The 2020 Heavies Awards - Comeback Fighter of the Year - Winner: Brian Ortega

2020 Comeback Fighter of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1.Ortega
2.Tybura
3.Strickland but he is probably way better than he used to be.

This decision has really been twisting my brain.

Just counting W's, Tybura would be above Dern... but Dern's striking was so amateurish that you have to recognize the difference in how big that gap was that she has now covered. I actually wrote her off after her performance vs Ribas, but it turns out that Ribas is just that good. Her striking did show improvement though in the Ribas fight. Then here comes 2020 & she looks like a whole different striker. I had this feeling like "is that even the same person?" lol... & so it's hard not to appreciate the extreme contrast that gave her a very surprising 2020. imo.

It's interesting making this comparison to a guy like Ortega who also upped his game from a grappling heavy strategy to improved striking... & although he only had one fight while Dern had 3... Ortega's guy was top of teh food chain, so he gets a lot of xtra credit for that. Tybura did good too with his 4 wins, but old man Rothwell was his only semi-higher level win... & even Dern is only just now coming into site of the upper end of the division.

Teh kid who grew up in poverty...Ortega ...hooked up with Halle Berry though (for BJJ training) so he gets my vote. :D Dats teh true true. :cool:

Haha... I think any of these 3 are well deserving of it & I needed some kind of criteria to go off of because their situations were so different, so there ya go. :p Hooking up with Halle givez him a lifetime achievement award after growing up with the deck stacked against him. The absolutely fantastic improvement in his striking to comeback after an ACL injury & long lay off gives him my vote.

I went with Cub because he was gonna hang up the gloves, but stuck around and finished a much younger, hard-charger in Pineda.
Pineda is 35 years old and a UFC vet. That was a fight between two old gen scrappers.

I go with Cody. 3 fight losing streak with all of them being bad knockouts, he became a meme, called glass jaw, etc. Then he delivers a knockout of the year contender against a tough battle tested Raphael. I hate the guy cause he comes off as a jock bully with a pea brain but credit where credit is due

Apart from Ortega and Garbrandt, I barely remember any of these people competing past year. They probably fought some scrubs on the prelims so Ortega is the answer

Ortega looked like another person vs KZ I expected the fight to be more competetive and especially I expected Ortega to win by Sub and wasn't really convinced he could hang with KZ in there.
For him to go in there and dominate the stand up like that was insane.

...so people vote for a guy that fought once in last 2 years... cool... and guy like Tybura that had 4 wins in last year is on last spot... retardness is strong on this forum ( yeah nothing new, I know)...Omg dern is second hahahahahaha...
ps: ts put short info and picture about every nominated person... so I belive you lost Tybura here... guy with most impressive 2020 record... phi not sure if incompetence or just coudnt find any info about him :p. This shit is racist !.

Last edited:
Voted Strickland but not really the year of a comeback fighter

I honestly did not like some of those people who came in his circle around the post pride era. Some,like millen are still with him. Ugh.

...so people vote for a guy that fought once in last 2 years... cool... and guy like Tybura that had 4 wins in last year is on last spot... retardness is strong on this forum ( yeah nothing new, I know)...Omg dern is second hahahahahaha...

When a guy is gone for a while and then he comes back and looks great, he's a comeback fighter. If you sense, and I quote, "retardness" it might be you. You haven't demonstrated that you understand what we are voting for here.

When a guy is gone for a while and then he comes back and looks great, he's a comeback fighter. If you sense, and I quote, "retardness" it might be you. You haven't demonstrated that you understand what we are voting for here.
Well to be fair, I never sad he is not comback fighter; its just funny... that 1 win was enough on declining zombie... on other hand we got guy who was 1-4 in his last 5 fights ( and was good candidate for cut)... and in 2020 he gets 4:0... Honestly... still best of luck and say hi from me to your uncle ;).

Back