Switching Stance on a cross/overhand?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I wasn’t a fan of this when starting out as I think it takes the power out of the cross and leaves you out of position.

Nevertheless I’ve noticed it being used at high level recently (these aren’t recents bout but I noticed them recently on a personal level).

Here it is used by Marquez to double up a cross which effectively becomes a southpaw jab, you can see it in slow mo at 3:14;

It is also used by Kelley who switches stance on an overhand left;

What are your thoughts on this move?

In a mixed martial arts context I like it because it allows me to initiate the clinch. After using the overhand right as a counter punch, I shift into a south paw stance which usually puts me so close to my opponent I can snatch up a body lock. A wrestler from Penn State showed it to me as a teenager lol.

For boxing I think throwing the overhand, shifting stances and initiating a clinch could be a good tactic in order to stifle your opponents returns fire as well IMO.

In a mixed martial arts context I like it because it allows me to initiate the clinch. After using the overhand right as a counter punch, I shift into a south paw stance which usually puts me so close to my opponent I can snatch up a body lock. A wrestler from Penn State showed it to me as a teenager lol.

For boxing I think throwing the overhand, shifting stances and initiating a clinch could be a good tactic in order to stifle your opponents returns fire as well IMO.
they call it falling into the clinch in boxing and it's not well liked. it is a highly effective tactic to stall out a strong puncher (horn did it to pacman) but it often results in head clashes and is seen as a dirty tactic.

they call it falling into the clinch in boxing and it's not well liked. it is a highly effective tactic to stall out a strong puncher (horn did it to pacman) but it often results in head clashes and is seen as a dirty tactic.

in mma you can level change to avoid butting heads, long as you dont run into a knee. dan hooker sorta switched stance to ko Vick

QuarrelsomeGiftedBlacklab-size_restricted.gif

Petr Yan does it a lot. He dropped Jimmie Rivera in his last fight using the switch off the right hand.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I started using it in sparring when i I was training in NYC in 2017, works good my instructor told me it was good it confuses your opponent but he also said make sure you have a plan after meaning follow up on the strike or move or just clinch.

As a southpaw, I love the technique. Working the jab, a lot of guys will lean back to their right side. Gets them away from the jab, they can get outside of the left cross and (in theory) are out of range from the left hook. Let this be their safe space. Condition it into them. Then just switch stance bringing your left foot forward as you throw the left hook. That extra step closes the distance and the hook lands flush. Do it all the time. You are then effectively in an orthodox stance unless you choose to bring that left foot back again. I usually double/triple up on the jab with my left hand on my way out to create distance before switching back.

Like others, I've used it to disguise how I'm closing the distance to get into a clinching range. I used it with overhands and with elbows.

I think some of those Tyson videos explain how he used something similar to get outside of his opponents and catch them off guard with follow up uppercuts. But I might be misremembering.

I used to do it a lot but a coach I had told me not to, maybe I was being too wild with it?

anywho, I started using it again after seeing one of my students use it very effectively - great way to change up the stance.

Last edited:
dan henderson used this to set up takedowns

Back