Stretches for High Kicks?

DustyWarrior

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Which one of you fine sherbros wants to help a brother out and point me in the direction of a good stretching routine for improving high kick / side kick flexibility.

My front kicks aren't so bad (can get my foot about as high as my head), but my side kicks are awful, I think perhaps my adductors are very tight? I'm not sure, but theres a lot of conflicting info out there. Can someone help me out with a routine I can do daily to improve flexibility in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Pretty some people's bands are just eternally tight. Did stretch n holds and used the leg machine for months and months, never saw any progress when doing the splits. Just pain that was borderline injury.

Best of luck, check back in 3 months and tell us if anything worked.

Always worth noting that dynamic and static flexibility are two different functions (even if related). In addition to stretching routines, spending a round or two each training session just working high kicks on a heavy bag will expedite any progress, if that's the goal.

Always worth noting that dynamic and static flexibility are two different functions (even if related). In addition to stretching routines, spending a round or two each training session just working high kicks on a heavy bag will expedite any progress, if that's the goal.
PSA: When you go overboard and throw 450 kicks in a single workout session and you hurt inside and outside of your thighs, have a bottle of ibuprofen ready for a week. You will wonder about 19 times if you pulled something and need a doctor.

Sit down underneath a door frame, with you back against one side of the frame and your legs split at 45° whilst facing the other side of the frame. One leg should be in one room and the other leg in another room. Lean forward and grab the architrave on each side with the respective hand, then pull yourself forwards slowly.

If you are doing this correctly, you should feel it in your groin muscles and inner thigh.

i saw a few good videos on darustrong youtube channel also on this topic of stretching mobility etc

Just stretch every day, side splits and front.

Most of my improvement came from kicking though. I'm 6'6" and can axe kick doorway lintels and turning or spinning kick my headheight. The latter I can only achieve by having by head and shoulders near waist height. I definitely don't have full power at those extremities though, I have long legs and tight hips.

Anything Superfoot says has gotta be golden, bit I might be more interested in hearing from people that have improved their flexibility later in life.

The kids at my work who can perform side or front splits can all throw kicks at the height of their own heads so working on the splits might help. I recommend going into a sauna and working through static stretches, or performing dynamic stretches prior to working out.

flexibility is just part of it. Work on building Strength through further and further ranges of motions, specifically in your hips. Things like isometric holds work great for this.

Is personally one of my favorites i used for students. (though disclaimer, i don't like how he's doing it in the video exactly. But it's that motion/idea)

but if you do it, focus on over exaggerating the "crunch" and "extension" portions of the kick. Bring your knee all the way in to touch your elbow, and then extend your hips all the way until they're almost rotating inwards, and your upper body is actively leaning away. And focus on keeping 1 completely straight line from head to heel (kicking leg) when you're extending. As for height, start at about hip height and go slow. I'd increase reps to where you could do about 50 easily on each before adding too much more height. (unless you're already very flexible)

Beginner students i'd have do 20-30 slow reps on each leg before a break. Advanced students would do 100+ without putting their foot down.

What age are you?

Generally easier to do when younger.

I'm nearly 38 and can get about shoulder height kicks without trouble, having barely thrown any kicks generally for the last 15 years.

I would pick up the practice of Yoga stretches. A lot of these stretches helped with my flying side kicks, and it helps stretch the hips and lower back really well. It has especially saved my back many times over! A good hour of stretching will do wonders on your body but its better to work your way up into each stretch and not force it. Stretching is like another form of meditation, as you breath and relax the body you are also stretching it to another level of flexibility.

i found this one very useful lately. Also it is important to notice that consistency is key to be flexible. The best trick that helped me is everytime u watch TV, netflix or whatever before bed, do the flexibility stretches during that

Wow I hope this doesn't count as a necrobump but I'm impressed superfoot has a YT channel! Subbing for sure

Back