The Greatest Metal Albums Ranked By Fans!

Pretty good list, although obviously aimed at/voted for by the more ‘mature’ metal fan…

Good to see some love for Helloween.

Don’t know how anyone can objectively rank Cowboys From Hell over A Vulgar Display Of Power…

absolutely
they are quite a bit more technical and lyrically complex than antiquated metal groups like panTierra(sp?)
so that may be why they are often looked by old guys

Neither of those bands are metal.

As others have said, the list is pretty garbage - it's essentially an album listing from a few popular metal bands with a few rock and random other bands thrown in. Metal is a huge genre with a wide variety of sub genres - any decent list should have a good variety of subgenres included.

absolutely
they are quite a bit more technical and lyrically complex than antiquated metal groups like panTierra(sp?)
so that may be why they are often looked by old guys
Nu-Metal is ironically not metal at all. It's influenced by hardcore more than it ever was influenced by metal

Gosh. That's a lot of thrash metal. I guess my dislike of thrash and most forms of extreme metal disqualifies me from objectively judging (though I like Megadeth, Metal Church, Metallica and probably some others as well). But Holy Diver should clearly be in the top 10 at least. No doubt higher than that, really. And Somewhere in Time, of course, is at least top 10. It's number 1 in my book, but it's at least top 10. It's basically the synthesis of everything that was great about traditional metal fused with the strongest elements of 80's pop and glam metal and AOR in one awesome package. Brave New World is also top 10, in my book. Nightfall on Middle Earth should probably rate higher and I'm sure there should be more Saxon. I didn't see RIOT anywhere either.

Neither of those bands are metal.

As others have said, the list is pretty garbage - it's essentially an album listing from a few popular metal bands with a few rock and random other bands thrown in. Metal is a huge genre with a wide variety of sub genres - any decent list should have a good variety of subgenres included.
I think it was based on a fan vote. So it is what it is. Just the aggregate of a bunch of people's opinions.

How did those fools not vote Rust in Peace into the top 10?

Where is Candlemass?
Where is Manilla Road?
Where is Bathory?
Restless and Wild by Accept should be near the top considering how crazy it is for 1981.
Riot: Thundersteel needs to be there.
Solstice: New Dark Age needs to be on the list
Satan: Court in the Act should be there also.

While I don't agree with either list, that one looks like just a popularity contest.

Probably better to go off this

http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/albums_top.php

Much more diverse

Not saying I agree with the list, but Blackwater Park isn't just one of the best metal albums, it's one of the best albums ever. Period. Any genre. It's a definitive album that wasn't like Meshuggah where it was too far ahead of its time. It was new, it was right place, right time, right mix, right flow. Everything. That album changed how we produce music.

Oh, and Be'lakor's Stone's Reach is one of my GOAT albums. When that came out I listened to it literally all day and I was blown away. Pretty much drove my girlfriend and neighbors nuts. I was in awe. Much better than their first album Frail Tide which was phenomenal in its own right. Can't wait for their next album.

Not saying I agree with the list, but Blackwater Park isn't just one of the best metal albums, it's one of the best albums ever. Period. Any genre. It's a definitive album that wasn't like Meshuggah where it was too far ahead of its time. It was new, it was right place, right time, right mix, right flow. Everything. That album changed how we produce music.

Oh, and Be'lakor's Stone's Reach is one of my GOAT albums. When that came out I listened to it literally all day and I was blown away. Pretty much drove my girlfriend and neighbors nuts. I was in awe. Much better than their first album Frail Tide which was phenomenal in its own right. Can't wait for their next album.
I was big on Be'lakor for a while but I've gotten bored of them for whatever reason. I like the band Countless Skies named after their song though lol

I was big on Be'lakor for a while but I've gotten bored of them for whatever reason. I like the band Countless Skies named after their song though lol

Their last album was kind of a let down compared to Stone's Reach and Of Breadth and Bone. I kinda feel you, I liked it but not as much as the older albums. But I didn't listen to em for about a year or two and they're back on my this is great list. Doesn't help that everyone and their mom calls them the best unknown metal band. Yet everyone knows them lol

75. Accept - Balls to the Wall
140. Carcass - Heartwork

Randomly putting grunge bands like Alice in Chains too, I can't even
Dude Carcass is a real metal band. They started as a grindcore band but the Heartwork album is considered a pioneering melodic death metal album.

Gosh. That's a lot of thrash metal. I guess my dislike of thrash and most forms of extreme metal disqualifies me from objectively judging (though I like Megadeth, Metal Church, Metallica and probably some others as well). But Holy Diver should clearly be in the top 10 at least. No doubt higher than that, really. And Somewhere in Time, of course, is at least top 10. It's number 1 in my book, but it's at least top 10. It's basically the synthesis of everything that was great about traditional metal fused with the strongest elements of 80's pop and glam metal and AOR in one awesome package. Brave New World is also top 10, in my book. Nightfall on Middle Earth should probably rate higher and I'm sure there should be more Saxon. I didn't see RIOT anywhere either.
I saw Dio back in the early 2000s. You could tell he genuinely loved performing. One of the best shows I've been to.

Back