Songs/music you can't listen to because of a bad connotation

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A rather grim subject but it's due to something that I just experienced. I was watching a video on Youtube & it used the ELO song "Strange Magic" as background music. And as soon as I heard it I began to feel ill at ease & couldn't understand why for a few seconds until it dawned on me that it was the song that was playing on the radio when I realized that my wife had passed. So, I immediately stopped the video & vowed to never listen to that song again if I could help it.

Hopefully, not all your replies will be quite as gut-wrenching.

In fact, I have another that's not quite as awful that I'll share. I was in a van with my coach & three other fighters from my gym heading for what was my sixth amateur fight & the Eagles song "Heartache Tonight" came on the radio & we all began singing along & joking about how our opponents were going to be suffering from heartaches when we were done with them. Unfortunately, I got my ass handed to me over three lopsided rounds by a guy named Phil Richter from Niagara Falls. And my three stablemates all lost their fights too. So, it was a long, sad, quiet ride home. And I'll always connotate that Eagle's song to suffering my first loss that night.

Damn. No one else, huh?

That's OK. I suppose I shouldn't have started it off quite so damn dark.

Another one for me is the song "Afternoon Delight". It came out & was on the radio constantly during the summer that I suffered from a series of blindingly bad headaches. At first, they thought they were migraines, then due to allergies, then I had scans to see if I had a tumor & then they just went away never to return. My doctor chalked it up to puberty. Wierd. But, now whenever I hear that song I remember those headaches & how much they hurt.

Maybe The Way by Fastball. It wasn't a bad track, but it marked moving to a place I loathed and because it was played in the locker room at football practice I can still recall the funk from post practices. Tunes that remind me of that time that I didn't choose to listen to could all qualify.

Back in 5th grade my bus driver had a CD with a bunch of shitty pop country that she would always play and one of the songs was My Baby Loves Me by Martina McBride. Didn't help that she always started from the top so we would always hear the first 4-5 songs all the time and one day she even forced us to sing along in front of the principal for some reason. Anyways, not only do I absolutely hate that song but I'm pretty sure that experience is why I have developed a bit of a hatred towards Walmart Country music in general

I can't listen to "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (Joy Division) or "Hand In Glove" (The Smiths) because those two songs were the first ones I played for my now ex-wife, all the way in 2002.

Back