The case for front squatting in flat/minimalist shoes for "sport" carryover...

ShadowNINku

SANDBAGGER BELT
@purple
Reaction score
This is written within the assumption that you lift for carryover towards MMA/Grappling/Standup Striking while still being able to train maximal strength but not specifically for an athlete where the/a barbell movement's 1RM weight IS the goal itself:

-The NEED for heeled shoes for front squatting is pure Dogma

-If you have good form in flat shoes or barefoot heeled shoes are not required
Heeled shoes can be a crutch for a lack of dorsiflexion and magnify imbalances that you can then work on improving

-I'd rather maintain and improve upon dorsiflexion ROM measures and have slightly lower numbers on the bar as an athlete that believes that it mobility gained/maintained with the increased ROM demands gives me more "bang for my buck" than a few extra pounds on a squat

-A barefoot or flat shoe front squat mimics the squatting requirements of the sports in question more than any BACK squat or variation of a the back squat with a heel

-Changing shoes between sets and having to remember to pack another piece of equipment is enough of a time consumer and hindrance compared to being able to just use a good all around shoe that can be used for any and all gym exercise for me personally, and is enough for me to ditch my old trusty pairs of Adipowers

This is written within the assumption that you lift for carryover towards MMA/Grappling/Standup Striking while still being able to train maximal strength but not specifically for an athlete where the/a barbell movement's 1RM weight IS the goal itself:

-The NEED for heeled shoes for front squatting is pure Dogma

-If you have good form in flat shoes or barefoot heeled shoes are not required
Heeled shoes can be a crutch for a lack of dorsiflexion and magnify imbalances that you can then work on improving

-I'd rather maintain and improve upon dorsiflexion ROM measures and have slightly lower numbers on the bar as an athlete that believes that it mobility gained/maintained with the increased ROM demands gives me more "bang for my buck" than a few extra pounds on a squat

-A barefoot or flat shoe front squat mimics the squatting requirements of the sports in question more than any BACK squat or variation of a the back squat with a heel

-Changing shoes between sets and having to remember to pack another piece of equipment is enough of a time consumer and hindrance compared to being able to just use a good all around shoe that can be used for any and all gym exercise for me personally, and is enough for me to ditch my old trusty pairs of Adipowers

I squat for pure strength gains. Back Squat when I just want to get strong, Front squat when I just want to lift a bit less and keep the movement and use unilateral exercises for more sport specific strength.

Heeled shoes can definitely be a crutch for mobility issues, but the main goal for me when I front or back squat is to lift as much weight as possible safely and with good technique.

Mix in some unilateral barefoot work instead. Best of both worlds.

People over portray the "for sport carryover" "insert method here" waaaaay too often.

Front squat? Sport carryover? Name one sport you perform a front squat in that isn't competitive weightlifting, where they use heeled shoes.

TBH I feel the back squat was just fine for me when I competed

Back