Opinion The idiocy of John oliver

issue is more complicated than this idiot claims with his issue being “it’s not a fair fight.” Well, then don’t start the fight, Palestine.

That's pretty much summarizes it.

And to be clear, its Hamas who's 'starting the fight' and Israel is targeting Hamas with as few Palestinian civilian casualties as possible.

As for John Oliver, he's in a contest with Jimmy Kimmel, Samamtha Bee, and Trevor Noah for the most insufferable Late Night propagandist posing as a comedian.

I watched the clip you posted on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and he never even mentions Hamas, and the bits about Matt Geatz, 'Sending a text to warn about war crimes,' and posting before/after memes... were those supposed to be jokes? It really shows how he NEEDS a live audience for 'clap-ghter' because he audience reaction to let the viewers at home to know those were supposed to be jokes.

He is more knowledgeable than me? He is reading something someone else wrote and researched for him.

Yes, being receptive and responsive to information - rather than becoming enraged or indignant by it - is how one becomes knowledgeable. Those researchers aren't producing the segment content off the top of their heads. All of them are investigating, researching, and collaborating on how to understand and present that information.

But even if you reject or ignore the real and solid journalism that he and his show produce (which is the playbook for most persons in the United States who are right of center), I think anyone who has heard him speak should realize he's a very intelligent and knowledgeable guy. Really, all the members of that group (John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell) are, but Oliver is probably the sharpest. Maybe Carell, but he pretty well sticks to acting/comedy.

I can't stand John Oliver for the simple fact that he makes a living criticizing a country that he's not from, but made him rich and famous. I absolutely think he has the right to do it, but I still think it's tacky as fuck. The same goes for Trevor Noah.
I wonder if that approach would work in the Middle East outside of one country...

Last night, he railed against Israel and stand your ground laws. For a man that emigrated to the US, he certainly seems to hate this country.

I've never heard him say anything to would lend itself to the idea that he hates this country. He's definitely critcal of it.

I'm critical of things and people I love. That doesn't mean I love them any less.

I don’t disagree with you I just want to make sure we all understand his a political comedian much like the others out there.

So then you'd agree that he is actually lying to be funny?

All twats. They probably don’t include the times they attacked restaurant patrons as protests or how they block traffic holding people from expressing their ninth amendment rights or looting
You are being selective, picking the bad examples to smear the whole movement. By this logic, we can say all cops are dirty because there are some dirty cops.

He is a grade A twat. He's just part of the corporate media political swamp. He's good at trying to be arrogant and smarmy, appeals to the indoctrinated pseudo intellectuals

You should start by not watching him. If enough people follow suit he might just go away

I agree we need reform for police, but the issues they pick are not the issue. Chokeholds, qualified immunity, no knock raids are very very small issues when there are larger issues for concern

Start small and work your way up.

I am starting with last night’s show, but will delve back into other shows as well.

Last night, he railed against Israel and stand your ground laws. For a man that emigrated to the US, he certainly seems to hate this country.

He began the show discussing how over a thousand rockets were fired from Palestine into Israel, but stressed that it was not a fair fight because Israel has defenses to stop most of those rockets and responded with force in kind against Palestine who has no such defenses. This issue has become increasingly partisan with pro Palestinian protesters stopping freeway traffic in LA and other demonstrators including Pittsburgh, which is close to where I live. I am personally a bit mixed on this issue, other than to say that a country has a right to defend itself from attacks and retaliate, but the retaliation should be focused so that it does not indiscriminately kill innocent civilians such as the children. This issue is more complicated than this idiot claims with his issue being “it’s not a fair fight.” Well, then don’t start the fight, Palestine.

Then he pivots to stand your ground laws, which he claims causes more crime than states without them. But as usual, he does not differentiate between any of these increases in crime being the cause of stand your ground laws. He was able to bring up one case that was recent and two (George Zimmerman and joe Horne) that were not.
Both of these clowns acted as vigilantes and not someone protecting themselves or they directly put themselves into a conflict with the intent or plan to use deadly force when it went south. These laws shouldn’t protect people like that, but I strongly disagree with forcing people to flee when they are attacked for fear that defending themselves will get them arrested.

I don't think he's an idiot - he has correctly identified his base and he's catering to them. Same thing CNN did.

What are the odds that if someone beat the piss out of this prick that he wouldn’t call the police? It’s people like him that wouldn’t be able to defend himself that are at the mercy of people that are simply too law abiding to beat his skinny ass

why would it be a surprise if he called the police?

Why did he move to the US if he hates yank culture?

Meh, he knows his audience. I doubt the guy believes half the shit he says, but knows his audience are angry children tuning into a comedian for political content, so he gives them what they want and he knows they don't have the attention span for truth or context.

That's pretty much summarizes it.

And to be clear, its Hamas who's 'starting the fight' and Israel is targeting Hamas with as few Palestinian civilian casualties as possible.

As for John Oliver, he's in a contest with Jimmy Kimmel, Samamtha Bee, and Trevor Noah for the most insufferable Late Night propagandist posing as a comedian.

I watched the clip you posted on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and he never even mentions Hamas, and the bits about Matt Geatz, 'Sending a text to warn about war crimes,' and posting before/after memes... were those supposed to be jokes? It really shows how he NEEDS a live audience for 'clap-ghter' because he audience reaction to let the viewers at home to know those were supposed to be jokes.

It cracks me up when he gets all fake mad and starts dropping f bombs like some tough guy. His self deprecating shit gets old as well-great, you know you’re a putz-now shut up.

I've never heard him say anything to would lend itself to the idea that he hates this country. He's definitely critcal of it.

I'm critical of things and people I love. That doesn't mean I love them any less.

The fact that he never has anything good to say and bitches about something in America every single episode says that to me

You are being selective, picking the bad examples to smear the whole movement. By this logic, we can say all cops are dirty because there are some dirty cops.

But you had John Oliver’s dick in to ur mouth in the last post. I could barely even understand you over the mumbling on dat d

Last edited:
He uses strawmen more than almost any other media personality. Especially with his police segments. He will pick an issue, show only the worst example, and apply it to police as a whole.

He just did it with the stand your ground laws last night. He does it constantly using the worst optics to examine a situation

I think your too close to the police to be objective and fair yourself if I'm being honest. There's some real problems there and you always take a one hand washes the other approach in your views on the subject.

There are problems with stand your ground. It allows you to behave aggressively with people then respond with I feared for my life when a situation pops off. I'd be a lot cooler with stand your ground laws if they wrote something about that in them.

He’s only a naturalized American, why do I care what his opinion is on American society? He was born in England and only became a citizen in 2019. Notice how he and Samantha bee suppose to run comedy shows but instead bash America? This is part of the media’s plan.

Back