Taking a break from BJJ

Your Noodly Master

Selfish and shitty attitude
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm 45, brown belt with six years of training. A lifetime of sports have left me with some nagging issues in my back and knees. I'm considering taking 6 months or so off to allow my body to heal. In that time I'll stick to low impact exercise like swimming and biking.

My questions are to any others who, after several years of training, have taken a leave of absence. Did you return to training? Did the time away help you? Did you notice any drop off in ability?

IMy questions are to any others who, after several years of training, have taken a leave of absence. Did you return to training? Did the time away help you? Did you notice any drop off in ability?

I've had several multi-year layoffs due to injury, surgery, and rehab. At least for me, the time away didn't hurt me much beyond my conditioning and timing. The technical knowledge and instincts won't degrade appreciably. I was on par with my previous performance in rolling in about 4-8 weeks of regular training, and this was after having major surgery on my knees and hips and having significant muscle and coordination atrophy. If you're doing this voluntarily you'll be fine.

Getting to brown belt in 6 years at that age is really awesome.

I took a long break (basically a year) off at brown belt too and I'm about 10 years younger than you are but it didn't have too big an effect on me. I had to get my cardio back but besides that I honestly felt a little bit sharper when I returned. I've heard people say extended layoffs are bad and for lower belts I could see it being more of an issue. But some time away made my body feel better when I came back, and I was sort of a clean slate and was able to roll without too much in my head or any expectations. It was a very comfortable return.

If I didn't take the leave of absence I might have quit. I was fatigued mentally and physically and just needed to put energy into other parts of life. I decided that if I was going to not quit I had to embrace that I needed to totally step away for a little bit.

One of the best decisions I ever made. I never stopped loving BJJ and I always will. I train a little less now than I used to. I used to get 3-5x per week and now it's more like 1-3x per week. But again I haven't noticed a big decline anywhere except maybe cardio if I only got one session the previous week or if I'm rolling with a lot of guys in their early 20's consecutively.

Good luck! I think you're making a smart decision.

One of the hard parts about coming back are a long time off is tied to you're ego - while you're away, everyone else is working hard. You come back and the guys you would submit easily are now giving you a hard time, and the guys that gave you an even roll are now tapping you out regularly - for some people it can be the real hurdle to they need to climb.

I've found that taking small amount of time off can be beneficial - it really shows you what you know / have committed to muscle memory - while all those half-learned techniques are forgotten.

One of the hard parts about coming back are a long time off is tied to you're ego - while you're away, everyone else is working hard. You come back and the guys you would submit easily are now giving you a hard time, and the guys that gave you an even roll are now tapping you out regularly - for some people it can be the real hurdle to they need to climb.

I've found that taking small amount of time off can be beneficial - it really shows you what you know / have committed to muscle memory - while all those half-learned techniques are forgotten.
I leave my ego at the door, but I know many people who don't come back for that very reason. If people catch up that will make me work harder in my return. I know younger guys will be catching up anyway .

You come back and the guys you would submit easily are now giving you a hard time, and the guys that gave you an even roll are now tapping you out regularly

This is important. You do have to expect to recalibrate who is in your peer group. At this point, there are people who started after I was a purple belt who are now competitive black belts (I'm brown). This is just life, though.

Getting to brown belt in 6 years at that age is really awesome.

I took a long break (basically a year) off at brown belt too and I'm about 10 years younger than you are but it didn't have too big an effect on me. I had to get my cardio back but besides that I honestly felt a little bit sharper when I returned. I've heard people say extended layoffs are bad and for lower belts I could see it being more of an issue. But some time away made my body feel better when I came back, and I was sort of a clean slate and was able to roll without too much in my head or any expectations. It was a very comfortable return.

If I didn't take the leave of absence I might have quit. I was fatigued mentally and physically and just needed to put energy into other parts of life. I decided that if I was going to not quit I had to embrace that I needed to totally step away for a little bit.

One of the best decisions I ever made. I never stopped loving BJJ and I always will. I train a little less now than I used to. I used to get 3-5x per week and now it's more like 1-3x per week. But again I haven't noticed a big decline anywhere except maybe cardio if I only got one session the previous week or if I'm rolling with a lot of guys in their early 20's consecutively.

Good luck! I think you're making a smart decision.
Mentally I feel good after returning from injuries that keep me out a month, so I can imagine 6 months would be even better. I also have the cardio issues upon my return, but that's likely due to weight gain during inactivity.

6 months isn't that long. The ego stuff is a consideration I guess, but in 6 months, guys will be kinda better, and you will be able to catch back up. 6 months for a newcomer is huge, the progress made is a quantum leap. 6 months to a purple belt guy, it's not that much.

What I'm saying is, in 6 months, you're still going to be the guy you are now, just a little slower on the uptake and winded faster. But that will come back pretty quickly. And if your body heals up, you are going to notice the change.

I've taken anywhere from 2 to 5 months off here and there. Most recently I took off two months of rolling because of rib injuries. I'm a 43 year old brown belt, so we are similar. The months were worth it and I'm having better rolls than if I hadn't done it.

so basically you just got your brown belt so might as well take a break, weren't doing drilling anyways so no biggie

Do you at least do positional sparring? I love drilling and rolling through same.
Yes. I like position sparring drills. I had another thread on my boredom with drilling technique. Let's just say there were some varying opinions.

I've had two major breaks from training: one from a knee injury and the second after a stomach surgery.
I came back feeling great body wise. The time away helps tremendously. I came back feeling like I had a new body and a fresh mind.

The drop off in ability was hard to gauge because my entire focus after returning was not aggravating whatever injury I had. I would willingly give up position or tap to things if there was any risk of reinjuring my knee or stomach. I was also so happy to be back that I don't care that people are beating me.

Currently, I've brought my training from 5+ a week to 1-3 days a week due to toe injuries. I've been doing yoga, visiting friends, and lifting weights. It's been awesome. I'm also in the home stretch for black belt so I think I'm having the equivalent of senioritis in high school.

I'm 45, brown belt with six years of training. A lifetime of sports have left me with some nagging issues in my back and knees. I'm considering taking 6 months or so off to allow my body to heal. In that time I'll stick to low impact exercise like swimming and biking.

My questions are to any others who, after several years of training, have taken a leave of absence. Did you return to training? Did the time away help you? Did you notice any drop off in ability?

Do you have any concerns you won't go back to training after the break? Do you think you might find life more enjoyable with your new routine?

Do you have any concerns you won't go back to training after the break? Do you think you might find life more enjoyable with your new routine?
Mildly concerned that I might stay away. I no longer do other sports (basketball,softball) that I used to enjoy prior to BJJ. The same could happen here if I find something else I enjoy, but I doubt it. If I don't go back then I guess I didn't love it as much as I thought in did.
I'm only training 1-2x/week now and I don't have the itch to go more. I think I'm just a little burned out. Training until April and then taking the summer off is my plan.

I mean, not to be a debbie downer, but if he found other things that made him happier than jiu jitsu, and/or realized he was only staying in jits as a habit and subconsciously hated it...isn't it a good thing not to return?

This is exactly why I’m afraid to take an extended break. It would also be nice to save over $200 a month.

A training partner of mine who is 50 years old and a black belt recently told me he would not be training today had he not taken off about 6 months off in his mid 40s when his injuries were causing him severe problems. He did PT and let his body rest. Then he was able to come back and train with significantly less pain.

I’m not sure if his ability suffered. He’s just happy he’s still able to get out there and train.

I think taking the summer off might be a good way to start your break. Maybe it is just being a little burned out and getting some time away will be good. Hopefully your body will be in better shape by then too injury wise.

Back