Spinning shit (Kicks).. what style do it best?

Muay Thai/Kickboxing/MMA/K-1

Spinning kicks from these gyms are fierce and effective.

Many Thai fighters get knocked out by fighters from these.

TKD introduced the two legitimate spinning kicks in the 70s: spinning back kick and spinning hook kick. In those days westerners generally lacked the flexibility to do a spinning hook kick, so you saw "spinning wheel kicks" which were just bad spinning hook kicks. The spinning back kick requires less flexibility and is useful against taller or aggressive opponents. The spinning hook kick is done incorrectly most often because practitioners lack the flexibility. In general it is a low-percentage technique but brutal when it lands correctly.

Video below (timestamped at 22m 18s) shows Han Jae Ku who I think was the best fighter of the 80s and had notorious spinning hook KO ability:

TKD it's a full contact competitive sport. Why wouldn't it be the best at spinning kicks.

I liked these videos that Hwang Jang Lee did. He went over a ton of kicks including obscure ones. He shows them executed while moving backwards which is not usually shown.

TKD introduced the two legitimate spinning kicks in the 70s: spinning back kick and spinning hook kick. In those days westerners generally lacked the flexibility to do a spinning hook kick, so you saw "spinning wheel kicks" which were just bad spinning hook kicks. The spinning back kick requires less flexibility and is useful against taller or aggressive opponents. The spinning hook kick is done incorrectly most often because practitioners lack the flexibility. In general it is a low-percentage technique but brutal when it lands correctly.

Video below (timestamped at 22m 18s) shows Han Jae Ku who I think was the best fighter of the 80s and had notorious spinning hook KO ability:

Either I'm ignorant of the way you WTF guys do it or that's just not a great spin kick..

I liked these videos that Hwang Jang Lee did. He went over a ton of kicks including obscure ones. He shows them executed while moving backwards which is not usually shown.

Hwang was solid but far from the best spin kicker. Awesome power for his size though. He could really whip his hip into his roundhouse kicks, although they are technically outdated

Hwang was solid but far from the best spin kicker. Awesome power for his size though. He could really whip his hip into his roundhouse kicks, although they are technically outdated
With all due respect to HJ Lee, his kicks are 60s style TKD and sort of spastic.

vs

Even an untrained person can see the difference in how they execute techniques. Yes the Uke is being complient, but it's a demo. of course they are. You have never trained in Hapkido, or with good hapkido guys. It's ok to admit you don't know something space.

Heads up, if you're responding to spacetime then don't bother. He's a troll, I have him on ignore - and so do many other Standup forum OGs. Recommend that you follow suit.

As for Hapkido - I had a school buddy who trained it for a number of years and he'd always go for that spinning-under-the-arm shit. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. Key was to yank your hand from his ASAP before he completed the motion. I never actually trained Hapkido but it does look at least a bit more practical than Aikido - which I did train. Aikido wasn't completely useless to me tho - I did Judo as well and Aikido taught me that you could actually pull off Judo throws effortlessly with the perfect timing... or a perfectly clueless opponent. :D

As for the original question - I think WTF TKD does the most and best spinning shit... but if you train WTF TKD you basically have no hands. :D So Karate may actually be a better choice if you want spinning shit AND hands. ;)

Heads up, if you're responding to spacetime then don't bother. He's a troll, I have him on ignore - and so do many other Standup forum OGs. Recommend that you follow suit.

As for Hapkido - I had a school buddy who trained it for a number of years and he'd always go for that spinning-under-the-arm shit. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. Key was to yank your hand from his ASAP before he completed the motion. I never actually trained Hapkido but it does look at least a bit more practical than Aikido - which I did train. Aikido wasn't completely useless to me tho - I did Judo as well and Aikido taught me that you could actually pull off Judo throws effortlessly with the perfect timing... or a perfectly clueless opponent. :D

As for the original question - I think WTF TKD does the most and best spinning shit... but if you train WTF TKD you basically have no hands. :D So Karate may actually be a better choice if you want spinning shit AND hands. ;)

yea 90% of the time i ignore him, just happened to post that for the rest of the forum really lol. Hapkido's a pretty misunderstood art IMO, as legit school's in the Us are few and far between (from my limited searches atleast).

I trained Kuk Sool (which is essentially hapkido, but "watered down" in some ways) But was lucky enough to train under guys that weren't part of the association, and got their rankings under guys like barry harmon and alex suh and guys like that.

We were also taught to never do that spinning under the arm shit in a live sparring scenario for that exact reason haha. It's supposed to be learning angles on the arm and being able to apply them from odd directions/orientations. Maybe that was just unique to our school since we had a lot of mma guys and old kickboxing guys too though.

Back