Songs with incredible drumming

Run, DMC, or Jam Master Jay?

Could be. I've also read that the album it's from is heavy on using samples, so I'm curious whether it's live drumming (one of those three) or a sample from another drummer. Great song I'm really digging it.

Seen it mentioned twice here. Anyone know who is playing drums? Assuming it's a sample.

Quick search shows that it was someone named Bobby "Afro" Walker and he not only played the drums on that track, he was the cousin of Jam Master Jay also the groups bodyguard.

Ex-bodyguard for Run DMC and his cousin Jason Mizell aka Jam Master Jay. Aka Bobby "Afro" Walker. As a rapper he was a member of the Zoe Brothers and he played a key role in the formation of Rev Run Records, as well as in Joseph Simmons own spiritual awakening. Occasional drummer/backing vocalist/songwriter and producer.

https://www.discogs.com/Run-DMC-Tougher-Than-Leather/release/12490468

Tsk, tsk. Six pages and not one of Zappa’s drummers mentioned. They were all excellent, but I love Aynsley Dunbar’s playing. He turned down Jimmy Page and Robert Fripp to play with Zappa.

Song starts at 1:00

Last edited:
Incredible.

Whenever people say Lars Ulrich is a bad drummer I remind them they are wrong and I play this for 'em..

Last edited:

monica-33976742.png

Just put on Remission by Mastodon....Brann Dailor is incredible.

Tsk, tsk. Six pages and not one of Zappa’s drummers mentioned. They were all excellent, but I love Aynsley Dunbar’s playing. He turned down Jimmy Page and Robert Fripp to play with Zappa.

Aynsley Dunbar played on this album.

Whitesnake_%28album%29.jpg

Obvious by the song title, this song has incredible drumming by Elvin Jones on it.

It's one of my all time favorite John Coltrane songs on what is my all time favorite John Coltrane album.

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space

The entire album has ridiculous drumming by Rashied Ali on it

Many, many Rush songs with Pert. A lot of DMB with Carter, like Halloween, or drive in drive out.

Trigger warning: All your favorite death metal drummers use triggers on their bass drums so that they only have to make contact with the mallet, and they still aren’t this clean.

No fucking triggers.

Terry Bozzio as well. Great drummer.

I'm surprised I havent seen this video, or Mike portnoys name.

cuz portnoy is trash lul

jk Portnoy fucking rules. Great guy

Trigger warning: All your favorite death metal drummers use triggers on their bass drums so that they only have to make contact with the mallet, and they still aren’t this clean.

No fucking triggers.

to be fair the blast beats are the only thing difficult about anything he's doing

What is impressive is his timing though

Oh, and triggers are necessary for bigger rooms because the sound gets cut off and gates are shit in close proximity with other instruments.

Last edited:
Back