The Big 2 Half Guard Sweeps - Do you like another sweep more than these?

First two half guard sweeps I learned as a white belt.
Still use them today. Occassionally I'll get someone who bases out of the first one really well / hard (superman arms forward) and I end up using it to come out the back door and attack that way.
My all time favorite halfguard sweep will always be the shaolin sweep though.

Good details as always. I forgot about giving them a hard nudge forward when they are trying to dig in the crossface- will remember to do that!

I prefer not to fuck around with the foot and go straight to the dog fight then ankle pick. If they post the leg...roll under sweep. If they manage to stand, stand too, should be in a good spot to single leg. You get a lot better shot at the roll under from the dogfight because of the extra momentum. Also going right to the dogfight is more mma/sd friendly.

Still use these. Will always use these. This is basically my starting point. Half guard. Deep underhook around the waist. Then we get to work.

First two half guard sweeps I learned as a white belt.
Still use them today. Occassionally I'll get someone who bases out of the first one really well / hard (superman arms forward) and I end up using it to come out the back door and attack that way.
My all time favorite halfguard sweep will always be the shaolin sweep though.

Good details as always. I forgot about giving them a hard nudge forward when they are trying to dig in the crossface- will remember to do that!

shaolin sweep is awesome

How do you guys like to recover underhook? I just like to hip escape to knee shield.

Love it

Combined with the obvious going for the back, I normally refer to it as the Triple attack.

I get squashed a ton going for it so I need to second more time on getting the posture fight down.

How do you guys like to recover underhook? I just like to hip escape to knee shield.

You can also try and turning bridge and shrimp if he is trying to get high on you.

Ive done both of these every day for 17 years and I will do both every day for the next 40 years. Great details to moves that will work for a lifetime against the best guys

The real issue I have is getting the under hook. Once I've got it, I'm probably coming up to dog fight. If the guy whizzers, I'm going for the roll under.

More often than not, I can't see an opening for the under hook. I wind up dragging the outside arm across for the John Wayne sweep. It works, but I don't find it nearly as satisfying.

Last edited:
Ive done both of these every day for 17 years and I will do both every day for the next 40 years. Great details to moves that will work for a lifetime against the best guys

thanks a lot mr holt :) totally agree with you there too, these are my half guard bread and butter against anyone!

The real issue I have is getting the under hook. Once I've got it, I'm probably coming up to dog fight. If the guy whizzers, I'm going for the roll under.

More often than not, I can't see an opening for the under hook. I wind up dragging the outside arm across for the John Wayne sweep. It works, but I don't find it nearly as satisfying.

I usually just hip out and put your knee shield in or...hip out and insert butterfly hook

If you're already using the John Wayne sweep why not use that to get the underhook? Control their arm and get your underhook when they post to block that sweep if you lose it.

I am curious what everyones go to solution in half is vs:

The knee cut

The 3/4 mount

Double underhook pass

Leg-weave

If you're already using the John Wayne sweep why not use that to get the underhook? Control their arm and get your underhook when they post to block that sweep if you lose it.

That's a good idea. I just rarely lose the grip.

Old man grip strength is real.

I am curious what everyones go to solution in half is vs:

The knee cut

The 3/4 mount

Double underhook pass

Leg-weave

1) RDLR

2) I try to keep the leg between mine and roll back, creating space to go to deep half. I fail as often as I succeed.

3) Bicep to head to create space to get an underhook

4) Shin whizzer

Back