The Ashes thread

He's clearly the best batsman in the world right now. Could be a long Ashes if Anderson and Archer can't get fit.

I’d still rank Kohli and maybe Kane Williamson on his day, could be either of those three depending on form. But yeah he’s got great patience, perfect temperament for test cricket.

Well, this is embarrassing... The only one that has looked solid and confident at the crease today is Woakes of all people!

All out, England lose by 251 runs. Unbelievable, they didn't even make it till tea...

Lyon coming up big again. Can’t too too hard on England though, that pitch looked really tough to bat on.

Still, nice thing to wake up to.

Why would they pick Ali ahead of Rashid?

He's meant to be able to bat better isn't he? I do like the balance of their team with an all rounder at 6 and at 8, they might have been even extra fucked with Anderson going down.

He's meant to be able to bat better isn't he? I do like the balance of their team with an all rounder at 6 and at 8, they might have been even extra fucked with Anderson going down.
Yes he has better averages, but he's in shocking form with bat and ball.
And he has a terrible record against Australia.

I checked and saw this in wiki:
"Ali played in all 5 Tests of the 2017-18 Asheswith little success.[47] He played with an injured spinning finger and only took 5 wickets, at an average of 115. With the bat, he scored 179 runs at an average of 20 and was dismissed 7 times in 9 innings by off-spinner Nathan Lyon."

They should bring in Rashid for the next test IMO. England picked Rashid over Ali for the world cup afterall and ODI is a batsman's game.

But ...I'm not a fanatic , I just based on recent form.

Last edited:
Sidebar/thread hijack...

Baz McCullum retired proper. He's been on the ropes the last 4 years on the T20 circuit but finally called it a day on the cash grab.

Dale Steyn retired too. Like I said before, that man was one scary scary angry Afrikaaner

Sidebar/thread hijack...

Baz McCullum retired proper. He's been on the ropes the last 4 years on the T20 circuit but finally called it a day on the cash grab.

Dale Steyn retired too. Like I said before, that man was one scary scary angry Afrikaaner
Steyn only retired from red ball cricket, will still be available for the shorter formats (for SA).

Why would they pick Ali ahead of Rashid?

Out of form with the bat but he has bowled pretty well up until this match.

In fact he had taken more wickets than anyone else in test cricket in the previous 18 months, I believe.

He has always done well in England.

He’ll get another match, I would think.

He’s one of about 6 England players who could easily lose their place..... not good one match into an Ashes series.

Steyn only retired from red ball cricket, will still be available for the shorter formats (for SA).

Not quite as angry as he is with the red ball.

I guess he should bowl his 4 overs and eek out the last bit of $$$$.

Steyn and Michelle Wie keep the K-Tape guys in business and with Wiesy on the bench till next year, I'm not sure they'd survive without Steyn

Not quite as angry as he is with the red ball.

I guess he should bowl his 4 overs and eek out the last bit of $$$$.

Steyn and Michelle Wie keep the K-Tape guys in business and with Wiesy on the bench till next year, I'm not sure they'd survive without Steyn
Can't really blame them for trying to earn some extra cash, I just hope they now learn to quit in time, before it gets, well, sad.

Yeah, company took a big hit when Sakurabe retired, this might be the final nail in the coffin! <45>

Can't really blame them for trying to earn some extra cash, I just hope they now learn to quit in time, before it gets, well, sad.

Yeah, company took a big hit when Sakurabe retired, this might be the final nail in the coffin! <45>

Baz didn't have a good Big Bash. He was getting starts but wasn't getting the huge scores like in previous seasons. Losing out on a IPL contract probably told him the end was near... Though he did ask for like $1m or something astronomical as his reserve

I don’t like Warner but the only time you walk is when your car has run out of petrol.

And here we go lads, one down and 9 to go hopefully, just have to get fucken Root out

Or when it's very very obvious you've nicked it.

The Stuart Broad (I think it was) one from a few years ago was embarrassing. Close nicks/bat pads type thing, let the umpires do their jobs

I’d still rank Kohli and maybe Kane Williamson on his day, could be either of those three depending on form. But yeah he’s got great patience, perfect temperament for test cricket.

Kane IMO seems like he has the most classical style and those seem to have the most longevity.

Smith seems to rely on his eyes a lot and when those go, he could be in a bit of grief.

Or when it's very very obvious you've nicked it.

The Stuart Broad (I think it was) one from a few years ago was embarrassing. Close nicks/bat pads type thing, let the umpires do their jobs

I don’t agree, you’ll get plenty of shit decisions so never walk, that’s how I was taught to play. I nearly middled one to the keeper once off a guy I went to school with, I didn’t walk, cunt never forgave me lol

Kane IMO seems like he has the most classical style and those seem to have the most longevity.

Smith seems to rely on his eyes a lot and when those go, he could be in a bit of grief.

Yep Smiths technique is weird, so if he has a run of outs he looks worse than a Williamson who’s more classic. He’s found what works for him though, he starts off in the wrong position but when the ball hits the bat he’s right where he should be. His best asset is his patience though, T20 and ODI aren’t really his go, he’s a test bat if there ever was one.

I don’t agree, you’ll get plenty of shit decisions so never walk, that’s how I was taught to play. I nearly middled one to the keeper once off a guy I went to school with, I didn’t walk, cunt never forgave me lol

Yep Smiths technique is weird, so if he has a run of outs he looks worse than a Williamson who’s more classic. He’s found what works for him though, he starts off in the wrong position but when the ball hits the bat he’s right where he should be. His best asset is his patience though, T20 and ODI aren’t really his go, he’s a test bat if there ever was one.

In club cricket, where it's player umpire (you umpire against your own batsman) my mate who played forever told me to always walk if you nick one when I started playing for his team/club. Like thick edges... At that level, no one is really that on to it to pick up the faint edges themselves but the big thick ones, he told me to always walk. His thinking was it's not cool to let your mate be the one that gives you not out cop it from the fielding team for the next 10 overs because of you.

We also had a rule as well that, as a umpire, you were allowed to give ONE LBW decision for the whole season. And to give one, the guy had to be worse than plumb. He had to go right back to his stumps and be his square on his toes on the full, right over middle stump for you to fire him. Otherwise it was "going down leg".

No reason why he can't. Kane was told he'd never really play T20 and he's managed to adapt and have some success at both international and IPL. 50 overs is still plenty of time to bat. Does depend on conditions though.

Back