Law Supreme Court Justice Ruth Ginsburg Falls, Breaks Three Ribs, Hospitalized| UPDATE: Malignant Tumor

Ya as long as she draws breath and Trump is in power, you can count on her not giving up that seat. You may even get some weekend at Bernies type stuff if she passes to buy more time.

Serious question for anyone who may be able to answer.

At what point heading into the next election would it be too late for the Republicans to try and race another Supreme Court Justice through? When do they no longer have enough time?
Hours, Cocaine Mitch is the scumbaggiest operator in the history of insider political games...he'd suspend the constitution if he could.

Ya as long as she draws breath and Trump is in power, you can count on her not giving up that seat. You may even get some weekend at Bernies type stuff if she passes to buy more time.

At what point heading into the next election would it be too late for the Republicans to try and race another Supreme Court Justice through? When do they no longer have enough time?

Not sure. 60 days out? 30? I just mean procedural time. If they can ram it through, then no time at all, I guess.
<Fedor23>
But to answer your question, I just don't know if there is some kind of window that would be too small.

my uncle swears he saw her at a gas station in Mackinac.

Hours, Cocaine Mitch is the scumbaggiest operator in the history of insider political games...he'd suspend the constitution if he could.

Not sure. 60 days out? 30? I just mean procedural time. If they can ram it through, then no time at all, I guess.
<Fedor23>
But to answer your question, I just don't know if there is some kind of window that would be too small.

No there is a certain amount of time they have to give to call the Senate to Order. The minority party can filibuster and eventually be over ridden but there is required time there.

I don't know if it all adds up to days, weeks or months, but I am just curious.

I am sure the Repub's have a nominee ready and at the blocks ready to sprint should she bow out.

No there is a certain amount of time they have to give to call the Senate to Order. The minority party can filibuster and eventually be over ridden but there is required time there.

I am sure the Repub's have a nominee ready and at the blocks ready to sprint should she bow out.

It's Amy Barrett, but I don't really know how quickly they could do it and hit all the marks.

Yes, but Ginsberg also is alot better of a person than Koch was.

Or those that disagree with RBG are better people than those that hate the Kochs

Honestly, I disagree with both of them

Of course. I could disagree with every position she had but her life story is incredible.

Also I want to point out your post is testament to the respect you deserve as a poster. Despite how often you drive me up the wall lol.

Why thank you sir. You are making me blush

Or those that disagree with RBG are better people than those that hate the Kochs

Honestly, I disagree with both of them

I suppose you could make that argument.

You can disagree with Ginsberg. It's not a disagreeing thing with Koch. He just polluted a whole lot. It's not something you agree or disagree with.

Lol...cause Mitch has clearly shown he's gives a flying shit about the "rules". He'll just temporarily suspend the filibuster.

I totally disagree with most of her views, not all but most.

That said I wish her a recovery or that least pain free for what she has left.

I would like to see her step down and enjoy what see has left but it may be she lives to work and that’s what keeps her going.

Lol...cause Mitch has clearly shown he's gives a flying shit about the "rules". He'll just temporarily suspend the filibuster.
Mitch is a principled guy who believes in fair play and that is why good ole Mitch is apparently worried about the Dems and shoring up minority party rights and strengthening the filibuster.

<36>

Ok, oik, the reports are Repub's are worried about the economy and a recession or serious drop off before the next election with the Repub's also losing control of the Senate and becoming the minority party again and he wants to make sure that the minority party can rule from rule from behind again.

Mitch McConnell is calling on Democrats to keep the filibuster. He ignores just how much he’s done to blow up Senate rules.

But the cat came back
The very next day
The cat came back
We thought she was a goner

Nobody has to think she’s great. The left loves her because her view of judicial review is “whatever is politically progressive”. It’s transparent. She even said she is ok with foreign liberal judges being able to pass a judgement that America must abide by. That way liberalism is still appeased, and that’s what matters, not American sovereignty.

Red blooded Americans everywhere lost their shit. And justly so. No American judge should ever say that America’s citizens, living in America, are subject to foreign judges rulings. It’s unamerican, but many people like Ginsburg don’t give a shit about that.

https://www.fastcase.com/blog/justice-ginsburg-defends-using-foreign-courts-as-persuasive-authority/

Yep, she sucks ass. Hopefully she retires soon. :)

Wow. Another nomination for Trump. I guess elections really do have consequences...

Man, she's gone toe to toe with the Grim Reaper and kicked its ass like 3 times now. Impressive

Wasn't the issue already decided by SCOTUS over a hundred years ago? :

"To hold that the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution excludes from citizenship the children, born in the United States, of citizens or subjects of other countries would be to deny citizenship to thousands of persons of English, Scotch, Irish, German, or other European parentage who have always been considered and treated as citizens of the United States." - Justice Horace Gray (United States v. Wong Kim Ark)

Besides the precedent I find it extremely unlikely that it would even be a 5-4 decision. 9-0 seems a lot more likely. It was 6-2 in 1898 in the case above. There's no way someone like Roberts is going to vote against birthright citizenship when the 14th amendment so clearly says "All persons born...in the United States...". Even a judge who's quite conservative like Scalia or Alito wouldn't rule to invalidate birthright citizenship, they would say you need to amend the constitution if you want that to happen.

No

I think McConnell has made it clear that he'd push one through in the lame duck session - so probably mid Nov.

Back