The Frode post good kung fu thread.

I'm just used to reading books with giant pictures.
iu

I did not watch that fight but if namajunas was defeated by superior wrestling of her opponent, that only shows that she needs to improve her own wrestling and counter wrestling and that her boxing game needs to be adapted and integrated with anti take down defence to be able to better fight a more skilled wrestler. In other words combatively adapt to meet the combative challenge of an opponent and thus to improve.

It is also ironic you use this example of wrestling given that wrestlers obtain their great physical endurance and skill from not just drilling but continuous live sparring on the mat.
Yes judo does impart self discipline and resilience but only of it actually works combatively. Otherwise it is no better than learning lightsaber combat - good exercise but utterly fantastical and fictitious in nature.

And judo works combatively because it is trained with combative elements in mind in the form of its randori which is the reason why judo succeeded at the expense of traditional jujitsu that had neglected randori. This is not my interpretation- this is what judoka themselves assert.
We don't really approach it that way.

I am sorry for that. I do think however that a reply to a post should be written as carefully and respectfully as one can, which I have tried to do above.
Yeah, I was like an invading virus that triggered a sh*t storm of antibodies... why I logged out.<Kpop01>

No worries and thank you for the heads up Frode.
I dont think that was ment for you. Kung fu is deep into my heart and soul. So keep posting.

But you need a better filter. A filter to knowing what posters and persons you dont need to listen to. Or answer to.

Trying to discuss anything serious with stanclaker is a waste of your time and energy.

I dont think that was ment for you. Kung fu is deep into my heart and soul. So keep posting.

But you need a better filter. A filter to knowing what posters and persons you dont need to listen to. Or answer to.

Trying to discuss anything serious with stanclaker is a waste of your time and energy.
Check out the thread w the Sean Madden interview. Prolly some good pointers to help your kung fu appreciation.

Wait..WTF?....I don't believe my lying eyes!

Tai Chi posted on a MMA site!

It took 25 years, LOL!

All seriousness Chi Kung and Tai Chi has been my warm up since being sidelined 13 years ago from surgery. One of the older senior students at our Judo club had trained it for years and trained me for five years starting a couple of weeks after getting my cast off. He showed me the footwork pattern and slowly brought in the upper body movements as my elbow ROM improved. I remember the first day back on the mat taking no slap breakfalls for my closest competitor in terms of rank for his drilling and light Randori.

Tai Chi is still a regular part of my warm up and foundational strength regiment. It helps me internally asses my physical daily baseline and identify injuries early and check up with areas that are healing to figure out how hard to go for the rest of morning training and classes at night.

I had to quit doing judo and aikido for a while when a teen after I broke my knee doing judo. I started doing Taichi as part of my PT/ recovery.
I had a great teacher, did lots of exercises specific to my knee, and then practical application work, Actually more of that then form work.
Many of the principles transfer nicely to other martial arts, boxing, and practical applications.

I started doing Taichi as part of my PT/ recovery.
I had a great teacher, did lots of exercises specific to my knee, and then practical application work, Actually more of that then form work.
Many of the principles transfer nicely to other martial arts, boxing, and practical applications.

Which style of tai chi were you taking?

It's a long video, but I really enjoyed it. The speaker talks about how there's no history or data supporting the kung fu legend of Bodhidharma teaching the 18 fist of lo han. It was actually the military refugee who were seeking shelter within the shaolin temple; they were the ones who taugh the monks kung fu.

Which style of tai chi were you taking?
It was a family style. Sort of an offshoot of Yang.
Taught by Dr William Hu he also taught Lion Dancing, history, and practice another extremely offensive art. The Cantonese Opera. I lost track of him when I left the state, then joined the military...

My fav TMA people is always those who are honest without illusion of being a fighting machine.

Refreshing to hear the monk say its 0% about fighting skills.

tai chi will teach you body control and balance, perhaps fluidity as well. within every martial art, if you look hard enough, there is something that is beneficial and applicable to fighting

Show me a wing chum stylist executing a side kick and I'll show you pigs that fly. It is not part of their curriculum. They have these meaningless check kicks and crescent waist kicks that won't do shit long range. Wing chun is a mid to close range art.

Long range= does not compute.
According to who?
There will differences between lineages just look at all the difference between yip man's students who all learned under the same teach some at the same time some hold fuk Sao with the fingers pointing forward others hold the hand with pointing at your own center line
Wing Chun kicks are meant to disrupt and break your structure and some lineages use the sidekick some don't

tai chi will teach you body control and balance, perhaps fluidity as well. within every martial art, if you look hard enough, there is something that is beneficial and applicable to fighting

True. But if only fighting skills is what a person is after. Go to the three Kings:

- MMA
- boxing
- thai / kickboxing

Back