So how about them HOAs

Fuck em. Had a townhouse that was in an HOA, never ever ever again.

I've yet to be convinced that buying a home isnt a huge scam. I havent gotten to HOAs yet.

It’s better than paying rent to the man and never building equity.

Renting for 20 years versus owning something worth $250,000 and living in it in the meantine? It’s a no brainer, assuming you plan on staying where you’re at.

I’m a small time landlord though so maybe I should shut up.

My HOA at my condo is $435 a month. All I get is landscaping, free HBO, and some other random crap.
That sucks. I dont want no other man taking care of my landscaping. TF is that all about.

That's really not an issue out here.

I guess it depends on where you live. My friend lived next to a guy who would park old beat up cars on his front lawn. I don't mind HOA's cause most of the stuff is stuff I want. I don't want the cheap lazy neighbor next to me going months without cutting his lawn. All the rules my HOA has I actually approve of.

Also about the parking in the driveway. This stuff can actually be illegal in some states depending on how you park. For instance you can't block the sidewalk with your car here because it becomes a safety hazard for the handicap. They now have to wheel themselves into the streets and back into the sidewalk to get around your car. I know someone who got their car towed because they kept blocking the driveway preventing a local handicap person from getting their mail unless they want to go into the street.

I'd never buy a property with HOAs. I would even let them in the house, you don't have to legally and really could call the police if they don't leave.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/l...bdZwMmIhBK3Tj2jiGotrX07x6ardoppKwBr7OQsaFxLP4

Eastlake residents upset over HOA garage parking rule
If residents have a two-car garage, two cars would need to take up the two spots in the garage before residents can park in the driveway or on the street.

Think about that, pay a bunch of money to have someone tell you how to live.

I love my HoA personally. Having some rules that actually get enforced means scumbags will be uncomfortable living there.

The rule you’re talking about is bs tho, and I’d vote the people sitting on the board right the fuck out that made the rule. Only home owners are allowed to sit on the board of our HoA so it would be easy to get rid of a bumblefuck rule like that for us imo.

Never had one. I'd rather deal with all the neighbors' stupid shit in the yard. No problem, I can look at your big ass dumb ass boat that never leaves the driveway. It makes my house look better anyways.

I guess it depends on where you live. My friend lived next to a guy who would park old beat up cars on his front lawn. I don't mind HOA's cause most of the stuff is stuff I want. I don't want the cheap lazy neighbor next to me going months without cutting his lawn. All the rules my HOA has I actually approve of.

Also about the parking in the driveway. This stuff can actually be illegal in some states depending on how you park. For instance you can't block the sidewalk with your car here because it becomes a safety hazard for the handicap. They now have to wheel themselves into the streets and back into the sidewalk to get around your car. I know someone who got their car towed because they kept blocking the driveway preventing a local handicap person from getting their mail unless they want to go into the street.
I was referring more to the fact that property values never go down here, even in the shitty areas..... In spite of how people take care of their property.

But they do have village ordinances that keep you from pulling a Sanford and Son. Almost everyone does a good job of upkeeping their property, which isn't hard to do with minimal trees and no grass.

HOAs are completely unnecessary for the most part unless you have common areas (community playground, pool, etc.). Covenants and restrictions with your subdivision can accomplish this. People may counter with "but who enforces", and it can still be the landowners. The counter to that is "but then you have to take them to court". It would still be cheaper on average than paying a monthly HOA fee.

Because you never really own it.

All of the things that you bring up would apply to any rental, except on average, you are paying more monthly without gaining any equity. Not everyone should buy, but it's ridiculous to say that buying is a scam.

I love my HoA personally. Having some rules that actually get enforced means scumbags will be uncomfortable living there.

The rule you’re talking about is bs tho, and I’d vote the people sitting on the board right the fuck out that made the rule. Only home owners are allowed to sit on the board of our HoA so it would be easy to get rid of a bumblefuck rule like that for us imo.

Most HOAs have owners in the subdivision. It is not uncommon at all to have overzealous HOAs consisting of board members who are owners. From what I've seen, most that want to be on the HOA do not care if they are looked at as assholes. They want the power. Most of the other residents do not want to rock the boat.

I was referring more to the fact that property values never go down here, even in the shitty areas..... In spite of how people take care of their property.

But they do have village ordinances that keep you from pulling a Sanford and Son. Almost everyone does a good job of upkeeping their property, which isn't hard to do with minimal trees and no grass.

Sounds like HOA's aren't necessary in your area then really. The lawn mowing can be an issue even with our HOA here. We have an HOA but they can be a bit to relaxed and hand out several warnings. Not sure if they even go beyond just warnings.

My girlfriend's dad lives in this crappy 4 plex apartment neighborhood and is like the HOA enforcer in this shit hole. It engulfs his entire life because he's constantly trying to keep the riff raff away but it's impossible because it's a bad neighborhood. The lady that's the president of the HOA is this 60 year old lady that looks like she lives under a bridge. She came over and tried to talk to me before and there's like nothing going on up in her head other than a couple of loose marbles. I have no idea why they made her the president. She's literally like a crazy person you'd run into outside of a 7-11. I can't imagine her making even the simplest of decisions. The fact that someone reproduced with her at some point is astonishing to me.

The Fuck are you talking about bitch
The Fuck are you talking about bitch
If every HOA enforced to the letter everything they could, I would agree with you. But every HOA is different and ours is pretty laid back - we were worried there would be some nosy, bitchy housewife walking around the neighborhood every day, reporting everyone who didn't mow their lawn or rake the leaves that week or whatever. But that's never happened. Technically, no one is allowed to park on the street overnight, but our neighbors do it all the time and we have as well when we have guests over. Everyone just wants to enjoy their home, mind their own business, and not have the neighbors' houses look like shit.

We live in a rednecky state but HOAs are the norm in our neighborhood because when families move from rednecky areas to a suburb, they don't want tractors parked on the lawn with tires and car parts all over the neighbor's driveway. I grew up like that so not an issue for me personally, but the HOA does maintain overall home values.
I had a hoa that was the exact opposite lol. Your lucky to have one that chill

San Diego home. Fortunately the HOA is only $129/month. Worth it to keep things looking nice. Used to live in a condo in San Diego which was about $180/month.

Never had one. I'd rather deal with all the neighbors' stupid shit in the yard. No problem, I can look at your big ass dumb ass boat that never leaves the driveway. It makes my house look better anyways.

All else being equal, so would I. On principle, I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do in and around my own damn home.

But in practice that big ass boat in your neighbor's driveway makes your home worth less if you need to sell it and move. Even if you just live there, your home is worth less meaning you have less equity in the house and less net worth. A lot of decent neighborhoods have HOA's and my wife and I want our kids to go to better schools than we did.

HOAs are exactly that - Homeowners Associations. Our board is made up of local homeowners. So as long as you get along with your neighbors and they're not idiots or assholes, there shouldn't be an issue. In practice everyone is too busy with their own jobs + spending time with their families to worry about what their neighbors are doing anyway barring something egregious. This year a meth lab got shut down a few miles down the street in a non-HOA neighborhood.

All else being equal, so would I. On principle, I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do in and around my own damn home.

But in practice that big ass boat in your neighbor's driveway makes your home worth less if you need to sell it and move. Even if you just live there, your home is worth less meaning you have less equity in the house and less net worth. A lot of decent neighborhoods have HOA's and my wife and I want our kids to go to better schools than we did.

HOAs are exactly that - Homeowners Associations. Our board is made up of local homeowners. So as long as you get along with your neighbors and they're not idiots or assholes, there shouldn't be an issue. In practice everyone is too busy with their own jobs + spending time with their families to worry about what their neighbors are doing anyway barring something egregious. This year a meth lab got shut down a few miles down the street in a non-HOA neighborhood.

I have a Meth Lab, and ain't nobody fuckin with me!

Anyways, Idk man. We got horses and goats and shit around here, and deer and elk walking around. A couple acres per lot. One house has raggedy barbed wire fences, and the next has a nice garden out front. Home prices are exploding upwards. No crime. No drug problems here at all. Alcohol problems? Well.. maybe. But it's different here - I don't want to live in the real world.

I cant understand why anyone would want one. You buy a house for freedom, not to be told what to do with it.

Can HOA's take your house or anything? What if you just tell them to fuck off? Its still your house and property isnt it?

Most HOAs have owners in the subdivision. It is not uncommon at all to have overzealous HOAs consisting of board members who are owners. From what I've seen, most that want to be on the HOA do not care if they are looked at as assholes. They want the power. Most of the other residents do not want to rock the boat.

That’s not the case with the one where I’m at. I go to the meetings once in a while and so do a lot of my neighbors. I’d say just about every single person (owner) living in our neighborhood makes a point to get to at least a few a year. There’s times when it’s standing room only. So we’re all pretty active in our community and keep up on it.

I’m happy with it so far, and have met a lot of people around me because of it. Going on 7 years now give or take.

I have a Meth Lab, and ain't nobody fuckin with me!

Anyways, Idk man. We got horses and goats and shit around here, and deer and elk walking around. A couple acres per lot. One house has raggedy barbed wire fences, and the next has a nice garden out front. Home prices are exploding upwards. No crime. No drug problems here at all. Alcohol problems? Well.. maybe. But it's different here - I don't want to live in the real world.

I hear you. I prefer that stuff too. We have multi-acre horse farms down the street and 20 years ago our entire neighborhood was all farms and horse stables. But since then, the homesteaders have been selling their properties to developers who build HOA neighborhoods on the land.

It's all about trade-offs. If we didn't have kids and didn't have to worry about local schools, the wife and I would probably be living on a 2 or 3 acre plot (near where the meth lab was) with goats and shit in the backyard.

I cant understand why anyone would want one. You buy a house for freedom, not to be told what to do with it.

Can HOA's take your house or anything? What if you just tell them to fuck off? Its still your house and property isnt it?

They can fine you. Some have more power than others, you have to sign a contract/agreement agreeing to terms usually before purchasing the property/home.

I’ve lived in 2 of them at this point -my current one is great. Very reasonable and pass a lot of common sense stuff.

The 1st one was.. odd imo. But it was also a Condo community. They were very strict about a lot of things that I didn’t care for.

I like them for reasonable things. I don’t want the jagoff next to me parking cars in his lawn and not taking care of their yard which could effect my yard and so on. Shit like that. There’s also a give and a take which is why you have to read everything before agreeing.

Back