The 2020 Heavies Awards - Breakout Fighter of the Year - WINNER: Kevin Holland!

Who is the Breakout Fighter of 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
The Heavies Awards
-2020-
Breakout Fighter of the Year

Who's ready to break out? Several of these fighters did just that in 2020, either by making a big splash in their UFC debuts or by notching some big wins over top names to move up the rankings.

In a field chock full of UFC newcomers and events as far as the eye can see, it's tough to stand out from the pack. Please choose your Breakout Fighter of the Year, and let us know why!

The Sherdog.com Staff also voted on each of these awards, but this is where you can agree or disagree with them. The Breakout (Breakthrough) Fighter of the Year for Sherdog.com can be found here!

Nominees

Joaquin "New Mansa" Buckley: 2-1 in 2020
Buckley 640.jpg
Although he started off 2020 on a rough note, losing his UFC debut to Kevin Holland, "New Mansa" notched two strong candidates for "Knockout of the Year," both against previously undefeated fighters.

Gilbert "Durinho" Burns: 2-0 in 2020
Burns.jpg
Soundly defeated a Top-10 and then a Top-5 fighter in Demian Maia and Tyron Woodley to propel himself into title contention at welterweight.

Khamzat "Borz" Chimaev: 3-0 in 2020
Chimaev.jpg
Debuted in the UFC, won his first three fights in dominant fashion, became the UFC's promotional darling, and secured a matchup with a Top 5 fighter in Leon Edwards—all in less than six months.

Kevin "Trailblazer" Holland: 5-0 in 2020
Holland.jpg
Became just the third fighter in UFC history to go 5-0 in a calendar year, wrapping things up with a knockout of longtime contender Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in December.

"Lucky" Lauren Murphy: 3-0 in 2020
Murphy.jpg
At age 37, Murphy catapulted herself from also-ran to probable title challenger in the flyweight division.

Kalinn "Khaos" Williams: 2-1 in 2020
Khaos.jpg
Debuted in the UFC, won his first two fights by knockout in under a minute of total cage time, but he lost his third this year by decision to Michel Pereira.

Image credit for each to Getty/Zuffa LLC. Description credit to SD Senior Editor Ben Duffy.

Polls close in seven days, so, who you got?

Picked Holland for being active the whole covid era and the number of fights and wins. I'd vote Khamzat no doubt if that December fight with Leon happened and he wins.

The Heavies Awards
-2020-
Breakout Fighter of the Year

Who's ready to break out? Several of these fighters did just that in 2020, either by making a big splash in their UFC debuts or by notching some big wins over top names to move up the rankings.

In a field chock full of UFC newcomers and events as far as the eye can see, it's tough to stand out from the pack. Please choose your Breakout Fighter of the Year, and let us know why!

The Sherdog.com Staff also voted on each of these awards, but this is where you can agree or disagree with them. The Breakout (Breakthrough) Fighter of the Year for Sherdog.com can be found here!

Nominees

Joaquin "New Mansa" Buckley: 2-1 in 2020
View attachment 823585
Although he started off 2020 on a rough note, losing his UFC debut to Kevin Holland, "New Mansa" notched two strong candidates for "Knockout of the Year," both against previously undefeated fighters.

Gilbert "Durinho" Burns: 2-0 in 2020
View attachment 823586
Soundly defeated a Top-10 and then a Top-5 fighter in Demian Maia and Tyron Woodley to propel himself into title contention at welterweight.

Khamzat "Borz" Chimaev: 3-0 in 2020
View attachment 823587
Debuted in the UFC, won his first three fights in dominant fashion, became the UFC's promotional darling, and secured a matchup with a Top 5 fighter in Leon Edwards—all in less than six months.

Kevin "Trailblazer" Holland: 5-0 in 2020
View attachment 823588
Became just the third fighter in UFC history to go 5-0 in a calendar year, wrapping things up with a knockout of longtime contender Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in December.

"Lucky" Lauren Murphy: 3-0 in 2020
View attachment 823589
At age 37, Murphy catapulted herself from also-ran to probable title challenger in the flyweight division.

Kalinn "Khaos" Williams: 2-1 in 2020
View attachment 823590
Debuted in the UFC, won his first two fights by knockout in under a minute of total cage time, but he lost his third this year by decision to Michel Pereira.

Image credit for each to Getty/Zuffa LLC. Description credit to SD Senior Editor Ben Duffy.

Polls close in seven days, so, who you got?
I expect this to be quite a competitive category. I think before the KO of Jacare (Holland) this was anyone’s game. But wrapping up such an active year with a ko like that makes this much more straight forward. I give it to Holland. I’m expecting to see Holland in first, with chimaev pulling a solid number of votes and the rest far behind.

Burns had a great year as well, if only he had managed to get that fight with usman done. I think a win over usman would have made him “the guy” depending on how the fight went, even over Holland’s incredible performance.

Last edited:
Buckley had a flashy KO, but not sure if he’s really a “breakout” fighter. One flashy KO and a mediocre win isn’t crazy.

Burns is having a great run, but he’s been relevant for a while. Wouldn’t call him a breakout fighter either, as he’s a seasoned vet that’s just finally putting all the pieces together.

I am totally disregarding Murphy and Williams.

To me and probably most people it’s between Holland and Khamzat. Very close, as Khamzat has absolutely demolished his opponents while taking no damage, while Holland has been more active and faced higher competition. To me the tiebreaker comes down to the “breakout” fighter having a mystique about him, and that Khamzat definitely has in spades.

I’ve been a fan of Burns since I saw his first fight. And Khamzat has been really impressive in 2020 too. I’m voting Holland though, he’s had a real breakout year. Seems like a good bloke too, nothing to dislike for me so far.

Holland

Though, I expect some to vote for Borz, just because that’s what the whole Khabib fanbase does. Except he broke out, then broke back in. If you get my drift.

Back