SUMO - 2021 Natsu Basho (May 9th - May 23rd)

Juryo day 6:
Enho continuing is a bad idea but its the Sumo macho attitude I get it. Still he will not avoid make koshi and he may very well damage his arm beyond healing up for next basho. Ura moves like he is in constant pain as soon as he has to put pressure on his knees. I just hope he can get to Makuuchi at least one time.

Makuuchi: Asanoyama and Shodai continue on their path. I just dont see them change in the future. Its now been several basho without any progress.

Last edited:
Juryo day 6:
Enho continuing is a bad idea but its the Sumo macho attitude I get it. Still he will not avoid make koshi and he may very well damage his arm beyond healing up for next basho. Ura moves like he is in constant pain as soon as he has to put pressure on his knees. I just hope he can get to Makuuchi at least one time.

Makuuchi: Asanoyama and Shodai continue on their path. I just dont see them change in the future. Its now been several basho without any progress.
yeah, Shodai's match especially was incredibly weak. that's gotta be the worst performance i've ever seen from him. good match from Kiribayama against Asanoyama, but that's a bad loss for the Ozeki.

good match between Mitakeumi and Takayasu and i'm surprised it didn't go to a monoii and even a rematch. i think Mitakeumi looked good and aggressive, but again he lost balance at the end.

lower down, Ishiura is having a good first week and looking real strong.

The inconsistency of these Ozeki is really clear. Asanoyama and Shodai really struggle to stay strong throughout, Takakeisho determined to power through to the last day when I assume he'll face Teru to determine the winner again

Ozeki Asanoyama thrown by the mongolian was an embarassment. Kiribayama had a very deep controlling right grip that he used with raised right elbow to nullify asa's left front uwate.

The official call was uwatenage win for kiribayama (confirmed by former yokozuna commentator kitanofuji) but it looked to me what sent asanoyama to the dohyo actually was rather shitatehineri than uwatenage although both added force to make the throw happen. I'm 95% sure of it.

Baby faced assassin takanosho demonstrated bad footwork for 2 days straight. He might have to train with tobizaru to improve walks.

not too much to say for day 7. surprising belt-work from Tamawashi to make Tsurugisho faceplant.

good day for the Ozeki as well, for whatever that's worth.

good day for the Ozeki as well, for whatever that's worth.

aaaand back to square one at day 8 for Shodai and Asa :D
With Asanoyama you could hear the reporters huge dissapointment. He was shocked.

I am looking forward to Ura at Makuuchi next basho. He has secured that spot. I do hope he can stay there for several basho.

Man Wakatakakage looks better every day. I look forward to seeing him move up the rankings

Shodai and Asanoyama really need to get their shit together, these dudes bout to lose the race to Yokozuna to a guy who was just at Jonidan (No disrepect to Teru but that's a hell of a fall)

I really think Terunofuji is gonna take this one again. Possibly with a 14-1 but 15-0 looks like a real possibility

man that was such a sick uchigake. really a great match from Hoshoryu all around, his tachiai was really nice as well. but it's another disappointing loss for Asanoyama.

Shodai left himself too upright at the tachiai and just got blasted by Mitakeumi.

and a nice win for Ura as he visits the top division.

What do you guys think about Hoshoryus potential?
i think he has a lot of potential. he always strikes me as a guy who is already competing at a high level, but who also has a lot of room and time for improvement and development. even just physically i think he'll get a bit bigger, but significantly stronger. i think that'll open up a lot more options for him.

Been following and loving Ura's performance. Actually for the first time, probably ever, im watching more juryo than makuuchi

Have to say, I really think Terunofuji is not fighting like an Ozeki this Basho. He's fighting like a Yokozuna.

I think his biggest threat in week 2 is a possible match up with Ohnosho who just really has Terunofuji's number

it's a dark day. mbovo's twitch channel got taken down, so that's it for full English broadcasts for now at least.

it's a dark day. mbovo's twitch channel got taken down, so that's it for full English broadcasts for now at least.
Is it weird that I prefer Japanese broadcast despite speaking zero Japanese? I'm the same way when I watch New Japan Pro Wrestling, I never choose the English broadcast

close call from Terunofuji, but it's also good to see him win this kind of match where he has to use a lot of movement and stay up in some pretty tough positions.

and Hoshoryu going outside this time for the sotogake against Shodai. again, the Ozeki should be putting up more of a fight, but Hoshoryu is also doing really well.

Is it weird that I prefer Japanese broadcast despite speaking zero Japanese? I'm the same way when I watch New Japan Pro Wrestling, I never choose the English broadcast
definitely not, that makes sense. i love the English broadcast and having the English broadcasters talk through things helped me understand the sport a lot better when i started watching (and still helps me learn things) but i can absolutely understand preferring the Japanese broadcast.

close call from Terunofuji, but it's also good to see him win this kind of match where he has to use a lot of movement and stay up in some pretty tough positions.

and Hoshoryu going outside this time for the sotogake against Shodai. again, the Ozeki should be putting up more of a fight, but Hoshoryu is also doing really well.

I feel like Shodai and Asanoyama are just accepting off the loss. They have an attitude of oh well this is happening now I guess. Takakeisho has been aggressive most of the basho which he definitely needs but still doesn't seem to have a back up ready in case he's in trouble. If these guys want that promotion they really have to learn a plan B and Plan C

Back