Super Setting everything for a beginner?

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
First of all to define beginners. There are novices - newbies which need approximately a 6 months to an year in a good plan of lifting.
Next level is beginners. It is where I would play myself at. That is up to 2-3 years of lifting. And if your goal is not competing, but training for general strength, health, looks and longevity.

What I am thinking:
- shorter rest periods if for example I do Set A1 + Set A2 - 90 sec rest - creates intensity in the work out and stimulates it in a cardio vascular way as well
- prevents rushing out with the weights - for example if you have to do front squat + rdls for 4 sets you will be careful with how much weight you will put, thus lower rate of injuries. I am thinking even on adapting a double progression - need to hit a weight twice before moving to the new weight.
- shorter time in the gym - I actually love this
- less slacking - I have noticed when I am doing long rest period to give my body time to rest the training becomes a bore fest, but when I do super sets I am up and ready for the work out and fully concentrated on the lifts

What do you guys think?
I am thinking upper lower split - 3 or 4 times per week. Supper setting push + pull for upper body and quads with hams/glutes for lower.

Does it sound like a plan?

Brian Alsruhe does and programs all his training as a antagonistic movement-main movement-core exercise super set and it seems to be working well for him, it's a good option but not something I'd always want to do, the short rest hinders my training at least.
And if you need to limit your weights by supersetting everything in order not to get hurt while lifting, you should rethink your approach to training on a more radical level.

Brian Alsruhe does and programs all his training as a antagonistic movement-main movement-core exercise super set and it seems to be working well for him, it's a good option but not something I'd always want to do, the short rest hinders my training at least.
And if you need to limit your weights by supersetting everything in order not to get hurt while lifting, you should rethink your approach to training on a more radical level.
Drug freak isn’t a beginner though

Well rethinking my approach right now. For some reason once or twice per year I injure one of my shoulders or wrists. Currently I am almost pain free. Luckily no lower body injuries yet, but shoulders and wrist are both fucked.

True, but he's programming that way for beginners. Also, is there anything I missed, drug-wise?
He’s clearly on PEDs so he can take more liberties training that way. Didn’t know he programmed that for beginners. Makes me respect him less.

Assuming your goals are strength-oriented, and are a true novice, they are superfluous at least, and at worst,could stunt progress. IMO, if you're a novice, your focus should be on the main movements, straight sets, moderate rest intervals. Boring, but effective seems to be what most time-tested beginner routine are built around.

Supersetting a few assistance movements likely wouldn't hurt, but probably won't yield anything significant either.

Assuming your goals are strength-oriented, and are a true novice, they are superfluous at least, and at worst,could stunt progress. IMO, if you're a novice, your focus should be on the main movements, straight sets, moderate rest intervals. Boring, but effective seems to be what most time-tested beginner routine are built around.

Supersetting a few assistance movements likely wouldn't hurt, but probably won't yield anything significant either.
I already mentioned I am not a novice, but a beginner with at least 1 year of lifting. Goals also were mentioned to be general health mainly.

I already mentioned I am not a novice, but a beginner with at least 1 year of lifting. Goals also were mentioned to be general health mainly.

Oh, then yeah. Might as well do it if it interests you.

I personally do to save time. Like while doing bench press and do calves inbetween sets, as long as its completely different muscles so I'm not fucking with the big boy lifts.

for general health and looks, it is not that important how you work out. basics like progressive overload still apply, though. you have to watch your calories if you want a change in appearance.

a lot of the street workout guys do something called "around the world": pull ups, dips, push ups all in one set and then rest. 10 sets/rounds or more. add some body rows and the upper body is complete.
of course you can also do this with weights if your form is alright. don't do some crazy crossfit stuff like deadlifts for time or something.

i really enjoy ladder and pyramid sets. my last workout was 2 chin ups - 4 push ups, 4 chin ups - 8 push ups, 6 chins - 12 push ups, up until 10 chins - 20 push ups and then you reverse and decrease the reps again. little to no rest between sets. and sometimes i just do 3 sets until failure and go home.

sometimes i do edt workouts where i put a timer to 10 or 20 minutes and just do a set when i feel ready again. you also can do this antagonistic.

for years now i train one set push and then one set pull. i can't split. just doesn't feel good for me.

my joints are shit so i ditched the weights years ago and just do overhead pressing sometimes but you can do all the above routines with weights. like you, i get bored between sets if i have to wait 3 minutes so i mostly do this endurance crap. feels good to me.

do cardio in nature and watch your foods if you are after heatlh.

Back