game of range and timing, they are most dangerous when the knee is high and the foot is far way from the target. More space = more speed on the kick.

Jam it completely by bringing your knee up in front as a shield, hands and elbows in tight so they can't hit anything important.

People try to catch side kicks and side teeps like front kicks but you can easily snatch your leg back out because that position takes less flexibility to get your leg free. The best way to catch is as soon as you get any contact on the kicking leg lift that bitch up into the air as you move forwards. A good kicker will still rechamber their leg into space to kick again so you gotta smother them. The worst thing you can do is avoid or block then not counter, as they can just reset.

However you get inside or however you avoid the kick try to punish the supporting leg as much as possible.

I had a kickboxing match years ago on the British show Clash of the Titans. Was against a tall TKD guy and the ONLY GODDAM move he used against me was a side kick. Just constantly jamming me up. Hardly ever hit me and never threw it to the head but was constantly making me brace and cover with my arms. Then when I got around it he would just jump in the air flailing like he was having a fit and try to land on top of me to clinch and get reset. I was so preoccupied with waiting for a head kick to counter that he just played me, I was even dropping my guard on purpose to draw it out. He won on points but is still a bitch :p

You can pivot, but don't react to it with a pivot, make sure you get the lateral step to angle off and pivot once their side kick has missed. Also - a BIG thing is to make sure that if you step outside of them (to take their back as it were) , tie up fast or attack quickly with a solid guard - because if they are smart, they will spin a back fist after a failed side kick, and you can wind up catching a forearm or elbow to the face

So if you're fighting @exclamatio and he side kicks you, scoot out towards his back, so left side kick, you go to your right, and vice versa - fire a straight punch as you're stepping out, THEN you can get a pivot or a tie up.
giphy.gif

It should look exactly like this, but red trunks through a side kick before that rear hand and pivot

Yep! Had that happen a couple times to me, as the red shorts if they started to take my back I would already be trying to step out with my outside leg to get space and reset. 60% of the time it works every time.

Awesome thread. I've been trying to incorporate sidekick into my sparring. From southpaw I feel pretty good with it in terms of speed and power but I mainly am in orthodox and only switch stances for specific sequences. My left side is lacking badly when it comes to flexibility in the legs/hips idk what it is exactly but I can't really kick for shit with my left side unless it's low/body

Awesome thread. I've been trying to incorporate sidekick into my sparring. From southpaw I feel pretty good with it in terms of speed and power but I mainly am in orthodox and only switch stances for specific sequences. My left side is lacking badly when it comes to flexibility in the legs/hips idk what it is exactly but I can't really kick for shit with my left side unless it's low/body
You may already know about this, but heres a good set up for the right side kick from orthodox!
Happy Training!

Back