So how about them HOAs

Is there anything stopping people in a neighborhood from getting together and creating their own HoA type deal? Where they all pitch in to some community projects? I like the idea of it
As far as I know, some do that and those probably wouldn't be so bad. But when the real estate developer runs it, you know a lot of that money is going in their pocket.

$600 and for what? You don't need snow removal... did they even have a lawn to landscape? Real grass is rare out here as you know.
They do have a lot of plants, flowers, trees, and grass, in fact is next to a golf course; there's no gating separating the two either. I remember one time a neighbor was complaining that the water bill for the community is a year is 100k.

The cul del sac I used to live in had no HOA. It fucking sucked.

The neighbors at the end of the cul de sac let their lawn die and turn brown. It was an eyesore. They left trash, car parts, tires, all kinds of shit in their yard. They had like 10 people living there and at least 10 vehicles which they parked all over the place, in the street, in their yard, in the driveway, in front of my house, wherever.

There was literally no recourse because there was no homeowners' association. They weren't breaking the law, they were just trashy people.

A small-fee reasonable HOA that helped keep the neighborhood looking clean and decent would be great. I don't think I'll ever buy a house again unless there is an HOA.

I've got an HOA.

It's not too bad and not overly expensive.

Been paying for a community pool that I've never used, but that's my own fault.

They do have a lot of plants, flowers, trees, and grass, in fact is next to a golf course; there's no gating separating the two either. I remember one time a neighbor was complaining that the water bill for the community is a year is 100k.
On a golf course, that explains a lot actually. That sounds terrible, mostly because I hate golf... But I hope that $600 covered damage from golf balls.

The neighbors at the end of the cul de sac let their lawn die and turn brown. It was an eyesore. They left trash, car parts, tires, all kinds of shit in their yard. They had like 10 people living there and at least 10 vehicles which they parked all over the place, in the street, in their yard, in the driveway, in front of my house, wherever.

There was literally no recourse because there was no homeowners' association. They weren't breaking the law, they were just trashy people.

A small-fee reasonable HOA that helped keep the neighborhood looking clean and decent would be great. I don't think I'll ever buy a house again unless there is an HOA.
Most towns have ordinances against doing that sort of thing though

I'm guessing these people don't have jobs to have the time to do this?

Stay at home moms with school hours.

Other shit that's not allowed: basketball hoops (permanent or mobile), trash cans in view, fence must by white vinyl and 6' tall (that's 72", right? some dumbasses got 68" fences that look absurd. Measure those and fine them, assholes), lawn water running at bad times (regulated by city, run at certain hours via reservoir, etc.), must submit any plans for yardwork or other external house work to get approval (like I had to submit my backyard getting sod. Really?), and more.

It's not a traditional HOA. It's called a Metropolitan District. I pay less for trash/recycling removal, and we have a water fee each year ($500ish) so I installed a tap into my yard's line. Need to water extra? Use that tap. Need to fill up a kid's pool? Use that tap. Need to run a slip and slide? Use that tap. I'm paying for it, and now I'm not using my house's water and getting charged per gallon.

Stay at home moms with school hours.

Other shit that's not allowed: basketball hoops (permanent or mobile), trash cans in view, fence must by white vinyl and 6' tall (that's 72", right? some dumbasses got 68" fences that look absurd. Measure those and fine them, assholes), lawn water running at bad times (regulated by city, run at certain hours via reservoir, etc.), must submit any plans for yardwork or other external house work to get approval (like I had to submit my backyard getting sod. Really?), and more.

It's not a traditional HOA. It's called a Metropolitan District. I pay less for trash/recycling removal, and we have a water fee each year ($500ish) so I installed a tap into my yard's line. Need to water extra? Use that tap. Need to fill up a kid's pool? Use that tap. Need to run a slip and slide? Use that tap. I'm paying for it, and now I'm not using my house's water and getting charged per gallon.
<{cruzshake}>

Is there anything stopping people in a neighborhood from getting together and creating their own HoA type deal? Where they all pitch in to some community projects? I like the idea of it

web%20angels.jpg

I wouldn't rule out living in a non-HOA area again, but I will say being in an HOA for the past 2 years has been much easier than expected.

My wife and I were sweating how bad it could be, when we read how restrictive the HOA covenants were but in practice, no one in the neighborhood really gives a shit. We've changed up things in our yard, cut down trees, etc. that technically we should have asked permission to do, and no issue. Part of it is the development is 20 years old so more laid back, but the streets are clean, everyone mows their lawn, and home values stay high.

The alternative in our area could be much worse, like in your example. We looked at a lot of nice homes in non-HOA areas and some of them literally had neighbors with broken down pick-up trucks on their lawn, a school bus (no joke) parked on driveway being worked on, or a condemned 70 yo wooden shack across the street. Good luck selling that nice home for anything but a loss unless the neighbors cleaned up their place.

Last edited:
I dont have one but one side of my parents backyard is the neighbors house. (Track homes) Their sprinklers (my parents) started wearing away at the paint. They tried to make my parents pay to have the neighbors entire house re-painted. Again this is only visible from my parents backyard.

My HOA at my condo is $435 a month. All I get is landscaping, free HBO, and some other random crap.

My subdivision is $144/year. That covers Snow Removal, Bike Trails and Street Maintenance.
Their pretty lenient and I haven’t had any issue.
At 400-450/month I would hope comes with quite the perks.

I think I saw some one claim they where cock suckers.
So I guess if thats included...

If you live in a nice area there’s no need for HOA’s. Lmao @ paying for that useless crap

just wayyyyyyy more negatives then positives

If every HOA enforced to the letter everything they could, I would agree with you. But every HOA is different and ours is pretty laid back - we were worried there would be some nosy, bitchy housewife walking around the neighborhood every day, reporting everyone who didn't mow their lawn or rake the leaves that week or whatever. But that's never happened. Technically, no one is allowed to park on the street overnight, but our neighbors do it all the time and we have as well when we have guests over. Everyone just wants to enjoy their home, mind their own business, and not have the neighbors' houses look like shit.

We live in a rednecky state but HOAs are the norm in our neighborhood because when families move from rednecky areas to a suburb, they don't want tractors parked on the lawn with tires and car parts all over the neighbor's driveway. I grew up like that so not an issue for me personally, but the HOA does maintain overall home values.

Don’t forget the special levies when a special project arises rather than using the contingency fund.

Back