sparring

You're bald dude or be-haired dude?

I dig the little kid in the back checking out his basketball moves with the giant exercise ball in the mirror.

You're bald dude or be-haired dude?

I dig the little kid in the back checking out his basketball moves with the giant exercise ball in the mirror.

I'm the bald guy. And in the gold shorts in the 2nd video

I'm the bald guy. And in the gold shorts in the 2nd video
I hadn't ever seen that head kick catch. That's interesting. I've noticed in my gym people don't throw head kicks much. Are head kicks something your gym focuses on? I dunno why i dont see them much I try to throw them all the time. Also possible people in my gym know I suck and are just scared they will really clock me :)

Also in the first video about 1:05 in he roundkicks you and you kinda catch him at the knee with your right and swing him left. Like almost a teep defense on a roundhouse. (A little hard to see, your back is to the camera.) Is that a purposeful technique or was that just a one off improvised thing? I think I drilled something like that once but haven't thought about it since.

I hadn't ever seen that head kick catch. That's interesting. I've noticed in my gym people don't throw head kicks much. Are head kicks something your gym focuses on? I dunno why i dont see them much I try to throw them all the time. Also possible people in my gym know I suck and are just scared they will really clock me :)

Also in the first video about 1:05 in he roundkicks you and you kinda catch him at the knee with your right and swing him left. Like almost a teep defense on a roundhouse. (A little hard to see, your back is to the camera.) Is that a purposeful technique or was that just a one off improvised thing? I think I drilled something like that once but haven't thought about it since.

I think most people don't throw head kicks due to lack of flexibility. Also head kicks are kind of a dick move in sparring, you can ko people if it lands clean. If someone tries to head kick me in sparring, it's now a fight. This goes for teeps to the face as well, teeping someone in the face in sparring is highly disrespectful. If I'm sparring a friend, I'll throw a head kick, with the intention of it being blocked. I accidentally put a friend down once with a head kick, I threw it lightly expecting him to block, he did not, when I saw this I pulled it the best I could, i ended up foot slapping him in the face, and it dropped him. I immediately rushed to his side to help him.

What happened at 1:05 was me reaching to catch a kick that I shouldn't because it was too low and him pulling it. We're not trying to hurt each other in sparring here in this video.

Catching leg kicks can be done, and it works, but can be risky as your reaching low. They can recognize this and go high.

If you watch the tko fight I posted, you'll see I caught his leg kicks.

Thanks for watching my videos and asking questions. I hope I am able to help.

That's a really nice controlled sparring, I would spar like this night and day. And yes, teeps to the face are a big no in sparring.

Last edited:
Cool video, how long have you been boxing?

on and off most of my life. Worth mentioning the quality and availability of proper muay thai coaching 20 years ago in the US, was not what it is today.

Back