The Ashes thread

Poms are in shambles and this isn't a great Aussie team.

Aussies currently 71-4...need Smith to rescue them yet again. Which he probably will to be fair.
I'm afraid you're probably right. I'd say rough him up with a couple of overs of bouncers, and see how he reacts to that. Every other strategy seem to has failed so far, so why not?

Aussies at 80-4, and rain has stopped play, looks like for the rest of the day.

Welp, that might be the end of Smith, possibly even for the series. That looks like a broken arm.

Well, never mind, he just copped a nasty one on the neck as well, taken off for concussion testing. Damn, Archer is on fire!

And Smith is back at the crease. Damn, tough kid!

Smith is a tough SOB. Still any of the 3 results possible tomorrow, great stuff.

This is turning into a wonderful final day of cricket; great century by Stokes, positive decision to declare at 258/5, and the Aussies are already one wicket down (Warner is not having a great series so far). And with Smith ruled out for today, and possibly the next test (concussion after all), the Poms may have a chance to snatch this one!

Match drawn, but a great effort from the English today! Couple things have become clear imho:
- Roy and Denly need to go; I'd like to see Eoin Morgan and Sam Curran come in;
- Root needs to let go of the captaincy, so he can focus on his batting; maybe Bairstow as captain (or Morgan should they choose him)?
- Without Smith, the Aussies are done for!

And Smith is back at the crease. Damn, tough kid!

Word is (according to cricinfo so take it with a grain of salt) the convo went:

Justin Langer "You sure you can go?"
Steve Smith "I have to bat. You can only get on the honours board if you're out batting"

Match drawn, but a great effort from the English today! Couple things have become clear imho:
- Roy and Denly need to go; I'd like to see Eoin Morgan and Sam Curran come in;
- Root needs to let go of the captaincy, so he can focus on his batting; maybe Bairstow as captain (or Morgan should they choose him)?
- Without Smith, the Aussies are done for!

Didn't the kid that subbed in for him score a 50? I haven't checked in, just heard it on the radio on the drive into work this morning

Didn't the kid that subbed in for him score a 50? I haven't checked in, just heard it on the radio on the drive into work this morning
Yeah, Labuschaigne (sic?) scored a 50,and was out right after.

Word is (according to cricinfo so take it with a grain of salt) the convo went:

Justin Langer "You sure you can go?"
Steve Smith "I have to bat. You can only get on the honours board if you're out batting"
Yeah, was a weird way they went about it, now today saying he had delayed concussion symptoms. As someone who has had well over 50 concussions in his life, there is no such thing. Plus, he looked out of it yesterday when he came back on.

Yeah, Labuschaigne (sic?) scored a 50,and was out right after.

I'd forgotten about that rule coming in. How's it work? Is it a test cap? Sure it has to be and goes towards his average.

Yeah, was a weird way they went about it, now today saying he had delayed concussion symptoms. As someone who has had well over 50 concussions in his life, there is no such thing. Plus, he looked out of it yesterday when he came back on.

Translated "We needed him to eek out a few more runs. He's good to go, chief"

I'd forgotten about that rule coming in. How's it work? Is it a test cap? Sure it has to be and goes towards his average.
Yeah, it counts as a cap. Weird rule, but appropriate.

Back