Crime The Gabby Petito case.

That's awesome, and I think that's what a lot of it really comes down to. People just don't have a lot of exposure to other types of people.
9 times out of 10, If you meet a guy outside of your group, hang around him a bit, you end up seeing he's just a guy, and not this crazy image or stereotype that's been built up in your head.
But it can be hard for people to break these stereotypes they have in their head when it's the only thing that they have for reference. We end up looking at people as just groups and labels, and through the lens of political narratives, and not as just people. And people begin to see themselves through these labels and narratives as well.

Considering your work history, while I don't always agree with some of your takes(or maybe it's the points that you prioritize), I do get where you're coming from. Demonizing groups and making very broad generalizations, oversimplifications, and using extreme language or concepts is rarely helpful, and usually just hurts whatever goal that's being worked for.

I think that as humans, we have it built into our dna to quickly categorize people into groups that are generic so we can quickly identify those different from us and try to determine friend or foe. It was probably useful a long time ago when people would determine if it was someone from their tribe or a possible threat. I don’t really know, but that’s my theory ans I don’t know if that is backed up anywhere. But I think we all still do it. You are alone and see three men walking towards you and you instantly note gait,body language, clothing style, the set of his eyes, race, and other factors to determine if they are a threat. I do it absolutely with every person I see. Maybe that is the lingering cop in me, but just being honest.

I think that as humans, we have it built into our dna to quickly categorize people into groups that are generic so we can quickly identify those different from us and try to determine friend or foe. It was probably useful a long time ago when people would determine if it was someone from their tribe or a possible threat. I don’t really know, but that’s my theory ans I don’t know if that is backed up anywhere. But I think we all still do it. You are alone and see three men walking towards you and you instantly note gait,body language, clothing style, the set of his eyes, race, and other factors to determine if they are a threat. I do it absolutely with every person I see. Maybe that is the lingering cop in me, but just being honest.
That makes sense, and I agree. I think it is still a useful and necessary tool though, it just needs to be recalibrated a bit for modern times.
For a cop, that danger radar would have to get a lot more use compared to a normal person, so I imagine it'd be hard to ever reaally turn off.
Awareness is good for everyone though, it could literally save your life. I've been stabbed and jumped and have worked in some sketchy places and countries, so I do the exact same thing. I'm like a Terminator scanning every dude and location for possible threats wherever I go.

This is where the bias comes from.
Not every black person lives in the gang infested slums of Chicago or Baltimore. If you watched the news, you would think that black people only live in gang war lands.
40% of blacks live in the suburbs, and another 10% or so live in rural areas. How many stories do you see about black people in the suburbs?

Typically, when the news covers black people, it's about racism, or police violence, or something going on "in the hood" and "black on black crime"...these larger narratives that we see in the media.
The story always has to be about race whenever covering blacks....and not just covering human stories.

There's an assumption that black kids runaway, or their disappearances are crime related....as if black kids can't get kidnapped, have accidents, or be victims of crimes that have nothing to do with all of these media and political narratives.
You, and others form your opinions on blacks based off of all these sensational stories about "the hood", when most blacks don't actually live there...there's just a higher concentration compared to other races. And it gets more attention because it's the only time media covers us.
And that has created a national bias in how people see blacks as a whole.

the liberal white privileged media is racist

Back