Streets of Rage 4 - April 30th 2020

Decided to buy the game anyone finish it what's the length ?

I got to the end of the third stage in less than 30 minutes, so my guess is not very long. These games are built for replays.

I think my big complaint with the game but also kinda why I like it at the same time is how basic it is. It's really paint by the numbers and an old school feeling game. It's very simple and you are pretty much doing the same moves over and over. It's also not very challenging on the normal difficulty.

It's basic nature is also its downfall. There just isn't much there. I love the music and have come to really like the graphics and characters but once I beat it, I can't really see myself revisting it. I think it may have benefited from some modern touches like Double Dragon Neon.

Not having any kind of parry, block or dodge in a modern beat em up just feels weird. You pretty much just have to move out of the way of attacks and it feels really sluggish and clunky. Also, not being able to run feels like something is missing. Again, it's like the old games but it feels like something is missing when you are playing a new game in 2020.

Still fun and recommended if you are a SoR fan. I think it's a worthy entry.

Played it about 14 hours so far and it didn't get boring yet, so that's a good sign. To me, a sign for a quality beat em up is if i can beat it at least 4 times on loop without getting sick of it, because that means the core mechanics are as satisfying as they should be. I am very fond of the art style and music as well, so this is arguably my favorite Streets of Rage game next to the original so far. My only criticism is that you apparently cannot play the battle mode against a cpu, which is really a flaw that shouldn't exist.

I also find it interesting that some elements (Map screen, train level) seem to be inspired by SoR Remake.

It's basic nature is also its downfall. There just isn't much there. I love the music and have come to really like the graphics and characters but once I beat it, I can't really see myself revisting it. I think it may have benefited from some modern touches like Double Dragon Neon.

Not having any kind of parry, block or dodge in a modern beat em up just feels weird. You pretty much just have to move out of the way of attacks and it feels really sluggish and clunky. Also, not being able to run feels like something is missing. Again, it's like the old games but it feels like something is missing when you are playing a new game in 2020.

Still fun and recommended if you are a SoR fan. I think it's a worthy entry.

Well, that's not totally correct. In SOR3 running and dodging was universal, but now only certain characters like the SOR3 cast can do both in this game. Cherry can run and Adam can do a short dash.

You are right about the other characters feeling sluggish when the enemies are running around with improved moves that have invincibility frames or can now track.

Beat it tonight. Solid experience. I wasn't completely sold on the tone of the game as it felt like a anime or 80s cartoon instead of a martial arts/crime vibe like the original. The music was on point though as was the combat.

I do have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of these re-imaginings of stuff I grew up with though. These 20 and 30 year old programmers are changing games into something they aren't instead of just making new games. From Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Double Dragon and now Streets of Rage, they don't feel like they have the same tone or respect given to the originals. You look at something like Killer Instinct and the characters barely even look like the originals. With Double Dragon, they turned them into Bill & Ted goofballs.

Granted, these are all good games but there's a certain disrespect and tonal change that pisses me off. I wish SoR4 would have just been a pixel art game with updated graphics and a more serious tone. Overall I liked it but it could have been better.

Last edited:
Beat it tonight. Solid experience. I wasn't completely sold on the tone of the game as it felt like a anime or 80s cartoon instead of a martial arts/crime vibe like the original. The music was on point though as was the combat.

I do have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of these re-imaginings of stuff I grew up with though. These 20 and 30 year old programmers are changing games into something they aren't instead of just making new games. From Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Double Dragon and now Streets of Rage, they don't feel like they have the same tone or respect given to the originals. You look at something like Killer Instinct and the characters barely even look like the originals. With Double Dragon, they turned them into Bill & Ted goofballs.

Granted, these are all good games but there's a certain disrespect and tonal change that pisses me off. I wish SoR4 would have just been a pixel art game with updated graphics and a more serious tone. Overall I liked it but it could have been better.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what is off about these games, but you described it perfectly. I beat the new Streets of rage a couple of nights ago too and had a blast with it, but I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I wasn't using a fight stick.

I didn't even know there was a new Battle toads game coming out, that's awesome! I was amped for Double Dragon Neon, it was alright, but it lost me after a few levels. It also had a really confusing way of connecting a second player for couch co-op.

I think my favorite reboot so far has been Bionic Commando Re-armed. This felt solid and really true to the original NES version. This also came out 12 years ago and the developers were probably closer to our age and grew up with the game.

Another reboot I saw the other day was Toki. I remember playing this i the arcade a bit, but I think I'm going to pass on the reboot. I have a bartop arcade cabinet that runs MAME and I would just assume download it and play it on there.

Last edited:
I couldn't quite put my finger on what is off about these games, but you described it perfectly. I beat the new Streets of rage a couple of nights ago too and had a blast with it, but I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I wasn't using a fight stick.

I didn't even know there was a new Battle toads game coming out, that's awesome! I was amped for Double Dragon Neon was alright, but it lost me after a few levels. It also had a really confusing way of connecting a second player for couch co-op.

I think my favorite reboot so far has been Bionic Commando Re-armed. This felt solid and really true to the original NES version. This also came out 12 years ago and the developers were probably closer to our age and grew up with the game.

Another reboot I saw the other day was Toki. I remember playing this i the arcade a bit, but I think I'm going to pass on the reboot. I have a bartop arcade cabinet that runs MAME and I would just assume download it and play it on there.

Yep. I liked Bionic Commando as well. Another good one is Strider. It feels like those games pay respect to the original and are simply updated. These other games feel like they are just using the name and lost the tone/atmosphere completely. Even though they are more modern, Resident Evil 2 and 3 absolutely nail the tone of the originals as well.

A lot of people hated it but I actually liked Double Dragon 4. It uses the same engine as Double Dragon II. Yeah, it's not amazing but if it would have come out on the NES back in the day, I would have loved it. It's certainly more respectful and faithful to Double Dragon than Neon was.

Beat it in one sitting tonight playing with my best friend online. Had a blast. He and I used to play SOR2 and 3 on his Genesis 25 years ago when we were in like grades 4 and 5.

Hopefully, Estel, Shiva, and Max will be playable in the future.

Streets of Rage on the Sega Genesis with my buddies was the best shit ever!!!

Once I saw SOR4's new 'thick' character models I figured this game would be a lost cause. Glad to hear it's holding up ok!

Wow! I've been watching some demos and this IS Streets of Rage! I can't believe it! This is awesome! Now, I just need to convince my gf to play as Blaze and we can brawl this shit out co-op style!

Who’s everyone finding themselves playing as?

My first play through was Adam after I unlocked him. The dash was too good. Starting to really get into the swing of things with Axel though. His potential for insane combos is really addicting. Haven’t given most of the other characters too much of a chance yet.

My first play through was Adam after I unlocked him. The dash was too good. Starting to really get into the swing of things with Axel though. His potential for insane combos is really addicting. Haven’t given most of the other characters too much of a chance yet.

Adam
Floyd
Blaze because her vertical slash can hit enemies off the ground, and her Kikousho causes a wall bounce)
SOR3 Shiva

They screwed up SOR2 Max, imo.

On my first play through I did Axel, Floyd and Cherry. Floyd has a really good special attack (whatever you call - the one that uses the star ammo) and he seems to have the ability to just grab enemies without doing anything. Meanwhile Cherry’s “strong attack” (whatever it’s called - forward + triangle on PS4) can be spammed a lot making some of the bosses a bit of a joke I found.

How do you unlock SO3 Shiva? I loved playing as him in SO3.

Just keep on accumulating overall points from repeatedly playing the game to unlock every character.

He's powerful but soft (healthwise).

Last edited:
I liked Adam the best overall. He felt the most balanced. I also liked Blaze.

Alex is good but slow. Cherry is fun but too wild. I didn't like Floyd at all.

Back