The backfist

Probably because most people use a punching style that's more similar to boxing and there's no backfists in boxing. Plus I'm trying to think of any time that a standing backfist is a better option than a more standard strike, other than that Weidman-Silva KO.

I guess you could set it up off the 1-2-backfist but outside of traditional MA stylists - who practices that?

Probably because most people use a punching style that's more similar to boxing and there's no backfists in boxing. Plus I'm trying to think of any time that a standing backfist is a better option than a more standard strike, other than that Weidman-Silva KO.

I guess you could set it up off the 1-2-backfist but outside of traditional MA stylists - who practices that?
I've been thinking a backfist is a great follow up from a lead hook.

And TMAs make up the majority of the martial arts sphere, most MMA fighters have some sort of history in a TMA. Might not be current or super recent but most seem to have trained a TMA for a few years at some point.

why does it seem that the only time you really see the backfist in the spinning form.

Usually, people fight people facing with their front, not their back. inb4jeffglover

When your arms are in a natural ready position, a strike going strait in or outside in likewise comes naturally. In order to strike with back involvement rather than front involvement, you would first need to move yourself out of position to a degree to begin with.

The main reason one can see spinning backfists (or spinning elbows) more often than none is because it is a strike that can be performed while out of position while moving back into position.

Last edited:
Usually, people fight people facing with their front, not their back. inb4jeffglover

When your arms are in a natural ready position, a strike going strait in or outside in likewise comes naturally. In order to strike with back involvement rather than front involvement, you would first need to move yourself out of position to a degree to begin with.

The main reason one can see spinning backfists (or spinning elbows) more often than none is because it is a strike that can be performed while out of position while moving back into position.
You can throw the standing backfist facing forward and in a good position.

The 2 easiest are: (1) THrow the overhand right followed by stepping into the right standing backfist; and (2) lead hand jab --> pulled back to the opposite side while throwing the rear hand straight --> lead hand backfitst.

They're both pretty naturally flowing movements, they're just not the type of thing that people practice with any regularity.

I've been thinking a backfist is a great follow up from a lead hook.

And TMAs make up the majority of the martial arts sphere, most MMA fighters have some sort of history in a TMA. Might not be current or super recent but most seem to have trained a TMA for a few years at some point.
I don't doubt that the guys who've trained TMAs have practiced it but when it comes down to the training and sparring that's done leading up to a fight, it's not regularly practiced. Which is understandable because it's not going to slip through anyone's guard or around the guard like the punches more commonly drilled.

Still I'd like to see it come into its own. I still remember when they said that front snap kicks didn't work and lacked power and only the teep and MT-style roundhouses were viable. Now, almost everyone tries to sneak a front snap kick up the middle every now and then.

I don't doubt that the guys who've trained TMAs have practiced it but when it comes down to the training and sparring that's done leading up to a fight, it's not regularly practiced. Which is understandable because it's not going to slip through anyone's guard or around the guard like the punches more commonly drilled.

Still I'd like to see it come into its own. I still remember when they said that front snap kicks didn't work and lacked power and only the teep and MT-style roundhouses were viable. Now, almost everyone tries to sneak a front snap kick up the middle every now and then.
My point simply that most fighters learn it, guess it's just a matter of time until someone breaks away from what's 'safe' and manages some high profile KO or knock down, before other people try it

My point simply that most fighters learn it, guess it's just a matter of time until someone breaks away from what's 'safe' and manages some high profile KO or knock down, before other people try it
I agree but I don't think it's going to happen so long as boxing is the primary striking base for most fighters, regardless of what they trained earlier in their lives.

You can throw the standing backfist facing forward and in a good position.

The 2 easiest are: (1) THrow the overhand right followed by stepping into the right standing backfist; and (2) lead hand jab --> pulled back to the opposite side while throwing the rear hand straight --> lead hand backfitst.

They're both pretty naturally flowing movements, they're just not the type of thing that people practice with any regularity.

Out of position by degrees, as noted. Using a backfist to move back into position, after putting yourself out of position by virtue of throwing a strike to begin with.

Back