Steroids in High Level BJJ

I would say almost all the guys in ADCC are using. But I barely follow it. But for the drug testing, you need wada or USADA to drug test you randomly 365 days of the year to be effective in my opinion. Bjj tournaments drug test during the event and that’s it. And honestly at least 95% or higher don’t drug test.

I mean Jiu jitsu works, but....steroids work. At a high level when most other things are equal (weight, rank, age) the deciding factor may be strength or ability to train more and steroids will allow athletes to recover better and train with more frequency. Besides, if you look at how most professionals use steroids now, it's relatively safe.

I mean Jiu jitsu works, but....steroids work. At a high level when most other things are equal (weight, rank, age) the deciding factor may be strength or ability to train more and steroids will allow athletes to recover better and train with more frequency. Besides, if you look at how most professionals use steroids now, it's relatively safe.
Sure recovery doesn't hurt, but it's super overrated in all the steroid discussions.
Having like 20kg more muscles helps a fuckton more.

Sure recovery doesn't hurt, but it's super overrated in all the steroid discussions.
Having like 20kg more muscles helps a fuckton more.
I don't disagree with that, but putting on muscle is not that hard to do, even naturally. Obviously there are limits to what can be done naturally but I fully believe Gordon Ryan's physique could be natural. Getting good at Jiu Jitsu is way harder than bodybuilding in my opinion so I feel there is more value in increased mat time. But my Jiu Jitsu needs the mat time haha.

soke-karate.jpg

Fists, foot kicks, and karate chops right across the center of any bjj guy's face... hopefully not splitting the face/skull in half.

Not even mad at the funny trolling in this thread

It's your decision. Guys who say it's cheating are missing the point that BJJ competition for older guys isn't about being the 'champion,' since there's nothing really at stake, and no testing rules anyways.

If you compete in BJJ, you are going to go up against roided guys all the time. The question is whether you are getting a good competitive experience under a consistent ruleset, not whether it's 'fair.' It's never going to be fair.

TRT is no joke, and I gather that it's hard to get off it once you start. But I also think that a lot of doctors want older men to resign themselves to a sort of lowly and weakening existence as long as it's 'healthy,' until they eventually die under managed medical care. That's not something anyone needs to agree with. You have to make your own decisions.

I would disagree. I have less issues at the top level of BJJ with athletes using steroids. My issue is when people using TRT and PEDs and then compete in comps against people that aren't. Why should I have to compete against some like that and I think it's a barrier to older causal people feeling safe to compete. I don't care about winning, but I care about an even playing field.

Just grow old gracefully and take the performance drop off that comes with old age. There are plenty of ways to hold it off with smart training and realising you aren't a pro athlete and training accordingly. BJJ is one of the few sports were casuals are expected to train 5+ x a week to get good and compete casually.

Just some thoughts about the topic....

- jiu jitsu is a sport where it is expected to train year round. Not many other sports have quite the same regiment. Recovery is key to stay effectively training year round and not lose the arms race.

- multifaceted training that could include wrestling practice, conditioning, weight training, striking ( for those with mma future), and of course, jiu jitsu. All these options leave a hierarchy for energy use in which option to put the most time in to. You can only do so much. Recovery allows for more of each or all of these, but my main point being that juice would allow better results from less time spent strength training which would allow more time spent training skilled aspects of the game.

- super human athletes gravitate towards more money making sports. Those with gifted genetics that can pack on lean muscle and have a natural strength would more likely play football, baseball, etc. ( of course those sports have tons of using athletes). So what you may have is guys who are super inclined technique wise and mentally wise, but feel the need to athletically improve to compete with the few super athletes who do jiu jitsu.

Steroids isn’t the new norm. It has been a legit staple of the sport for as long as I can remember.

Steroids improve cardio though through higher red blood cells and higher levels of haemoglobin.
Steroids are used for all kinds of issues, including dermatology.
Which steroids are you referring to and a link to source, stating your claim, please.

Steroids are used for all kinds of issues, including dermatology.
Which steroids are you referring to and a link to source, stating your claim, please.

Really? Obviously anabolic steroids considering the context of this thread. As for a source, just check like... any study, ever. It has been known for decades.

Here, copy and paste from wiki: ''As their name suggests, AAS have two different, but overlapping, types of effects: anabolic, meaning that they promote anabolism (cell growth), and androgenic (or virilizing), meaning that they affect the development and maintenance of masculine characteristics.

Some examples of the anabolic effects of these hormones are increased protein synthesis from amino acids, increased appetite, increased bone remodeling and growth, and stimulation of bone marrow, which increases the production of red blood cells.''

Really? Obviously anabolic steroids considering the context of this thread. As for a source, just check like... any study, ever. It has been known for decades.

Here, copy and paste from wiki: ''As their name suggests, AAS have two different, but overlapping, types of effects: anabolic, meaning that they promote anabolism (cell growth), and androgenic (or virilizing), meaning that they affect the development and maintenance of masculine characteristics.

Some examples of the anabolic effects of these hormones are increased protein synthesis from amino acids, increased appetite, increased bone remodeling and growth, and stimulation of bone marrow, which increases the production of red blood cells.''
I suggest you to read a bit about the type of steroids, their effect on recovery and sport performance.

There are very few steroids that would help you with cardio for fighting.

What you do with steroids is, to first implement sport specific program (huge difference between a cyclist and a wrestler cardio needs).
Then you will quickly find that you dont need a BIG muscle, but a strong and trained specifically for your sport muscle.

The only sport where bigger is better than stronger is bodybuilding and the bodybuilders goals are on a completely different scale, compared to combat athletes.

Back