Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Free on YouTube. Focuses on the major producers of chicken like Tyson, but also exposes a lot of what's wrong with the fast food industry in general.

Original documentary by Morgan Spurlock:

After watching Fat Head and the scrutiny exposing the BS in his first documentary it's kind of hard for me to take anything he does seriously.

Long documentary and the presenter is a smarmy turd but he breaks things pretty well. Haven't watched it in a long time so I might not be remembering the facts presented in it very well

https://www.consumerfreedom.com/2018/05/is-super-size-me-a-big-fat-lie/

At the time of filming Morgan was still a full blown alcoholic(actually lying to the doctor during his initial check up) so that more than explains his "mysterious liver damage" at the end of Super Size Me. Add in the fact that he's refused to release an official food log/calorie count of everything he ate during his experiment and things begin to get pretty damn sus. Honestly, the booze was probably the biggest factor impacting his health.

Long documentary and the presenter is a smarmy turd but he breaks things pretty well. Haven't watched it in a long time so I might not be remembering the facts presented in it very well

At the time of filming Morgan was still a full blown alcoholic(actually lying to the doctor during his initial check up) so that more than explains his "mysterious liver damage" at the end of Super Size Me. Add in the fact that he's refused to release an official food log/calorie count of everything he ate during his experiment and things begin to get pretty damn sus. Honestly, the booze was probably the biggest factor impacting his health.

Too bad he compromised his credibility. I think some of the points being made about problems in the industries were still valid but I'll definitely give this one a look over also.

Too bad he compromised his credibility. I think some of the points being made about problems in the industries were still valid but I'll definitely give this one a look over also.

For sure there's still good content in Super Size Me, it's not bad per say. I think it would have been much better if he didn't willfully omit some of the most important info in order to push a more sensational narrative. I hate to say it but I think a lot of my problem with the documentary is manifested in my own bias regarding Morgan as a person.

LEAVE MY CHICKEN ALONE!

This thread is clearly fried chicken-phobic and does not have tolerance for my 2nd religion

NgbRvh.md.png

LEAVE MY CHICKEN ALONE!

This thread is clearly fried chicken-phobic and does not have tolerance for my 2nd religion

NgbRvh.md.png
I love chicken too. I just don't want to eat sick chickens crammed into a warehouse where the goal is to produce maximum weight in a given space. They grow so fast that they have heart attacks and dislocate their hips because they're so overweight.

Which would you prefer?

Chickens-Chicken_Guide-A_trio_of_healthy_chickens_roaming_the_garden.jpg

or

658129f87cc829b4fa3bb9a14f7b6133.jpg

I presume like the egg industry that all the Male chicks just get gassed, buried alive or dashed into a grinder?

I presume like the egg industry that all the Male chicks just get gassed, buried alive or dashed into a grinder?
No, they're actually more desirable for meat because they grow larger than the hens.

No, they're actually more desirable for meat because they grow larger than the hens.
I thought Roosters were a pain in the ass to look after though?like super aggressive with each other... Isn't that meat called Capon?

I thought Roosters were a pain in the ass to look after though?like super aggressive with each other... Isn't that meat called Capon?

Capons are gelded males. Usually not as aggressive or shitty towards one another when you castrate them.

Capons are gelded males. Usually not as aggressive or shitty towards one another when you castrate them.
But they would be sold as a different product in supermarkets right? Not mixed in with the Females or..?

Are KFC selling Capon Zinger Burgers?

I'm new to chickens. I just started caring for them a few months ago, but the general rule is about 10 hens per rooster or they'll beat up the hens from humping them too much and they'll fight each other for breeding rights.

That's with 'normal' chickens though. I think the big operations for Tyson raise cornish cross which have been bred to grow as fast as possible and the feed used serves that purpose as well. I had 4 cornish cross chicks in my chicken run and none of them survived in spite of always having access to feed, water, and shelter. They're not a very hardy bird and are not good at foraging for themselves like other breeds. They pretty much just like to eat and sit around and put on weight which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the conditions the big operations have the birds in is still not very healthy because there are so many crammed together in the space.

I will try again with the cornish cross for meat but next time will raise them separately from the others and do more homework. It's my fault that they didn't survive. My dog broke into the coop once and might have eaten one. She's a total beast that rips through welded wire but I've since reinforced it.

So anyway, these birds grow super fast and are slaughtered at 6 weeks when they reach optimal weight before they're really sexually mature so fighting over sex with the hens isn't really an issue.

This is my understanding of it. I could be wrong about a fact or two but that's generally the gist of it. I have about 30-40 birds right now, lots of different breeds so I can learn about the traits of each kind, and they have access to a lot of grass as well as a compost pile.

I've taken a lot of inspiration for my set up from this guy. He only has hens, no roosters, but it's still a great environment for them either way. My chickens like to dig through the compost for worms which helps to break it down more quickly, turning it into useable soil. I figure it also gives them exercise and a broader nutritional profile than just eating layer feed all the time.

Kind of went off on a tangent there. I love observing them. Chicken tv all day.

Edit: I didn't know that they were castrated so there's the answer from @wufabufa

Last edited:
But they would be sold as a different product in supermarkets right? Not mixed in with the Females or..?

Are KFC selling Capon Zinger Burgers?

Yeah I guess so if males in general are kept away from regular hens that are being grown. Hard to imagine a Capon would be able to sneak into a meat packing plant. I think you'd have to go to a butcher or an actual farm to get Capon.....maybe some kind of international grocery store that carries specialty items. I know you can get Capon in France and Spain pretty regularly but over here in the States I'd wager that it's relatively unknown.

You used to be able to buy Capon in the UK, my Dad used to get one at Christmas instead of a turkey as they're typically "better" (more tender etc.). I believe it's now illegal to raise them in the UK as the necessary castration has been deemed inhumane.

So eating McDonald’s for three meals a day for a month is fine??? Nooooiccce!!!

I hate that guy. I was in college when that stupid movie came out. McDonald's got rid of the super-size option in response to that garbage film. The lack of the super-size option destroyed my eating options for late night student center study.

Back