So this is how much pro kickboxers make on average

And it take seven to twelve years to be a superstar and even as a superstar, it is hard to make more than one million. This is not boxing.

Meanwhile fans complain about fighters who cash out or take "money fights" when they get the opportunity

Cliffs: unless you're a superstar, you'd be lucky to make 20k per fight.

This is not boxing.
In pro boxing majority of boxers never had 20 k bucks per fight and this even if this is mean't before % and tax payments etc.

KB? Well known during long time KBers with good live gates if they are on card and high media interest about them: this is different world. Ad deals too there does have place, not only fight purses. Also well known KBers might earn with gym business, coaching, advisor stuff.

Yeah, in overall average : boxe pays more.
name = matters damn a lot in any prizefighting, doesn't depends KB or boxe.

Verhoven vs Hari had high interest in media etc, attention rare fighters might achieve to get.

Canelo and Floyd made more in their career than the whole Kickboxing industry lmao. You can't make a good living as a kickboxer unless you are in the top 10 like in every combat sport i guess.

Then you see the scrubs on the UFC unbroadcasted prelims bitching

Well, not all fighters in prelims or undercards are bad.
One from professional boxer's dreams, step on stairs is to get on undercard in big A+++ class event. There doesn't so much matters, will fight for 7 k or 8 k.
If you are on undercard in top event, this alone increase chances to be noticed and makes closer to next steps in career.
Prizefighting is career job.
Casual fans usually want undercards and not notable main card fights like these : quickly to end and if possible, to get main event ASAP to happen.
However there are ppl who will not bother to watch YT and IG videos but will watch all event's fights. If you will be lucky to look good there, this will be next step in career.
It is like to climb up on stairs.

Floyd was from notable and known boxing family.
Maybe ask Canelo how much he get for first pro debut fight. Otherwise ppl think: pro boxing immediately pays damn a lot for debut fight etc.
Ofc for former ammy superstar it is different: signup bonuses and mhh, they already are more marketable.
Others climb up longer road till good paychecks.

Meanwhile fans complain about fighters who cash out or take "money fights" when they get the opportunity
Which ones? I don't really see any Kickboxers taking "money fights" or fans complaining about it.

Maybe the Tenshin vs Mayweather "exhibition"?

And there's a much higher skill cap compared to other combat sports. An MMA fighter can have less than 10 fights and be UFC level or even champion.

Kickboxing is too much of a niche sport to attract high interest I think, most people do not even understand that there is difference between Muay Thai and Kickboxing.
If Kickboxing would get accepted as an olympic sport you might get more coverage and a bigger talent pool.
Most Kickboxers I know work a normal job and only compete cause they love to do it, more often than not you probably make more money opening your own gym than just fighting. Which is why so many people here in Germany open up kickboxing gyms and market themselves as world champions without ever mentioning that there is 1000s of these belts around.

Then you see the scrubs on the UFC unbroadcasted prelims bitching that they only make 24/24 and guys on sherdog comparing it to slavery.
no one is getting rich off kickboxing, not promoters, not fighters. the UFC's promoters got very rich off MMA.

Long story short. If you want to be a Professional Fighter and Boxing isn't available then work on your ground game and get into MMA.

All combat sports pay shitty unless you are a top guy in a top org. Some marginally better than others. Kickboxing peaked in purses during the height of FEG K-1 however.

20k is way to generous. I've trained with multiple world champions that would be lucky if they'd get €2k a fight
The problem with kickboxing is any promoter can put on a local show and crown his fighters "world champions".

But yeah, most pro kickboxers don't make even close to 20k. That's the best case scenario. Gabriel Varga got an offer to fight Saenchai for 2k, which he declined.

When my coach was competing in Glory he said he got anywhere from $1,000 - $5,000 and the $5,000 happening only once (it was either his fight with Valtellini or Raymond Daniels, I can't remember). Like y'all have been saying, it is more profitable to open a gym. Also helps that the income is much more reliable than waiting on payouts from promotions. It's a shame how much work you have to put in just to get peanuts.

Back