Songs with incredible drumming

Viola Smith was born in 1912 and still kicking ass somewhere today at 106 years old.

Love this man. A born drummer! Tastiest licks ever. This song is an off- beat clinic.

Danny Carey's work on Fear Inoculum is IMO his best ever, and that's saying something.

Not a Toto fan but Porcaro was a legend and one of the best drummers of all time. This tune coined the name of that groove as the "Rosanna Shuffle" Very hard to play it like that.

Always loved the driving force of the drums on So What. Especially live.

cuz portnoy is trash lul

jk Portnoy fucking rules. Great guy

to be fair the blast beats are the only thing difficult about anything he's doing

What is impressive is his timing though

Oh, and triggers are necessary for bigger rooms because the sound gets cut off and gates are shit in close proximity with other instruments.

No, that’s bullshit. You could just mic the bass drums to fill a bigger room.

Okay, please address my comment plz and not just some generalized "no" response.

Btw I love Emil

Wtf are you talking about?

Anyway, the point is you don’t need triggers to make the bass drum audible for large venues. That’s what microphones are for. You do need triggers if you’re in paying fast ass 32nd notes on the bass drum and therefore cannot give it enough attack to be audible in the mix. Unless of course, your name is Emil Wiksten. Then you just raw dog it and sound awesome.

I have no problem with triggers aside from the fact that they often sound too artificial.

Wtf are you talking about?

Anyway, the point is you don’t need triggers to make the bass drum audible for large venues. That’s what microphones are for. You do need triggers if you’re in paying fast ass 32nd notes on the bass drum and therefore cannot give it enough attack to be audible in the mix. Unless of course, your name is Emil Wiksten. Then you just raw dog it and sound awesome.

I have no problem with triggers aside from the fact that they often sound too artificial.

You do realize that triggers are used to circumvent potential problems with microphones right?

Mike Portnoy is a beast

Gene "The Atomic Clock"

Basically this whole album.

so would one of you drummers tell me how good this guy is?

Back