Thai Pad vs Kick Shield

MMA Forever

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Im looking to buy one of these for training kicks. which one is better overall and what do you recommend?

Shield for lowkicks, Thai pads for middle and high kicks. I would go with the thai pads if i had to only choose one because you can also punch, knee, and elbow thai pads

golden glory used a lot kick shield you can see youtube video they did dutch partners drills,kick shield,heavy bag,sparring. coach only used thai pad mostly.

A kick shield is a lot more versatile than people realize. belly pad, focus mitt and kick shield together is one of my favorite pad sets

Good to know. Have any recommendations for a kick shield under $80?

In my gym one of our trainers is using kicking shields for Muay Thai and he puts them to real testing. Most of them break or fall apart after 2 months. There are just 2 that hold up well.

Reyes Round Shield - 160$
https://www.cletoreyesboxing.com/product/training/cleto-reyes-punch-round-cushion-leather/
Very robust despite the surface leather showing cracks. Using this one for 7 years. Maybe a bit heavy. I guess it is made for punching in mind, but it withstands kicks very well.

Fighter Kicking Shield - 60$
https://www.fighters-inc.com/collections/large-mitts/products/fighter-kicking-shield-multi-grip-1086
This we use for 3 years and it still is in good condition. It has grips on all sides which makes is usable in many positions. It is rather light for its size and the padding is showing now fatigue. Did not like the Vinyl surface at first, but it does well. Minimal tear and wear and easy to clean while we were following hygiene protocols when reopening after covid lockdown.

I know this is a slight necro, but I didn't want to crap up the forum with more advice threads.

Does anyone have any kick shields or thai pads that they highly recommend?

I've been looking at Boon pads, but some old forum posts are saying that they have durability issues.

I know this is a slight necro, but I didn't want to crap up the forum with more advice threads.

Does anyone have any kick shields or thai pads that they highly recommend?

I've been looking at Boon pads, but some old forum posts are saying that they have durability issues.
Fairtex is the best for both Thai Pads and Kick Shields in my experience.

A few posts above this I linked to a review I did for a newer kick shield from Fairtex that is being criminally slept on.

Im looking to buy one of these for training kicks. which one is better overall and what do you recommend?

They are different products altogether. Below are some key differences-
- Kick shields are usually bigger in size and used for protection for powerful lower kicks. Like the kicks on thighs or upto abs.

- For kicks higher than that you need Muay Thai Pads. They are used for the ease of use and smaller size as compared to kick shields.

I find Thai pads better because you can hold Thai pads in different ways. See below a video on holding a Thai pad for low kicks. However, I would not recommend taking full power low kicks(Thighs & Abs) with Muay Thai pads. Someone who has very good experience in holding pads may do so easily though.

Last edited:
I prefer kick shields. A little tip, sites like these with a foam cut to size service are great for changing out the padding when the foam wears out. It's cheaper than buying a whole new pad and the quality of the foam is generally better and longer-lasting than what you get as standard. At least in my experience.

Back