SUMO - 2021 Natsu Basho (May 9th - May 23rd)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
nlUNMC5.jpg

Another sumo tournament has arrived! Unfortunately, this one will have a dark shadow cast over it, both with the first three days being held without spectators due to COVID fears, but far more importantly coming after the death of Hibikiryu (real name Amano Mitsuki). We've all talked about the need for the sport to change in many ways, but there has been a lot of negative press for the sport because of the shameful way his injury was handled which might actually lead to something happening. I wouldn't expect anything major though, unfortunately. It's been pretty eye-opening and I think even more than the other negative aspects of the sport (the nationalism and anti-foreigner sentiment, corruption, violence, long-term health effects) I think the complete lack of regard for Hibikiryu's safety and the inability for those in power to see him as a human being in distress has made me question my support for the sport. If I was in the position to, I definitely wouldn't support the sport and the NSK monetarily by buying tickets until something fundamental changed. But what can I say, I still love the sport....

Let's take a look at the rankings:
f1H3Io4.jpg

Maegashira: This was brought up by @JacJeanFinger in the previous tournament thread, but this is a pretty rare tournament where nobody is making their debut in either of the top two divisions, or in any of the top division's Sanyaku ranks. It's only the second time in history this has happened and the last time was also in May, in 1966. More news in Maegashira, Ryuden will be suspended this tournament for breaching COVID-19 protocols. Most of the excitement in Maegashira comes in the top half of the ranks this time, with Hoshoryu continuing his rise up the ranks. We also have Tobizaru making a pretty big jump up the ranks on the back of a nice 10-5 tournament. And the commentator's nightmare, Wakatakakage is poised to earn promotion to Sanyaku this tournament.

Komosubi and Sekiwake: There should be some excitement coming from these guys as well. Yusho-winner in January, Daieisho didn't have a blowout performance in March, but he still had a solid 8-7 tournament. But we've seen that when he's on, he dominates. His Komosubi counterpart, Mitakeumi is solid at this rank, but I wouldn't expect him to challenge for the championship. Takanosho is also very solid at this rank, and while I wouldn't expect him to challenge for the Yusho, he should get his 8 wins comfortably and I think one of these days he'll have a breakout tournament as a Sekiwake. And finally, Takayasu.... The March tournament was really heartbreaking for him, as he looked so close to getting his first tournament only to stumble at the final hurdle and have a pretty disastrous final few days. Can he make up for that here? I'd love to see it and he's a very likable guy, but I think his opportunities have come and gone.

Ozeki: The biggest story at the sport's second-highest rank (and the highest rank actually competing) will definitely be Terunofuji's return to Ozeki. His career is a pretty amazing one, and the way that he fought his way back is just a great story. I'd probably put him down as the front-runner for the championship. Shodai however, will be in the unenviable position Terunofuji once found himself in, fighting for his rank. Coming off a 7-8 tournament, Shodai needs to turn things around. He was looking really solid during his Ozeki promotion run, but since being promoted to the rank he's not looked that great. I think of him as a pretty defensive rikishi, and that means he gets himself in tough situations pretty frequently and he just hasn't been able to turn things around as much as he used to. Hopefully that changes here, though.

Takakeisho looks great when he's on form, but his cardio has been an issue and as a pusher-thruster with a very short, round body, when things go wrong for him he struggles to get back into the fight. Finally, at the top of the rankings Asanoyaua hasn't set the world on fire the way I would have expected him to, but he's been by far the most solid Ozeki and apart from the tournament he withdrew from, has gotten double-digit wins every time. I think he just needs to turn things up a bit, maybe even just a slight adjustment at the tachiai or a few more pounds of muscle, to take the next step.

----------------------------------------------------

And with Kakuryu's retirement and Hakuho out, recovering from an injury, that's it!

Viewing Options: Youtube channels like Kintamayama and NattoSumo are great for daily highlights.

There are also Twitch channels streaming full broadcasts live every day, and while catching sumo live isn't always that easy from the West, their channels are great places to go for VODs. Mbovosumo streams the NHK broadcast, and Karla_sumoist I believe streams the Abemo broadcasts from the lowest divisions to the top.

And it's always great to have new people join the fun and start following the sport, but it's definitely not the easiest sport to understand when you first start watching. If you're new, feel free to head over to the Introduction to SUMO thread to get a basic, although probably outdated, introduction to the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

CuLYvsc.jpg

(as usual I'll just @ everyone that has posted in recent sumo threads)
@babycart @EL CORINTHIAN @shincheckin @rmongler @JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy @ChainFlow @Oshime2 @DatCutman @catchwrestle @rodgerdodger @Sapp @Apollo33 @MoreKane @BoxingMMA @dkjt @-guerilla- @ChickenBrother @INTERL0PER @what-wut @Adjaar @TheRuthlessOne @elreece @Tone C @loyalyolayal @Nameless King @GSP_37 @Kaybee @Fluffernutter @Stormtrooper85 @Jin Akutsu @AZ103 @Sumomike @listrahtes @BananaManPoo

Last edited:
nlUNMC5.jpg

Another sumo tournament has arrived! Unfortunately, this one will have a dark shadow cast over it, both with the first three days being held without spectators due to COVID fears, but far more importantly coming after the death of Hibikiryu (real name Amano Mitsuki). We've all talked about the need for the sport to change in many ways, but there has been a lot of negative press for the sport because of the shameful way his injury was handled which might actually lead to something happening. I wouldn't expect anything major though, unfortunately.

f1H3Io4.jpg

Maegashira: This was brought up by @JacJeanFinger in the previous tournament thread, but this is a pretty rare tournament where nobody is making their debut in either of the top two divisions, or in any of the top division's Sanyaku ranks. It's only the second time in history this has happened and the last time was also in May, in 1966. More news in Maegashira, Ryuden will be suspended this tournament for breaching COVID-19 protocols. Most of the excitement in Maegashira comes in the top half of the ranks this time, with Hoshoryu continuing his rise up the ranks. We also have Tobizaru making a pretty big jump up the ranks on the back of a nice 10-5 tournament. And the commentator's nightmare, Wakatakakage is poised to earn promotion to Sanyaku this tournament.

Komosubi and Sekiwake: There should be some excitement coming from these guys as well. Yusho-winner in January, Daieisho didn't have a blowout performance in March, but he still had a solid 8-7 tournament. But we've seen that when he's on, he dominates. His Komosubi counterpart, Mitakeumi is solid at this rank, but I wouldn't expect him to challenge for the championship. Takanosho is also very solid at this rank, and while I wouldn't expect him to challenge for the Yusho, he should get his 8 wins comfortably and I think one of these days he'll have a breakout tournament as a Sekiwake. And finally, Takayasu.... The March tournament was really heartbreaking for him, as he looked so close to getting his first tournament only to stumble at the final hurdle and have a pretty disastrous final few days. Can he make up for that here? I'd love to see it and he's a very likable guy, but I think his opportunities have come and gone.

Ozeki: The biggest story at the sport's second-highest rank (and the highest rank actually competing) will definitely be Terunofuji's return to Ozeki. His career is a pretty amazing one, and the way that he fought his way back is just a great story. I'd probably put him down as the front-runner for the championship. Shodai however, will be in the unenviable position Terunofuji once found himself in, fighting for his rank. Coming off a 7-8 tournament, Shodai needs to turn things around. He was looking really solid during his Ozeki promotion run, but since being promoted to the rank he's not looked that great. I think of him as a pretty defensive rikishi, and that means he gets himself in tough situations pretty frequently and he just hasn't been able to turn things around as much as he used to. Hopefully that changes here, though.

Takakeisho looks great when he's on form, but his cardio has been an issue and as a pusher-thruster with a very short, round body, when things go wrong for him he struggles to get back into the fight. Finally, at the top of the rankings Asanoyaua hasn't set the world on fire the way I would have expected him to, but he's been by far the most solid Ozeki and apart from the tournament he withdrew from, has gotten double-digit wins every time. I think he just needs to turn things up a bit, maybe even just a slight adjustment at the tachiai or a few more pounds of muscle, to take the next step.

And with Kakuryu's retirement and Hakuho out, recovering from an injury, that's it!

Viewing Options: Youtube channels like Kintamayama and NattoSumo are great for daily highlights.

There are also Twitch channels streaming full broadcasts live every day, and while catching sumo live isn't always that easy from the West, their channels are great places to go for VODs. Mbovosumo streams the NHK broadcast, and Karla_sumoist I believe streams the Abemo broadcasts from the lowest divisions to the top.

And it's always great to have new people join the fun and start following the sport, but it's definitely not the easiest sport to understand when you first start watching. If you're new, feel free to head over to the Introduction to SUMO thread to get a basic, and probably outdated introduction to the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

CuLYvsc.jpg

@babycart @EL CORINTHIAN @shincheckin @rmongler @JkMMA @PurpleStorm @Asurah @Sano @josh from md @Okajima @RJ Green @winterbike @LC Shepard @Bluesbreaker @hyu244 @s_o_c_a_r @Slick_36 @Senshi @Muppettoker @argy-bargy @ChainFlow @Oshime2 @DatCutman @catchwrestle @rodgerdodger @Sapp @Apollo33 @MoreKane @BoxingMMA @dkjt @-guerilla- @ChickenBrother @INTERL0PER @what-wut @Adjaar @TheRuthlessOne @elreece @Tone C @loyalyolayal @Nameless King @GSP_37 @Kaybee @Fluffernutter @Stormtrooper85 @Jin Akutsu @AZ103 @Sumomike @listrahtes @BananaManPoo

Thanks very much for the tag and your post. Have a good weekend!

what an intro. Thanks a lot for all the work Fork! Will you also write a little about Juryo?

Can Ura qualify for Makuuchi this basho? Any news of his injury he caught at the end of the last one?

We got 4 rikishi kyujo from day 1
Obviously Hakuho, Aoiyama, Midorifuji and the aforementioned Ryuden

Really looking forward to Daeisho, Tobizaru and Wakatakakages performances.

I bet on Wakatakatage as a surprise basho winner.

No likes left but that wouldn't do justice for the tag and time taken to write that

Thank you.x

I hate to be that guy but I have to be honest here. As much the NSK need to change a lot of their ways, blaming them for the death of the rikishi is not fair. This is the one time where even I am thinking. Wait a minute, this man didn’t die because he wasn’t put on a stretcher 30 minutes earlier, he died because he decided to compete in a collision sport and he messed up his neck and became paralyzed. I highly doubt getting earlier attention would have unparalyzed him.
In boxing it’s quite common to leave knocked out fighters laying there without moving them, in fact the last thing you should do is move their neck at all, until they start coming to their senses.

yes I’m glad this horrible accident will bring more eyes and hopefully more regulation because the safety of the wrestlers is paramount. I just think people love blaming the NSK for every single thing that happens to the wrestlers as if they were being forced to compete. They chose to do this and they knew the dangers, this is why I believe sumo Is the toughest sport to compete in, in the whole world.

anyway, I may be completely off and maybe some doctor somewhere already assessed that if Hibikiryu had received earlier or different attention he would be alive today and if this is the case then forget what I said and fuck the NSK.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for Asanoyama but I think Teru will win.

Dark horse: Takayasu.

I'm rooting for Asanoyama but I think Teru will win.

Dark horse: Takayasu.

At least I hope Asa finally beats Teru even if Teru goes on to win the Basho.

We all know ishiura will go 15-0 though. Can’t stop those traps, dat ass, the henkas

I hate to be that guy but I have to be honest here. As much the NSK need to change a lot of their ways, blaming them for the death of the rikishi is not fair. This is the one time where even I am thinking. Wait a minute, this man didn’t die because he wasn’t put on a stretcher 30 minutes earlier, he died because he decided to compete in a collision sport and he messed up his neck and became paralyzed. I highly doubt getting earlier attention would have unparalyzed him.
In boxing it’s quite common to leave knocked out fighters laying there without moving them, in fact the last thing you should do is move their neck at all, until they start coming to their senses.

yes I’m glad this horrible accident will bring more eyes and hopefully more regulation because the safety of the wrestlers is paramount. I just think people love blaming the NSK for every single thing that happens to the wrestlers as if they were being forced to compete. They chose to do this and they knew the dangers, this is why I believe sumo
Is the toughest spot to compete in, in the whole world.

anyway, I may he completely off and maybe some doctor somewhere already assessed that if Hibikiryu had received earlier or different attention he would be alive today and if this is the case then forget what I said and fuck the NSK.
yeah, i agree with a lot of what you're saying. especially because Hibikiryu died of respiratory failure, i believe, and i don't know how much of a connection can be drawn between that and the spinal injury he suffered in the ring. i don't really know anything about spinal injuries or what kind of treatment they need when they happen. but i'm sure there are some injuries for which speed of treatment is important. i don't think the judges, yobidashi, or gyoji ringside know much more than i do, and i don't think they knew what kind of injury he had when it happened or whether attending to him immediately would have prevented or mitigated a major injury.

and i think that's the real problem, and why those involved should be ashamed and the system in place needs to be changed. if a similar situation happened in the future and it was an injury that required immediate treatment, i have no confidence that anything would be different and that vital treatment wouldn't be administered.

i definitely agree that just moving him around and whatever when he was lying there probably wouldn't have been the best thing, and a doctor even cited that as another issue (in this article).... that the officials who did eventually move Hibikiryu weren't trained and that when he was moved it should have been by qualified medical staff. but he should have had medical attention immediately (whatever that attention may be) and i'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for boxers who get KO'ed and left in the ring.

i guess the TLDR is: i don't know if having medical attention there immediately for Hibikiryu would have reduced his injury or saved his life, but it's unacceptable that he didn't have it.

what an intro. Thanks a lot for all the work Fork! Will you also write a little about Juryo?

Can Ura qualify for Makuuchi this basho? Any news of his injury he caught at the end of the last one?
yeah, actually upper Juryo will be one to keep an eye on for sure.

Enho
was so close to getting back to the top division, and i think with 10 wins it would have been really hard to deny him the move up. i think for him the worry is always that he's been "found out" and the big guys will punish him. that's less of a worry down in Juryo, but there are a lot of talented guys he'll be going up against, and that he competed against in March, so i think his last tournament was a pretty encouraging one for him. obviously Ura is another fan favorite down there, and i can't wait for them to go up against each other. his March tournament was also pretty great, and it was good to see him sit out a couple of days and pick up a lot of wins after returning. i'm also curious about how Yutakayama will do. i really expected big things from him at one point, but he's been struggling for a while now. i'd love to see him bounce back with a good confidence-building tournament in Juryo.

yeah, i agree with a lot of what you're saying. especially because Hibikiryu died of respiratory failure, i believe, and i don't know how much of a connection can be drawn between that and the spinal injury he suffered in the ring. i don't really know anything about spinal injuries or what kind of treatment they need when they happen. but i'm sure there are some injuries for which speed of treatment is important. i don't think the judges, yobidashi, or gyoji ringside know much more than i do, and i don't think they knew what kind of injury he had when it happened or whether attending to him immediately would have prevented or mitigated a major injury.

and i think that's the real problem, and why those involved should be ashamed and the system in place needs to be changed. if a similar situation happened in the future and it was an injury that required immediate treatment, i have no confidence that anything would be different and that vital treatment wouldn't be administered.

i definitely agree that just moving him around and whatever when he was lying there probably wouldn't have been the best thing, and a doctor even cited that as another issue (in this article).... that the officials who did eventually move Hibikiryu weren't trained and that when he was moved it should have been by qualified medical staff. but he should have had medical attention immediately (whatever that attention may be) and i'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for boxers who get KO'ed and left in the ring.

i guess the TLDR is: i don't know if having medical attention there immediately for Hibikiryu would have reduced his injury or saved his life, but it's unacceptable that he didn't have it.

no I definitely read the whole thing. And I agree because these things can get crazy. Remember how long it took for tomokaze to get a wheelchair?

Frankly I think it’s a freak accident because everybody figured he was just KO’d. Eventually you’ll be alright, concussed sure but you’ll be fine. And I’m guessing that’s the NSK “macho” mentality. “Toughen up, you’ll be fine” and I get that, it makes sumo such a harsh sport and it makes it appealing. But as you say, they need to be ready for when every blue moon there’s a guy who broke his frigging neck.

this whole thing reminded me of the Christopher Reeve accident. I was 14 at the time and I loved Superman. Still do. I’m still sad about him dying.

no I definitely read the whole thing. And I agree because these things can get crazy. Remember how long it took for tomokaze to get a wheelchair?

Frankly I think it’s a freak accident because everybody figured he was just KO’d. Eventually you’ll be alright, concussed sure but you’ll be fine. And I’m guessing that’s the NSK “macho” mentality. “Toughen up, you’ll be fine” and I get that, it makes sumo such a harsh sport and it makes it appealing. But as you say, they need to be ready for when every blue moon there’s a guy who broke his frigging neck.

this whole thing reminded me of the Christopher Reeve accident. I was 14 at the time and I loved Superman. Still do. I’m still sad about him dying.
yeah, the combination of genuinely beautiful and valuable tradition and sport can also make for really complicated situations and feelings. something like making the dohyo a flat surface just on the ground would pretty much objectively make the sport safer and reduce injuries for athletes, but i can't really see myself supporting that idea.

and yeah i think the sport being an expression of machismo and toughness is also valuable. hopefully, that can be maintained while having better ways of dealing with injuries, or without the hazing and abuse that was (and probably still is to an extent) common in stables. a sport like rugby is still able to maintain that image while introducing pretty robust head injury protocols.

frankly, it would be good to have someone nearby who could treat gyoji, judges, or even spectators as well.

nlUNMC5.jpg

Another sumo tournament has arrived! Unfortunately, this one will have a dark shadow cast over it, both with the first three days being held without spectators due to COVID fears, but far more importantly coming after the death of Hibikiryu (real name Amano Mitsuki). We've all talked about the need for the sport to change in many ways, but there has been a lot of negative press for the sport because of the shameful way his injury was handled which might actually lead to something happening. I wouldn't expect anything major though, unfortunately. It's been pretty eye-opening and I think even more than the other negative aspects of the sport (the nationalism and anti-foreigner sentiment, corruption, violence, long-term health effects) I think the complete lack of regard for Hibikiryu's safety and the inability for those in power to see him as a human being in distress has made me question my support for the sport. If I was in the position to, I definitely wouldn't support the sport and the NSK monetarily by buying tickets until something fundamental changed. But what can I say, I still love the sport....

f1H3Io4.jpg

And it's always great to have new people join the fun and start following the sport, but it's definitely not the easiest sport to understand when you first start watching. If you're new, feel free to head over to the Introduction to SUMO thread to get a basic, although probably outdated, introduction to the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

CuLYvsc.jpg

As always excellent post and summary! thanks boss!

Maybe I am overly sensitive but that looked like Teru being back to his old asshole persona.
Imo completely unnecesary to throw Meisei like that and big risk of serious injury from that position. He had won at this point. Thats the attitude why I disliked him back then.

i think for him the worry is always that he's been "found out" and the big guys will punish him. that's less of a worry down in Juryo,

Hm think I disagree. He had a great start in Juryo but I was shocked at the complete lack of gameplanning of his opponents. As the basho progressed that changed and had a huge impact on the fights. Imo he is at the same risk in Juryo because of his limited possibilites to start a fight and have a chance of winning. Its all about if his opponents gameplan. At best I see him one time visiting Makuuchi again but there is imo a bigger chance he wont make it even from J2. Think he will make make koshi this basho. Happy if I am proven wrong. He is an absolute warrior. Tremendous moxie to fight with such weight disadvantage

Last edited:
Good first day. Not too many surprises. The Ozeki looking good early which hopefully is a good sign

Back