start fighting at 40?

just being able to die and say yeah I had a sanctioned fight. If fought plenty of times as a kid and in bars, but never a real match. I feel like a real fight is easier than a real match because it’s so spontaneous there’s no anxiety or work that goes into a real fight. A match would take discipline and fear.

One time I had a boxing match lined up and the other guy pulled out, then my coach quit and I never got back into it.

I love watching MMA and it just seems like I’m missing out by not having gone through the whole experience.
My advice is just go to the gym and dedicate as much time as you can. By the time you hit 40 or maybe 41 you'll be in fighting shape and skilled enough to have a match. The important thing is that you're in a competitive match, even if it's only in the gym, and don't try to bite off more than you can chew.

PS Happy Birthday!

Just do it! Fighting and training for a fight is the greatest thing I’ve ever done for my mental health

Go for it you won't be a world champion but you can experience the thrill of the fight.

Do it man , chase your dreams and goals. When you have your first amateur bout post it on here .

I turned 40 today and just destroyed my friend with a couple liver shots and leg kicks LOL
<Dany07>

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?
I turned pro in 2013 at the age of 35. Didn’t turn Pro to be a Champ or known fighter, I had just beat cancer and wanted to live out a “dream”. I wrestled in hs and college, been a judoka since a child, cousin is pro boxer Karim Mayfield, best friend is Bunkerd Fairtex’s oldest son, and I had been at Fairtex Muay Thai SF long before Alpha Male, Team Cesar Gracie and MFS came weekly to train. So I had been training with pro fighters long before I ever thought about fighting plus I taught Muay Thai and Wrestling at the old K1 Fitness in SF. I’d train a lot longer then a yr and be completely realistic about your goals and wants in becoming a fighter. You will be a regional fighter if you even get fights offered to you during your Am career, fighting for pennies and selling your own tickets to events, if seeking fame and money, it’s not realistic regardless of how good you may end up being. I went 2-1 as am Am losing my last Am fight and went 2-3 as a Pro, but enjoyed every moment of the journey. Now I’m a Boxing Instructor to Am and Pro fighters, and teach a Muay Thai kids class.

So I'm turning 39. I did karate as a little kid for a year or two. I ran a lot in highschool and did boxing classes, a lot of heavy bag, sparred a bit. My jab is decent. I did fencing for a few years and got good linear footwork. I've watched most UFCs so I know the moves, and have rolled a few times.

So I'm thinking of training hard for a year to get in shape, and then fighting when I'm 40. Has this been done before?

Honestly I think it’d be very very difficult simply because the ground aspect of things. BJJ isn’t something you become proficient in, or even just proficient in defending the basics overnight. It takes a lot of time, dedication, and patience. I think it’s realistic to start fighting over 40 for you if you take care of your body and we’re willing to invest a year or two into BJJ though. Just my thoughts.

I think the answer is obvious. It's never a good idea to get into a fight no matter what your age or experience level is. If you are dying to check it off your list then go ahead and do it, but you need to get in with a reputable gym. Some guys out there probably just look for meat to throw into the grinder for their promoter buddies. If you get a fight and the guy ends up being not what you were promised (like more experience, larger, younger) then walk the fuck away. I"ve seen a guy get the shit kicked out of him because his "trainer" somehow got him matched wiht a dude who cut weight and had several fights under his belt. In hindsight they were punking him.

just being able to die and say yeah I had a sanctioned fight. If fought plenty of times as a kid and in bars, but never a real match. I feel like a real fight is easier than a real match because it’s so spontaneous there’s no anxiety or work that goes into a real fight. A match would take discipline and fear.

One time I had a boxing match lined up and the other guy pulled out, then my coach quit and I never got back into it.

I love watching MMA and it just seems like I’m missing out by not having gone through the whole experience.
I think you have alot of misconceptions. Fighting as a kid and in bars are usually just a couple of untrained people swinging wildly on each other. And "Watching the UFC and knowing the moves" isn't training. Just join a gym and see where it goes.

LOL..couch potato about to get learnt some things..stick to pickleball, boomer..

I know a guy, who started boxing at age of 45. Obviously, he didn't do it professionally, but why not starting at 40?

I second the recommendation for Master Sports. I know of Master Knockdown Karate, Judo and Boxing tournaments. Not familiar with Master MMA or BJJ tournaments for old guys. Saw two 74 year olds doing a master boxing tournament a few years back. Saw a 62 year old doing a bare knuckle karate match. He got 3rd place. There is 80+ guy doing Judo presently in my area but not sure if he is competing. I competed in master boxing and knockdown karate tournaments at 54. Hope to do it again and even do a master judo tournament after COVID when I am 63. Competition, no matter how legit it is to fighting, makes me train harder, watch my diet, lose weight and have overall better health. A complete win. Very safe but I hate the worrying up to the competition. Go for it. If you are really good, you maybe can get a match at a local show. I did see a poster with a match for 60+ fighter and a 40+ fighter on it a few years back. Best of luck.

Yea brother. Go for it, find a org or fights against opponents with similar skill sets or even age. As long as your enjoying yourself and being safe thats what its about. Im sure at 40 you have a family so keep in mind its probably not the best thing in the world for them to see daddy go into the ring against guy whos been fighting for 5 years or more. So just take that into consideration. Why dont you look for NAGA events and go from there, Seriously reccomend that you get to compete have fun and be safe. Aloha

If you want to do it as a bucket list thing against a fellow n00b, I say go for it.

If you're thinking about trying to make a UFC run, I'd say stick to posting about MMA.

Sure you can get yourself in shape and get in there and compete man, you know the risks..go for it

Probably a really bad idea.

Do you even have the time to dedicate? in my 20s I trained 6 days per week for 3-5 hours per day, this is the kind of time you need to put in to be ready to fight.
I had a job with no responsibility, no wife, no kids, no mortgage.

Also I was ALWAYS injured, small things usually but there was always a strain, a bump, an infection (staph) sometimes a dislocation and occasionally a broken nose/bone at worst a concussion.
But everyone in the gym was always dealing with minor injuries.

At your age the injuries will probably be worse, I'm 40 now and last trained BJJ when I was 38, as much as I enjoyed it, the injuries were harder to recover from.

Join a gym to keep fit, you can do boxing, kickboxing etc.

But training for a fight is very very different, if you're there 1-2 hours a day for 3-5 days a week you're not going to be ready to fight a 19 year old savage who is training 6 hours a day and wants to make a career of this, that guy will have no qualms in bashing your skull in, breaking your arms or, tearing your knee ligaments apart for a $200 pay day.

I’m in the same boat but I’m doing this for the work out and experience I wouldn’t dare to compete, just want to learn to protect myself and feel good.

Back