The "Help me buy a gun" FAQ thread

No idea how you interpreted any of that from my post. Never did I state, or even imply, that a .223 round would be less than lethal after hitting a single layer of Sheetrock. What I actually said was that it would dump most of its energy on the first layer of sheet rock, and FRAGMENT, which is what it is designed to do. And comparatively, pistol rounds with much more mass will tend to penetrate interior walls further than 223/556. I absolutely never claimed nor implied 223 would be less than lethal after hitting a single wall, and in fact specially followed up by saying you should know what’s behind your target before you shoot.

To your second point, which is an odd one, about not being able to know what’s behind what your shooting, in your own home. I’m sorry but that’s just ignorant. If your plan to defend your home and family stops at “step 1: buy a gun”, you’re a lot less prepared than you think you are.
Easy trigger finger. I agree with you that handgun rounds have high penetration, as I agree that a 5.56/.223 will begin to fragment before a handgun round. This is common knowledge. My point is that, even though it begins to fragment, the remaining penetration is still too high to make it the best selection for a multiple occupant home.

With the tons of configurations of a 12 ga available, you can have a great HD weapon and negate a lot of the over penetration threats that come with an AR/handgun.

Now onto this "broscience" you speak of. It's really very simple, build walls, shoot them with different rounds, measure how many said walls are penetrated. And for the sake of avoiding an argument, let's not pretend to rely on a wire, or the slim chance of hitting a stud to stop a bullet. I'm not sure this has been "debunked", but feel free to enlighten me since you seem to have some sort of new age information that contradicts what has literally been tested and documented 1000's of times.

Easy trigger finger. I agree with you that handgun rounds have high penetration, as I agree that a 5.56/.223 will begin to fragment before a handgun round. This is common knowledge. My point is that, even though it begins to fragment, the remaining penetration is still too high to make it the best selection for a multiple occupant home.

With the tons of configurations of a 12 ga available, you can have a great HD weapon and negate a lot of the over penetration threats that come with an AR/handgun.

Now onto this "broscience" you speak of. It's really very simple, build walls, shoot them with different rounds, measure how many said walls are penetrated. And for the sake of avoiding an argument, let's not pretend to rely on a wire, or the slim chance of hitting a stud to stop a bullet. I'm not sure this has been "debunked", but feel free to enlighten me since you seem to have some sort of new age information that contradicts what has literally been tested and documented 1000's of times.

Are you talking about using birdshot?

Paul Harrell has done penetration tests with walls he constructed. I recommend yall go check it out

Since the conversation has turned to penetration of bullets, has anybody seen any videos or had any experience with frangible ammo? I've seen people shoot steel with them, but haven't seen anybody do any personal defense testing with them. Assuming they have decent penetration in self-defense scenarios they might be good to use in apartments and in an areas where other bystanders may be in the line of fire.

Starting with #4 3" mags for 2 rounds, then #4 buckshot 3", then ending with Winchester PDX1 buck/slugger 3".

I figure as the situation gets worse, so should the round.
Are you talking about using birdshot?

Starting with #4 3" mags for 2 rounds, then #4 buckshot 3", then ending with Winchester PDX1 buck/slugger 3".

I figure as the situation gets worse, so should the round.
I think most are of the opinion that if we need a gun... the situation is as bad as it can get and at that stage it's me or the other guy.

I think most are of the opinion that if we need a gun... the situation is as bad as it can get and at that stage it's me or the other guy.
Man, I get it, I really do. A home invasion that requires deadly force is fucking bad, but nothing is so bad that it cant be worse, and that is Gods honest truth.

You wanna know what can make a home invasion worse? The accidental death of family member in the next room, by your own hand because you chose an ill fitting weapon.

In a home invasion scenario, with multiple occupants, the lethality of 12 ga #4 3" high brass magnum coupled with the survivability chances of an over penetration strike make this a damn good choice.

If you choose otherwise, God speed, I sincerely hope you never have to prove me wrong. I chose my configuration based on my individual house, and I hope you did the same.

I need to watch it again to fully remember. Posted it in here and then moved on to other shit forgetting what he said

There's an argument in the WR right now about using an AR for home defense.

First I've ever heard of 10 rounds in a pistol making a difference with "weight distribution". Nothing I've ever experienced in the 1000's of rounds I've put downrange.
Some of the arguments in that thread is so weird.

The best guns that I can think of for home defense (if money isn't an issue)
.300 Blackout SBR with a suppressor and subsonic rounds. IV8888 had a great video on how those types of rounds react to drywall

9mm PCC like an MPX

Being able to shoulder a weapon is the big key, especially in a stressful situation.

Back