The "Help me buy a gun" FAQ thread

Well I tried to get to know you but you won't tell me your background. So I assume you work in an office with other girls.

it must really bother you that you're being pwned by someone who's not even leo/mil/etc. i'm just not an idiot and don't talk out of my ass. try it sometime.

I'm not an expert I buy what my local gunstore has and recommends. I don't put much thought into the load. The load is not as important to me I live in Vegas noone is breaking into my house with a leather jacket or heavy clothing..

I have to be honest your posts are kind of strange. All you had to do was to say what hollowpoints you have in your gun that your lgs recommended instead of everything else that got posted.

Also 4" at 12' is probably not going to happen, you should always test your ammo anyway so even if your shotgun patterns horribly with a certain load you know not to use it.

guns that you need: .22, 45 handguns.
rifles .22, ar15, 338 Lupoa, 50 cal bmg
shotgun- semi auto ar style 12 guage, its a wrap

Overseas security contracting job WITHOUT prior military experience? I highly doubt that.

I have to be honest your posts are kind of strange. All you had to do was to say what hollowpoints you have in your gun that your lgs recommended instead of everything else that got posted.

Also 4" at 12' is probably not going to happen, you should always test your ammo anyway so even if your shotgun patterns horribly with a certain load you know not to use it.
To be honest I don't even know if it's the 147 federal or winchester that I have in there right now. You're right tho should definitely test your buck shot for patterns if you're going to use it for home defense or hunting. However when someone calls me an idiot, mall cop, or says lolz every 2nd sentence I'm not going to post anything thought out or smart. Fuck that guy.

Overseas security contracting job WITHOUT prior military experience? I highly doubt that.
Yes if you're POST certified you can get static security gigs, or law enforcement advisor gigs. Like I said its verifiable. This was 2013-2015, may be different now but I doubt it. It's not a a lot of money like most people think but you can save pretty easily.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of using a shotgun for home defense and it has nothing to do with the spread though that's a consideration.

MOST people, own hunting shotguns if they own one at all. Those things are almost 30 inches long and unwieldy as fuck. That plus a 12 gauge in an enclosed space is going to kill any hearing (a 5.56 will too to be fair), and getting attachments on it like a light can be a bitch, especially if your only shotgun is an 870 for like hunting like I have.

Give me the Mk18 pistol clone or a PCC that anyone in the family could use.

and blindly trusts GSEs and has clearly never fired a shotgun before...

To be honest I don't even know if it's the 147 federal or winchester that I have in there right now. You're right tho should definitely test your buck shot for patterns if you're going to use it for home defense or hunting. However when someone calls me an idiot, mall cop, or says lolz every 2nd sentence I'm not going to post anything thought out or smart. Fuck that guy.

gecko45 over here...<PlusJuan>

I'm not a fan of using a shotgun for home defense and it has nothing to do with the spread though that's a consideration.

MOST people, own hunting shotguns if they own one at all. Those things are almost 30 inches long and unwieldy as fuck. That plus a 12 gauge in an enclosed space is going to kill any hearing (a 5.56 will too to be fair), and getting attachments on it like a light can be a bitch, especially if your only shotgun is an 870 for like hunting like I have.

i'm not really advocating a shotgun for HD, either... but that's just dumb. it's like talking shit on ar15s because 'most rifles are bolt action hunting rifles'

the saigas aren't exactly new. and since then, there are about a bajillion ar15-esque shotguns and bullpups. ffs, imi makes a tavor shotgun. and even keltec made a bullpup shotgun about 10 years ago.

i don't get the hearing arguments in this thread, anything's going to be loud as fuck. and suppressors are going to carry a trade-off in length, anyway (well, generally).

b4GKCg.jpg

wp0yFg7.jpg

i'm not really advocating a shotgun for HD, either... but that's just dumb. it's like talking shit on ar15s because 'most rifles are bolt action hunting rifles'

the saigas aren't exactly new. and since then, there are about a bajillion ar15-esque shotguns and bullpups. ffs, imi makes a tavor shotgun. and even keltec made a bullpup shotgun about 10 years ago.

i don't get the hearing arguments in this thread, anything's going to be loud as fuck. and suppressors are going to carry a trade-off in length, anyway (well, generally).

b4GKCg.jpg

wp0yFg7.jpg

I know there's been a ton of updates since MAC uploaded this vid but my biggest concern with shotguns is the Saiga, well, it isn't cheap anymore (fucking import bans). And the bullpup design guns are stupid expensive just like the regular Tavor and other bullpup guns.

I can get using a shotgun, believe me. I just would prefer something more easily obtainable for common folks and something that ANYONE in the house can use. There was that kid that was like 14 that stopped 3 home invaders with an AR15. I know SOME kids could handle a 12 gauge... but not all. Almost any kid with training could use a 5.56.

Cost is a huge issue too when talking home defense. If I had my way my HD gun is a .300 AAC Blackout, SBR with a small like Sandman S on it. Basically, make a .300 Blackout Honey Badger and then go to town with it. But cost wise? There's no way I could afford that right now.

Fucking NFA grumblegrumble

I know there's been a ton of updates since MAC uploaded this vid but my biggest concern with shotguns is the Saiga, well, it isn't cheap anymore (fucking import bans). And the bullpup design guns are stupid expensive just like the regular Tavor and other bullpup guns.

i'm gonna disagree, but this is generally subjective. i have cheap ar15s, but i also have a few PWSs (my fav). i've actually been dying to get a tavor (5.56)... but i've been waiting until they have a definitive best one (ie: the tavor has better accuracy, the x95 better features. i've been waiting for... not having to compromise). it's in the same price range as a lot of my rifles.

saigas were cheap for like 12 years. there are a ton of bullpups/ar15esque semi shotguns now. for all i know, many are crap... but it seems that there are at least a few that are solid.

i don't even know why you're talking about 12 year olds.

i'm gonna disagree, but this is generally subjective. i have cheap ar15s, but i also have a few PWSs (my fav). i've actually been dying to get a tavor (5.56)... but i've been waiting until they have a definitive best one (ie: the tavor has better accuracy, the x95 better features. i've been waiting for... not having to compromise). it's in the same price range as a lot of my rifles.

saigas were cheap for like 12 years. there are a ton of bullpups/ar15esque semi shotguns now. for all i know, many are crap... but it seems that there are at least a few that are solid.

i don't even know why you're talking about 12 year olds.
If I had a family I want something that anyone could use to protect the house if they had to is why I bring up age.

Plus that age old video of people being thrown aside by 12 gauges after Biden said to just aim a 12 gauge into the bushes and blast off two shots.

If I had a family I want something that anyone could use to protect the house if they had to is why I bring up age.

Plus that age old video of people being thrown aside by 12 gauges after Biden said to just aim a 12 gauge into the bushes and blast off two shots.

ok, but now we're talking about children shooting them and not us. and also, i don't know why we're supposed to limit this to one gun, as if there's one hd gun in the house (and if so, it better be quickly accessible to the 12 year old, ie: in the kid's room or the living room/etc...) we're just adding weird variables and constraints for seemingly no reason. it's a safe bet that we have more than 1 gun.

This discussion has been a roller coaster ride lol
I liked Sage Dynamics answer to this in one of his videos:
"What should you use for home defense? What can you afford and what are you comfortable shooting in an enclosed space?"

Back