So who has cancelled/suspended their membership and who hasn't?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
My country has mandated the temporary closure of all gyms with no reopening date as of yet. I scroll through social media and I see so many gym owners asking for support as a result - in particular, for people to take PTs and not to cancel their memberships.

Out of interest, what do you think is the % of people that has cancelled? Have you cancelled or suspended your membership? If so, what is the reasoning - is it because of job loss or simply to save costs? I'm not trying to be judgemental - I'm just curious to see what everyone has done with their membership.

For me personally, I've chosen the option to pay half of what I usually pay. This way I can support the gym, get access to online content and, at the same time, not feel like I'm overpaying. I hope my gym survives.

I paid for the whole year in may 2019, I'm gonna see what's going to happen when the club reopen. I'm pretty sure that if it reopen in let's say in august, I will start my new year on that date. I would have pay pretty much 2 months for nothing but 3 months without paying, it seems fair to me

My gym in Austin is down to 175 members from 240 as of yesterday.

I'm cool with paying the yearly fee for my hobbies. I have shitty discipline, so paying upfront means leaving money on the table on the skipped days, which is even worse. I like the annual ritual too, reaffirming the commitment and all that. Can't just back out next month. I mean, I can, but it's a hell of a lot more expensive that way, even if it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Plus, I want to support the continued existence of those opportunities. Grappling and Climbing are important to me. I see it as an investment in the future enjoyment of others? Enjoyable exercise is my church, and the dues are my tithe?

I've ways paid dues to my instructor even after attaining my black belt and opening my own academy. I don't train there as much as I used to but still try to support him and the gym I developed my skills at .

I think it's important to support your academy IF you have the means to do so. I don't expect any of my students to put BJJ before their actual NEEDS. I hope they understand that it's hard to other instructors financially and emotionally too.

I'm going to actually have a surprise for members who kept their memberships active when everything goes back to normal.

I’m still working so I’m still paying. Even if I can’t roll I’ll pay because I want to support the gym and my instructor. It’s gotta be a rough time for any gym owner right now. I get it though if people straight up can’t afford it due to the lockdown.

Last edited:
Cancel it and tell your instructor its time to get essential. Get essential, invest in biohazard gear.

We close last week. About 7 days before the official lockdown.

I think about 50 percent have stopped paying their automatic payment.
We don't have contract and we totally understand if people needs to stop playing.

Lot of gyms are in financial problem because they are using s third company to collect the payment from the students.
One particular company refused to collect any fees on behalf of the gyms because they feel it is wrong to collect money for a service that the gyms no longer can offer.
We

Then the company requested that the gyms offer an alternative for their services like online remote training and also an additional confirmations from their students that they are still willing to pay for this new service.

It is really messy because organising all the new stuff under lockdown is hard and stressfull.

Regarding the public pledge of students and the pressure from gyms owners in their paying customers, it is all good but after a couple of weeks of lockdown, I suspect many students will have to stop paying anyway.

Nope - I want the academy to be open when this passes

I called my gym owner the other day to ask where to send the payment and see what’s up, and he said they can only last one more month tops the way shit is. I think their bread and butter was the kids program, and the parents aren’t as passionate about preserving the place as the adults students, and probably stopped paying. The current owner just bought the place a few months ago too and is only 24

We were all told not to come back. When it's over, it's over... we'll all pick up the pieces then. No one is worried about their dues.

I don't pay anything.
There is a bit difference vs casual customer: gym owner is my friend and I sometimes helped him with some stuff and deals too.

i havent had to pay for training since 6 months in back in 2007 luckly id hate to be on a contract though and still pay

We have no official date for reopening gyms, and at the current rate of progress, I would be surprised if it happens before June at the earliest.

I will continue to support my Academy. Even paying my monthly fees, I'm actually saving money at the moment since there's nothing else to spend it on. Plus, my employers just gave everyone a 10% bonus as hazard pay, which is nice.

It's a very tough time for my Professor, and I'm happy to support him in any way I can.

I'll continue to pay as long as I can. Our instructor is posting technique videos on social media and he's conducted a few virtual classes, but otherwise he just seems to be making it up as he goes along.

I cut it for April 1 and onward, and let them know it was with a heavy heart and I look forward to coming back as soon as it is rational and possible to. Was paying a fair amount monthly for two people in the household. Every gym in the state is shut down unless you're doing private groups of 4 or less on the DL like a grappling speak easy.

I doubt this will be over the hump in 4 weeks.

I hope we'll be quasi normalish again by July.

My academy asked its members to keep paying dues during the pandemic so they don’t fold and they can resume when this subsides,& I appreciate that
They are also a fitness gym and have been posting videos online to members to do at home , workouts , boxing drills ,bjj solo drills etc

The thing that’s eating at me is that the gym has 3 owners and a number of paid employees, as a black belt it’s not a direct concern to me because they don’t charge me membership (I fill in for classes quite often) but a lot of people are out of work & I have a strong suspicion that the owners are still paying themselves full salaries while asking unemployed members to keep paying dues to keep the academy afloat .
I just don’t think that’s honourable & if I find out that’s true I’m not sure what I’m going to do

Back