The "Help me buy a gun" FAQ thread

Some of the arguments in that thread is so weird.

The best guns that I can think of for home defense (if money isn't an issue)
.300 Blackout SBR with a suppressor and subsonic rounds. IV8888 had a great video on how those types of rounds react to drywall

9mm PCC like an MPX

Being able to shoulder a weapon is the big key, especially in a stressful situation.
I consider myself to be a decent pistol shot, but I feel more comfortable with a PCC/shotgun/ar15 because of the stock. When the nerves are going and the brain is trying to process the situation I can't imagine I would be highly accurate with a pistol. That's just me though.

I consider myself to be a decent pistol shot, but I feel more comfortable with a PCC/shotgun/ar15 because of the stock. When the nerves are going and the brain is trying to process the situation I can't imagine I would be highly accurate with a pistol. That's just me though.
This is me as well.

I lean to an AR15 for home defense over my shotgun for one reason.. My shotgun is a goddamn duck hunting gun so it has a gigantic barrel. There is NOTHING about it that makes manuvering in a house easy.

This is me as well.

I lean to an AR15 for home defense over my shotgun for one reason.. My shotgun is a goddamn duck hunting gun so it has a gigantic barrel. There is NOTHING about it that makes manuvering in a house easy.

I think if Mossberg starts making a Mossberg 930 with their magazine system it would be a big hit. Basically the gun below, but without having to worry about pumping after each shot. With a 18.5" barrel it would be as maneuverable as most ARs with a lot more punch.
50206_590M_MagFed_HeatShield.png

I think if Mossberg starts making a Mossberg 930 with their magazine system it would be a big hit. Basically the gun below, but without having to worry about pumping after each shot. With a 18.5" barrel it would be as maneuverable as most ARs with a lot more punch.
50206_590M_MagFed_HeatShield.png
If I could fucking afford it I would get a Benelli M2 or wish a police issued Benelli M4 into my life. Get the barrel on them as short as you can legally do it and then have it in a 3-gun type set up:

Allow for fast reloads if needed and shit.

I still think an AR15 is a better HD choice as anyone in the house could use it if needed. A 12 gauge will put a lot of people on their ass.

The best home defense weapon is the MPX, or something similar. 9mm hollow points, red dot sight and flashlight. Easy to handle, easy to shoot accurately under actual stress. But if y'all wanna blast your wife and dog along with the intruded then go with the shotgun with buckshot route.

Last edited:
The best home defense weapon is the MPX, or something similar. 9mm hollow points, red dot sight and flashlight. Easy to handle, easy to shoot accurately under actual stress. But if y'all wanna blast your wife and dog along with the intruded then go with the shotgun with buckshot route.

...why would you want 9mm in a sbr/rifle for this? and lolz @ specifying hollow points but not the load.

and you know that shotguns don't have ridiculous spreads like hollywood suggests, right?

edit: lolz, even sherdog isn't immune from the 'overpenetration' 'think of the children' wall argument. like... i'm going to gimp myself out of consideration of the possibility of penetrating a wall and possibility of collateral damage... during a home invasion. 'bad guys are coming to kill/rape/whatever! better not use effective ammo, just in case!'

edit 2: lolz at 2010

Last edited:
...why would you want 9mm in a sbr/rifle for this? and lolz @ specifying hollow points but not the load.

and you know that shotguns don't have ridiculous spreads like hollywood suggests, right?

edit: lolz, even sherdog isn't immune from the 'overpenetration' 'think of the children' wall argument. like... i'm going to gimp myself out of consideration of the possibility of penetrating a wall and possibility of collateral damage... during a home invasion. 'bad guys are coming to kill/rape/whatever! better not use effective ammo, just in case!'

edit 2: lolz at 2010
"lolz" you sound like a bitch. I had several jobs where I had to qualify on the range to keep my job, it's my personal preference for home defense. It's the easiest to use accurately under stress.

"lolz" you sound like a bitch. I had several jobs where I had to qualify on the range to keep my job, it's my personal preference for home defense. It's the easiest to use accurately under stress.

i couldn't help but notice you still never mentioned a load, but think "hollow points" is somehow specific.

easiest to use accurately? sounds like a .22lr (or short), if that's your criteria.

lolz @ pretending to be a contractor/etc when you warned about buckshot spread. indoors. yeah, the 2" spread is going to kill your whole family!

edit: in before duct taped sapi plates.

Last edited:
why would you want 9mm in a sbr/rifle for this? and lolz @ specifying hollow points but not the load.

Why wouldn't you?

I prefer an AR but would definitely choose a pcc over a shotgun. Compact, sling, weapon light, suppressor with 35 rounds of 147gr hst subs and a dot. I'm taking that all day over a shotgun for home defense.

kNJqhyi.jpg

Z0ioNVA.jpg

Why wouldn't you?

I prefer an AR but would definitely choose a pcc over a shotgun. Compact, sling, weapon light, suppressor with 35 rounds of 147gr hst subs and a dot. I'm taking that all day over a shotgun for home defense.

i'm not advocating a shotgun, i'm mocking the mall ninja's claim that a ~2" spread would "blast your wife and dog along with the intruded then go with the shotgun with buckshot route"

and you're also proving my point by at least mentioning 147 gr (ie: a load, vs "hollow points")

personally, it depends what room i'm in. haha.

i'm not advocating a shotgun, i'm mocking the mall ninja's claim that a ~2" spread would "blast your wife and dog along with the intruded then go with the shotgun with buckshot route"

and you're also proving my point by at least mentioning 147 gr (ie: a load, vs "hollow points")

personally, it depends what room i'm in. haha.

I posted that because of your post. I've just said hollowpoints before because I have a few different types. Federal hst, Underwood +p+ 124gr gold dots, Hornady, etc.

I choose subs in the scorpion because it's suppressed and shooting indoors is loud af.

I took his comment more so about penetration than spread. I will say depending on where you live and how your house is laid out I personally would be cautious about round choice. If you live in an apartment/condo/townhouse 00 buck is definitely not a great choice. For an AR a solid copper tsx/gmx or bonded barrier round is probably not great either. Over penetration from a hit is less of a concern but a miss could have some very bad consequences. All rounds penetrate walls but some are less likely to kill afterwards.

I posted that because of your post. I've just said hollowpoints before because I have a few different types. Federal hst, Underwood +p+ 124gr gold dots, Hornady, etc.

I choose subs in the scorpion because it's suppressed and shooting indoors is loud af.

I took his comment more so about penetration than spread. I will say depending on where you live and how your house is laid out I personally would be cautious about round choice. If you live in an apartment/condo/townhouse 00 buck is definitely not a great choice. For an AR a solid copper tsx/gmx or bonded barrier round is probably not great either. Over penetration from a hit is less of a concern but a miss could have some very bad consequences. All rounds penetrate walls but some are less likely to kill afterwards.

like you said, if the mall ninja was referring to overpenetration (i don't think he was), it's moot, anyway. why would he single out buckshot if the subject was overpenetrating? also, intruder, wife, and dog? come on, son.

i couldn't help but notice you still never mentioned a load, but think "hollow points" is somehow specific.

easiest to use accurately? sounds like a .22lr (or short), if that's your criteria.

lolz @ pretending to be a contractor/etc when you warned about buckshot spread. indoors. yeah, the 2" spread is going to kill your whole family!

edit: in before duct taped sapi plates.
I'm not an expert I buy what my local gunstore has and recommends. I don't put much thought into the load. My background is Corrections and static security for Dyncorp overseas. It's not underwater ninja or mall ninja either. The load is not as important to me I live in Vegas noone is breaking into my house with a leather jacket or heavy clothing.. I'm not pretending to be nothing. You still sound like a bitch with the lolz. I can verify my claims (even though they aren't much)if mods wanna fuck with it, whats your background? Meal team 6 gravy seals? Just stop man, go clear your house with a remington 870 and see how efficient it is to cut corners with. 4" spread at 12 feet doesn't sound like much but I guarantee under stress you're gonna be another 4-8 inches off that shit adds up if you have family in the house. 12 gauge with buckshot kicks like fuck so if you have to do a follow up shot good luck getting your sight picture again. p.s i can tell by the lolz you a bitch.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert I buy what my local gunstore has and recommends.
1AERPW8.gif

I don't put much thought into the load.

this, coming from the one fearmongering that buckshot's going to "blast your wife and dog along with the intruded then go with the shotgun with buckshot route"

My background is Corrections and static security for Dyncorp overseas. It's not underwater ninja or mall ninja either. The load is not as important to me I live in Vegas noone is breaking into my house with a leather jacket or heavy clothing.. I'm not pretending to be nothing. You still sound like a bitch with the lolz. I can verify my claims (even though they aren't much)if mods wanna fuck with it, whats your background? Meal team 6 gravy seals? Just stop man, go clear your house with a remington 870 and see how efficient it is to cut corners with. 4" spread at 12 feet doesn't sound like much but I guarantee under stress you're gonna be another 4-8 inches off that shit adds up if you have family in the house. 12 gauge with buckshot kicks like fuck so if you have to do a follow up shot good luck getting your sight picture again. p.s i can tell by the lolz you a bitch.

and lolz @ the following:

4" spread at 12 feet (lolwut?!) did you google this and fail to even read it? you just cited the MYTH, genius. holy shit, even after i pointed out how grossly ignorant you are about this (and after how you led with 'gun store employee said'), you're doubling-down on sheer idiocy.

at 12 feet, they saw groups of ~1"
"12 1.00 1.50 1.00"

even at 30 feet, they saw groups of roughly half your dumb claim:
"30 2.50 2.25 2.0"

whoa, 2.25"? obviously, that's going to shoot the intruder, your wife, dog, neighbor, cousin, school, nearby city...

lolz @ verifying your claim. this is an embarrassment and you're now in a pick your poison scenario. you're either full of shit or you're simply incompetent and likely should not have an armed security job.

lolz @ leather jacket.

lolz @ "cut corners," as if bullpup and short-barreled (and "firearm," aow, etc) shotguns don't exist. and while advocating a rifle or stockless pistol...

lolz @ "kicks like fuck." have you ever even shot one? and btw, since you CLEARLY don't know, there are plenty of loads with less velocity/recoil/etc.

lolz @ repeating the dumb fallacy that i'm advocating a shotgun. you are truly the master of reading.

lolzturtle.gif
lolzturtle.gif
lolzturtle.gif

1AERPW8.gif

this, coming from the one fearmongering that buckshot's going to "blast your wife and dog along with the intruded then go with the shotgun with buckshot route"

and lolz @ the following:

4" spread at 12 feet (lolwut?!) did you google this and fail to even read it? you just cited the MYTH, genius. holy shit, even after i pointed out how grossly ignorant you are about this (and after how you led with 'gun store employee said'), you're doubling-down on sheer idiocy.

at 12 feet, they saw groups of ~1"
"12 1.00 1.50 1.00"

even at 30 feet, they saw groups of roughly half your dumb claim:
"30 2.50 2.25 2.0"

whoa, 2.25"? obviously, that's going to shoot the intruder, your wife, dog, neighbor, cousin, school, nearby city...

lolz @ verifying your claim. this is an embarrassment and you're now in a pick your poison scenario. you're either full of shit or you're simply incompetent and likely should not have an armed security job.

lolz @ leather jacket.

lolz @ "cut corners," as if bullpup and short-barreled (and "firearm," aow, etc) shotguns don't exist. and while advocating a rifle or stockless pistol...

lolz @ "kicks like fuck." have you ever even shot one? and btw, since you CLEARLY don't know, there are plenty of loads with less velocity/recoil/etc.

lolz @ repeating the dumb fallacy that i'm advocating a shotgun. you are truly the master of reading.

lolzturtle.gif
lolzturtle.gif
lolzturtle.gif

Hahah you're a bitch. I have no energy to argue with a bitch, but I'll do it. The smallest grouping you will EVER find is 1 inch at 12 ft they do get up to 4inches, just like your dick.
Never had a problem in a use of force or qualifying first time at a range. What did you do in your life? You must be a gun slinger. But more likely, a lil bitch.

Hahah you're a bitch. I have no energy to argue with a bitch, but I'll do it. The smallest grouping you will EVER find is 1 inch at 12 ft they do get up to 4inches, just like your dick.
Never had a problem in a use of force or qualifying first time at a range. What did you do in your life? You must be a gun slinger. But more likely, a lil bitch.

ad-hom AND refuting your own argument... while still apparently arguing?

whoa, you were able to qualify? you must really know what you're talking about, then! /s

ad-hom AND refuting your own argument... while still apparently arguing?

whoa, you were able to qualify? you must really know what you're talking about, then! /s
It's an opinion. You're still a bitch tho. Dem right there are the facts brah.

It's an opinion. You're still a bitch tho. Dem right there are the facts brah.

you didn't state opinions. you stated as fact.

worse, you're claiming to be an overseas contractor. so you're either lying or dyncorp isn't worth a damn (who would hire a contractor who 'just trusts the GSE' and thinks that a shotgun's gonna shoot up your family?). if you weren't lying about corrections, i'd guess that you're just a probation officer.

you didn't state opinions. you stated as fact.

worse, you're claiming to be an overseas contractor. so you're either lying or dyncorp isn't worth a damn (who would hire a contractor who 'just trusts the GSE' and thinks that a shotgun's gonna shoot up your family?). if you weren't lying about corrections, i'd guess that you're just a probation officer.
I'm not claiming anything I can't verify. It's really not shit, I was never in the military. I never shot anybody. What do you do? Read online articles and overthink shit? Call guys mall ninjas you know nothing about? p.s if you stop saying lolz i'm down to kiss and make up.

Last edited:
I'm not claiming anything I can't verify. It's really not shit, I was never in the military. I never shot anybody. What do you do? Read online articles and overthink shit? Call guys mall ninjas you know nothing about? p.s if you stop saying lolz i'm down to kiss and make up.

lolz @ "know nothing about." that's your MO.

Back