International Taliban parade with US equipment

Don't care hope they blow themselves up with it.

I wonder if Biden did take all of this shit if Americans would be bitching about how Biden left nothing for the Afghan army to protect themselves and how their blood is on his hands, how he is killing children etc etc. I think it doesn't matter what Biden did, people were gonna complain about him anyway.

I don't care either way as long as we are gone Teh Fuc outta there. Take it all ,don't , whatever...

I'm curious as to how long all of that will last. I'm assuming the Taliban doesn't have the means to provide the upkeep and repairs for all that equipment.
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if some alleged "Taliban" were educated in Heli Mec or any type western machinery and equipment.

this is so weird, I had friends who got inlisted fresh out of school in 2000s and this frustrating to a degree to see their sac was for nothing to a point.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if some alleged "Taliban" were educated in Heli Mec or any type western machinery and equipment.

this is so weird, I had friends who got inlisted fresh out of school in 2000s and this frustrating to a degree to see their sac was for nothing to a point.

Oh I'm sure some are. We trained the Afghan "military" but considering how they laid down for the Taliban I'm sure most of them are now working for their new government. I guess it just depends on how many spare parts and all the "stuff" to keep up all these vehicles were left behind with them.

Oh I'm sure some are. We trained the Afghan "military" but considering how they laid down for the Taliban I'm sure most of them are now working for their new government. I guess it just depends on how many spare parts and all the "stuff" to keep up all these vehicles were left behind with them.

One of the problems the Afghan army had was the same as the problems America's European and Australian allies have. That is to say that none of them have developed stand-alone military capability. All the "good guys" basically just build supplementary militaries that are intended to work as a part of a joint force with America - which is a part of the reason why most of America's allies are militarily useless. If America leaves the battlefield, all of her friends are forced to leave too.

The Afghans had the additional problem of being poorly paid by their conquerors, and then being completely abandoned by those same conquerors without warning in the middle of the conflict.

The Americans didn't just leave. They made a point of leaving in the most detrimental way possible. The Afghans would have been insane to continue fighting.

One of the problems the Afghan army had was the same as the problems America's European and Australian allies have. That is to say that none of them have developed stand-alone military capability. All the "good guys" basically just build supplementary militaries that are intended to work as a part of a joint force with America - which is a part of the reason why most of America's allies are militarily useless. If America leaves the battlefield, all of her friends are forced to leave too.

The Afghans had the additional problem of being poorly paid by their conquerors, and then being completely abandoned by those same conquerors without warning in the middle of the conflict.

The Americans didn't just leave. They made a point of leaving in the most detrimental way possible. The Afghans would have been insane to continue fighting.

I agree with most of what you said. But I don't think we just up and abandoned the Afghan military. The US has been drawing down troops for years and training them to take over once that draw down was complete. The "middle of the conflict" may be true if we planned on staying there forever, but Americans don't want that, and for good reason.

If the Afghan military wanted to continue fighting the Taliban they could have, but I don't think the majority of them did. It follows the long standing pattern of the US installing governments in countries that didn't want them and having it massively backfire.

I agree with most of what you said. But I don't think we just up and abandoned the Afghan military. The US has been drawing down troops for years and training them to take over once that draw down was complete. The "middle of the conflict" may be true if we planned on staying there forever, but Americans don't want that, and for good reason.

If the Afghan military wanted to continue fighting the Taliban they could have, but I don't think the majority of them did. It follows the long standing pattern of the US installing governments in countries that didn't want them and having it massively backfire.

I agree largely. Like most, I think getting out was the right thing for Americans to do.
What I mean by abandoning them in the middle of the conflict is that, while the Afghans must have known that the end was coming soon, the actual manner of the withdrawal left them and everyone else completely flat-footed.

Afghans were arriving at empty bases without having been warned that they were going to be empty that morning - thus looting took hold without them having the forewarning to do anything about it. Likewise, Afghan commanders were calling for air support, unaware that it had been withdrawn basically overnight, so they often didn't have time to make tactical adjustments to their new reality.
The Americans also scrapped the deal made with the Taliban in the first place, and completely gave what leverage over the Taliban that deal gave them.

I'm not saying the Afghans covered themselves in glory, but the US' abandonment of the Doha Agreement, and the frankly disgusting and fumble-fucked manner of their withdrawal basically necessitated and made inevitable a rapid Afghan surrender.

Shameful defeat. A powerful force invaded a 4th world country and fail to achieve an objective for 20 years! Ended up leaving with its tail tucked and left their war machines behind.

Shameful defeat. A powerful force invaded a 4th world country and fail to achieve an objective for 20 years! Ended up leaving with its tail tucked and left their war machines behind.

It's called the "Graveyard of Empires" for a reason.

Back