Economy Social Security to become unable to pay full benefits sooner than previously estimated

Yet we always seem to have money for endless wars go figure.

friends-joey.gif

fair enough…. I left California in 2000
You surely won’t be the last to leave CA if they don’t fix this shit. I’m not attacking the professions just a few states that pay $450k a year with full pensions with very limited visibility to the tax payer.

A wise man once said: "Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence."

Relax I didn’t “call for violence”

You surely won’t be the last to leave CA if they don’t fix this shit. I’m not attacking the professions just a few states that pay $450k a year with full pensions with very limited visibility to the tax payer.

I don’t know any firefighters in California but I’m sure you’re right about a lot of that.

On a side note, people like to complain about the “unlimited overtime” we can work… my dept did the math and discovered that it’s cheaper to pay overtime then to hire more people. So while it’s true I often work 48-72 hours of overtime a month, we also are required to fill seats every shift. Which means “order backs” are not uncommon and if you get ordered back to work the next day, your vacation, wedding, birth of your child, etc….. tough shit, you’re on the hook for it

I don’t know any firefighters in California but I’m sure you’re right about a lot of that.

On a side note, people like to complain about the “unlimited overtime” we can work… my dept did the math and discovered that it’s cheaper to pay overtime then to hire more people. So while it’s true I often work 48-72 hours of overtime a month, we also are required to fill seats every shift. Which means “order backs” are not uncommon and if you get ordered back to work the next day, your vacation, wedding, birth of your child, etc….. tough shit, you’re on the hook for it

Agree. And unlimited overtime is not 48 hours a month. I won’t link the site again but their are articles where firefighters and cops in Ca averaged over 180 hours of OT per month for 20 consecutive years. There is also guys that work OT to the point they make $640k per year

again, Ca issue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.t...and-cops-640000-pay-package-highest-ever/amp/

Would 90 billion help?

America first. Cut the damn Military budget NOW.

Yet they will still fucking pay pensions for government employees. Fucking despicable
You went out of your way to blame the little guy.

The social security net we set up has been knee capped by Republicans and Democrats for years. This is about policy choices at the federal level to give unlimited funds to the security state while thoroughly mismanaging the social safety net. Look at Norway, they used their oil to setup one of the wealthiest soveirgn wealth funds in the world. They actually planned for the future of their citizens over a period of decades. The US gov (Congress & Presidents) are only interested in short term wins. Nobody is planning for our children and grandchildren.

Does anybody really believe that crap? The US is rich AF; you have money for whatever you want if the politicians want to make it happen. It's not like you're being asked to believe Narnia is real: literally the entire western world is making it happen and you're not. I know - I live in a country that's making it happen.

You'd have to be a moron to think that they can't. Look at all the money they're currently spending. They won't, and their is a big difference.

Our government is full of evil criminals.

This is a perfect illustration of the old adage “hard times create hard men, hard men create soft times, soft times create soft men, soft men create hard times”

The greatest generation gave us the boomers and the boomers have given us hard times
I blame hippies.

Shit ain't right. It's our money, we've payed into the system our entire lives. I won't take this one lying down....

I was pretty sure social security was part of investing in my own retirement (considering I will have paid in to it for 50 years by the time I retire).

Same for me.
But I along with many others have known that Social Security won't be there by the time I hit retirement age.
Known long before this thread discussed the issue.

It sucks, and it's a scam at this point.
I gave up on the idea of counting on it a long time ago to be part of my retirement plan.

Unfortunately only the previous generations were able to put in a little and extract a lot.

The rest of us get scammed, particularly for younger people today.
It's a terrible setup.

All I'm saying is plan accordingly.

Back