Strongman Log Diameter

Ultra O’Dia

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone here have much experience with the log?
I know that pressing a fatter log is more difficult, but how about the clean?

i have one, but im looking to go bigger in diameter.
im hoping that that makes the clean portion as much harder as it makes the press portion. The clean is currently much easier than the pushpress for me, and i know larger diameter makes the press harder. i dont want it to become a straight up pressing workout and the clean and afterthought.

Yes, i can add weights, lol, but i like to do really long sets where i keep the log on me at all times, going between hang clean/curls, presses and squats.

Not sure, but I'm pretty certain the logs don't vary much in diameter unless you're building them yourself.

i have one, but im looking to go bigger in diameter.
im hoping that that makes the clean portion as much harder as it makes the press portion.
It will not.

Cleaning a log is nothing like cleaning a barbell. Because you set it on your legs, the larger the diameter of the log, the higher the center of the log is to begin with. Then, being a larger diameter, as you roll it up your chest, the same amount of rotation will roll it to a higher position.

Within the range of normal log sizes, most people will find a larger diameter log to be easier to clean.

It will not.

Cleaning a log is nothing like cleaning a barbell. Because you set it on your legs, the larger the diameter of the log, the higher the center of the log is to begin with. Then, being a larger diameter, as you roll it up your chest, the same amount of rotation will roll it to a higher position.

Within the range of normal log sizes, most people will find a larger diameter log to be easier to clean.
thanks.
i guess that settles it.

I have a pretty thin log, the smallest diameter I could buy for the sake of saving space in my garage. Cleaning it at heavy weight is pretty difficult, almost as much as the press itself.

I have a pretty thin log, the smallest diameter I could buy for the sake of saving space in my garage. Cleaning it at heavy weight is pretty difficult, almost as much as the press itself.
i have an 8 inch. its easier to clean, but i am not a good presser.

ive gone back to using rocks, now, lol

I'm guessing it's normal for your log and barbell clean to be about 40-50 lbs apart?

Back