Steroids in High Level BJJ

- Technique beats strength
In my opinion, anyone who juices to get a competitive edge is not a black belt in my eyes. The black belt represents mastery over fear and represents dedication to a healthy lifestyle. Steroids directly contradicts this.

two important things :
1, technique is only an efficient use of strength, of course the leverage exercised by strength is limited while the leverage exercised by technique is exponential but when your doing a technique, let's say a single leg, you are still using your muscle. Your using a certain level of strength. That's why 90% of BJJ can't do a high crotch or a suplex, every technique require a certain amount of strength, some more than others.
2, technique can start to deteriorate with pain and fatigue, that's why conditioning is your best hold.

Technique don't beat strength. Technique allow strength to be better exercised. There is a reason why in the modern BJJ era, a lot of grappler are doing strongman exercise. We are not in the gracie cherry picking era, to beat a stronger opponent with no technique is nothing but a blue belt achievement. There is a reason why freestyle wrestler work on conditioning, there is no need to be ashamed of strength, did you forget that Royce Gracie was on steroid ? Technique and Strength will always beat technique alone. Gordon Ryan with the juice or not is still world class, but i agree with you we want a clean sport.

Are you a competitive BJJ athlete?

No -> who the fuck cares about what the juice monkeys are doing, stop being a Karen.
Yes -> you're an idiot who will never go anywhere if you don't take steroids.

Well the No part is a problem. If you are a high level BJJ guy who doesn't do drugs and just trains at a gym filled with competitive guys, you have to compete with all those guys anyway. Its chemical warfare on the mats at the gym and on the competitive scene. As someone who has been in that position for years upon years, its honestly disgusting.

Well the No part is a problem. If you are a high level BJJ guy who doesn't do drugs and just trains at a gym filled with competitive guys, you have to compete with all those guys anyway. Its chemical warfare on the mats at the gym and on the competitive scene. As someone who has been in that position for years upon years, its honestly disgusting.
My teammates doing steroids helps me train better. They get stronger so are tougher rolls for me and I improve more.

My teammates doing steroids helps me train better. They get stronger so are tougher rolls for me and I improve more.

Yeah I am going to disagree with you there. You can get better rolls with people who are not relying on their roided strength to sweep you, submit you, etc. Your training partners that are using are actually increasing your odds of injury significantly, as well as creating an artificial environment as a whole.

I'm 59 years old today. I would not even consider steroids or TRT. The side effects are not worth it. You get old a lot quicker than you think. It seems like yesterday, I was 40. I don't want to tap to a side effect of some drug I took in my younger years.

I'm 59 years old today. I would not even consider steroids or TRT. The side effects are not worth it. You get old a lot quicker than you think. It seems like yesterday, I was 40. I don't want to tap to a side effect of some drug I took in my younger years.

It's not as simple as ''steroids = bad''. Dosed right, they might help some people live a better and healthier life (fighting sarcopenia comes to mind). Most users are dumb fucks who take way too much though.

There is always a cost for everything. What a drug gives in one area, it takes from another. I would be willing to bet that less than 1 in a 1000 people using steroids in the BJJ community are doing it for medical reasons like sarcopenia.

There is always a cost for everything. What a drug gives in one area, it takes from another. I would be willing to bet that less than 1 in a 1000 people using steroids in the BJJ community are doing it for medical reasons like sarcopenia.

I was talking about aging men.

Thanks Winterbike. For what it is worth, I am not trying to be argumentative.

Mild TRT is fine, you're not becoming a roid monster with a little cream.

As for steroids in high level grappling, it's par for the course. It's entry level expected and it's not cheating if everyone's doing it on a level playing field. Kind of like Lance Armstrong being the best in a pool of athletes doing exactly the same thing.

Steroids are common in everything to whitebelts in grapplers quest to world champions. It's not going to change, guys get past USADA WADA and all others ADA ofcourse they're going to take it in untested or poorly tested organizations.

Mild TRT is fine, you're not becoming a roid monster with a little cream.

As for steroids in high level grappling, it's par for the course. It's entry level expected and it's not cheating if everyone's doing it on a level playing field. Kind of like Lance Armstrong being the best in a pool of athletes doing exactly the same thing.
i think controlled TRT after your levels naturally drop significantly is also fine. when your body stops producing testosterone, getting it higher artificially can really benefit you. but you should be elevating it to come closer to your previous natural levels, not the point where your fucking ears are steaming like a kettle.

the problem i see is people who start using it willy-nilly when they're in their twenties. also know a guy who took testosterone without doing any testing of his current levels, or anything. he was in his 40s, got some test, just took it. dude was roided to the fucking gills. had a heart attack a few years ago. shocker.

Back