So I broke my computer

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
There goes my Photoshop and files and any art and stuff I made

Stuck at home and I fucking knock down my tower

Of a the times for this to happen

everything can be fixed Clippy. What is actually broken on it?

everything can be fixed Clippy. What is actually broken on it?
I bumped it and it turned off. Every time I turn it on the green light clicks right off again

IT stays on for half a second

Eh, could be a loos 20/24 pin on the motherboard. I had that happen many years ago during my first real build and I cried cus I thought I shorted my mobo when I was like 14 but my dad got pissed and took the entire thing apart , reassembled it and boom.

Well, it could be dependent on your mobo and gpu as my mobo has a couple of grounds built into it. But I did try to stick an hdmi into a display port on my 980ti sc and I saw a fucking spark come off the port towards the hdmi cable and my entire system went black and shut off. It wouldn't display until I reset the cmos and or the bios. What I'm trying to say is, I had an old p4 @ 2.0ghz that was my first computer and that thing caught on fire, smoked like hell and I threw it outside into my backyard cus I thought it was going to explode because I was a retarded 12 year old and that thing still worked til the day it became e waste.

Oh and the harddrive cant be fucked, a capacitor, maybe?

I bumped it and it turned off. Every time I turn it on the green light clicks right off again

as @JoshTehV said it's probably something that's worked loose and come out o a socket.
Take it apart carefully and slowly and see if any cable or part is loose or not seated correctly.

End of the day, if that doesn't work take it to a PC repair place. It's probably something fairly simple. I'm usually ok with taking things apart and figuring it out but everyone is different. COmputers are just a bunch of parts bolted together, they are usually fixable.
It ain't busted, something's just got knocked loose.

Once it's fixed....put the tower on the floor under a table or something so it's protected from falling or being knocked or kicked.

as @JoshTehV said it's probably something that's worked loose and come out o a socket.
Take it apart carefully and slowly and see if any cable or part is loose or not seated correctly.

End of the day, if that doesn't work take it to a PC repair place. It's probably something fairly simple. I'm usually ok with taking things apart and figuring it out but everyone is different. COmputers are just a bunch of parts bolted together, they are usually fixable.
It ain't busted, something's just got knocked loose.

Once it's fixed....put the tower on the floor under a table or something so it's protected from falling or being knocked or kicked.

If I look inside there and touch something with my finger wont I shocked things out

If I look inside there and touch something with my finger wont I shocked things out
Shock to YOU : (capacitors are the only thing that will retain an electric charge once the power-supply is disconnected):
- ONLY if it's a capacitor. Capacitors do hold a charge. A capacitor looks like a cylinder, and it will have two terminals at one end. To eliminate any residual charge from any capacitor you just connect the two metal terminals by using a screwdriver or other metal object. This will discharge any capacitor. Make sure your hand is only holding the plastic part of the screwdriver!~
But honestly, there's very unlikely to be any big-enough capacitors in PC to hurt you at all.

Shock to the COMPUTER : (static discharge from your body).
If you're talking about static electricity, don't worry too much about that. DO you have carpet? If so, just touch your hand on a metal pipe or tap before opening up the PC cover, to eliminate any static in your body. Don't stress about it man, there's really very little in a PC that will get damaged easily and you won't get shocked (OBVIOUSLY disconnect the power supply!).

(don't stress about the static wrist-band. It ain't a big deal. Just don't walk along a nylon carpet before taking it apart.
If it's simpler, just take it into a PC-repair center. It'll probably take them 5 or 10mins to fix it. It'll be something simple.

Gosh thank you so much for your help

Thanks to you I was inspired to research this

All I had to do was move the ram to another slot and it fixed it

Gosh thank you so much for your help

Thanks to you I was inspired to research this

All I had to do was move the ram to another slot and it fixed it
great! very happy you got it done.

Yes the RAM chips in a desktop computer are mounted in a socket which are soldered to the motherboard. So the chips can be upgraded from (say) 4GB each to 8GB each or whatever. And usually there are spare sockets too so you can just add more RAM. Much more space in a desktop than a laptop!
If you knocked the tower over, it's stuff that is not hard-soldered onto the motherboard that can get dislodged out of their sockets.
I'm guessing the RAM chip in question was *partially* in and *partially* out of it's socket which is what was causing this boot-up error.

once my sisters pc caught fire. it was the cd rom drive
put out fire, removed cd rom drive, it all still worked
and i am glad it didnt burn down my house

also ive heard usually when somethings wrong with a computer, its the ram

Can you remove the battery and run the computer on AC power alone with the battery removed? If not, your motherboard may have failed. This doesn't mean that you lost everything, but you will probably have to pay to recover your data.

Can you remove the battery and run the computer on AC power alone with the battery removed? If not, your motherboard may have failed. This doesn't mean that you lost everything, but you will probably have to pay to recover your data.
Thanks buddy should have a read through this thread

Sounds like the power supply.

Do you have any ond computer's in that party garage? I can walk you through swapping a power supply

Edit: just finished reading thread. Ram is easy. Good for you brother.

Back