No Spoilers The Last of Us Part II

Rate your experience playing TLoU II

• Total voters
Yes I am.

<Kobe213>

My point being in this thread, and ONE thing about this story I can appreciate, is it spurns many emotions in which no one has a 'wrong opinion' about Abby, Ellie, or Joel.

Was Joel a selfish monster? Or a good man who did the right thing?

Was Ellie a righteous avenger? Or did revenge make her into a horrible person?

Was Abby a righteous avenger? Or did her loyalty to her friends make her a good person?

I'm not on the team 'This game was shit.' I'm saying the game's plot was unsatisfying and in the end I was indifferent about every character.'

The comparisons to The Last Jedi, Game of Thrones Season 8, and Mass Effect Trilogy's ending are spot on because I couldn't care less about them anymore.... including if The Last of Us 3 will ever come out.

The comparisons to The Last Jedi, Game of Thrones Season 8, and Mass Effect Trilogy's ending are spot on because I couldn't care less about them anymore.... including if The Last of Us 3 will ever come out.
Im not a star wars fan, so I dont give a shit, but GoT/TLJ literally fell off the map. Any time anyone brings them up, its usually because theyre bad.

I dont hear that for Mass Effect or TLOU II.

Haters really love to really think their niche opinions are the opinions of the masses.

I dont hear that for Mass Effect or TLOU II.
Haters really love to really think their niche opinions are the opinions of the masses.

For Mass Effect, there's generally two kinds of fans.

One, that bought the game, maybe played it through once, and never played it again. (I read the stats of gamers that played a game all the way through was surprisingly low, between 30% - 35%).

Two, that played each game multiple times experimenting with various builds and Paragon/Renegade choices, and carried their saves over from ME1 to ME2 to ME3.

So you're probably right about a small and vocal minority having a problem with ME3's ending, but they're the only ones with credibility on the subject.

Its like comparing someone who watched GoT, but only the new episodes once and didn't bother to re-watch entire seasons say 'I really enjoyed Season 8. It was a great finale and ending to the series.' As opposed to those who've read the books, watched the show's seasons multiple of times over... etc etc etc... and say Season 8 was an abomination.

I could come up with more analogies, but I think you get the point. Just because a smaller portion of a fanbase hates an entry of a series compared to a larger portion that likes or indifferent to it, doesn't mean the smaller portion is wrong.

The gameplay looks fun to play. Would I rather play as a stud than a chick on steroids? Of course I would. However I feel like that shouldn’t warranted the game to be rated the second worst game of the year. That’s why I’m asking you guys if Angry Joe is correct. I feel like he is disregarding everything else about the game and putting too much emphasis on the story.

It won a record number of GOTY awards, he's just a salty hater and shitty clickbait videos are his thing.

My point being in this thread, and ONE thing about this story I can appreciate, is it spurns many emotions in which no one has a 'wrong opinion' about Abby, Ellie, or Joel.

Was Abby a righteous avenger? Or did her loyalty to her friends make her a good person?

I'm not on the team 'This game was shit.' I'm saying the game's plot was unsatisfying and in the end I was indifferent about every character.'

I don't think anybody who really likes the game considers Ellie and Abbie to be righteous avengers. That's a big mischaracterization. Insomuch as stories can have objective elements, it's pretty clear that the writers don't want the player to form that impression.

Mostly, I think we're supposed to ask ourselves what Joel means to Ellie and that's part of the reason the writers chose the death of Abbie's father as the premise for the game. We're supposed to look at how Abbie reacts and compare that to Ellie because a big part of Ellie's character is her sense of confusion in terms of her place in the world and what people mean to her.

Abbie's motivation is clearer than Ellie's from the start, and I'd say that's the main reason she's able to reach catharsis before Ellie does. Personally, the game is really about figuring out what people mean to us when they're gone. The revenge plot is just a part (albeit a big part) of that; it's also the excuse to make their best action game to date.

Played and finished the first game around the start of the New Year. Finished the second game about 3 weeks ago. Good/great games, great narrative.

I still can't understand the people that are so negatively vocal about it. I feel like they all watched Angry Joe's review and parrot him on every platform they can.

It's interesting to look at trophy stats on the PS4. Basic trophies for completing games are generally only obtained by a small percentage of the people who play them. I guess tons of people start a game and then quickly lose interest and move on?

I was a bit late to the party, but I played the Mass Effect trilogy from start to finish. I played through the first one several times and experimented with different outcomes for missions and such. I also played through 2 multiple times as well. By the time I got to 3, I was getting somewhat burned out so I only played it once. I actually thought 3 was really great up until the last 20 minutes when it completely shit the bed.

How do you design a series where your choices in the story are supposed to have actual weight and consequences, and then come up with multiple endings that are exactly the same for every player no matter the choices that were made? None of the endings felt particularly satisfying in any way either. The writers clearly had written themselves into a corner and had absolutely no idea how to bring everything to a satisfying conclusion. Of the 4 possible endings, the ending that I see as canon is the one where the player chooses none of the options, the heroes lose, and they leave a recording of the events that transpired in the trilogy for future generations to study. Pathetic lol

EA has the money and resources to at least somewhat address this in the upcoming remaster, but instead they went with censoring Miranda's butt. Great.

For Mass Effect, there's generally two kinds of fans.

One, that bought the game, maybe played it through once, and never played it again. (I read the stats of gamers that played a game all the way through was surprisingly low, between 30% - 35%).

Two, that played each game multiple times experimenting with various builds and Paragon/Renegade choices, and carried their saves over from ME1 to ME2 to ME3.

So you're probably right about a small and vocal minority having a problem with ME3's ending, but they're the only ones with credibility on the subject.

Its like comparing someone who watched GoT, but only the new episodes once and didn't bother to re-watch entire seasons say 'I really enjoyed Season 8. It was a great finale and ending to the series.' As opposed to those who've read the books, watched the show's seasons multiple of times over... etc etc etc... and say Season 8 was an abomination.

I could come up with more analogies, but I think you get the point. Just because a smaller portion of a fanbase hates an entry of a series compared to a larger portion that likes or indifferent to it, doesn't mean the smaller portion is wrong.

It's interesting to look at trophy stats on the PS4. Basic trophies for completing games are generally only obtained by a small percentage of the people who play them. I guess tons of people start a game and then quickly lose interest and move on?

Yes, gamers apparently have extremely low attention spans.

I played Witcher3 on PS4 and it gives a trophy for just completing the tutorial level, White Orchard, which is probably around 3% of the total overall game including expansions... and only 70% of gamers have completed White Orchard.

I was a bit late to the party, but I played the Mass Effect trilogy from start to finish. I played through the first one several times and experimented with different outcomes for missions and such. I also played through 2 multiple times as well. By the time I got to 3, I was getting somewhat burned out so I only played it once. I actually thought 3 was really great up until the last 20 minutes when it completely shit the bed.

ME3 wasn't every replayable, since the three endings were easy to view by simply reloading the last save and picking a different color the main reason to replay the game is to make different Paragon/Renegade options.

ME2 was, by a very long margin, the most replayable for the ways the suicide mission (finale) can play out by different characters having their loyalty missions completed... *everyone survives.
*everyone dies.
*the Normandy crew dies/survives.
*Picking which squadmates die by not going in with their loyalty and putting them and put them in tasks that would guarantee their failure.

There's so many ways it can play out, it simply is the most brilliant finale in the history of gaming. Its a shame that no developer has ever bothered to try to remake it within a finale of their game.

How do you design a series where your choices in the story are supposed to have actual weight and consequences, and then come up with multiple endings that are exactly the same for every player no matter the choices that were made? None of the endings felt particularly satisfying in any way either. The writers clearly had written themselves into a corner and had absolutely no idea how to bring everything to a satisfying conclusion. Of the 4 possible endings, the ending that I see as canon is the one where the player chooses none of the options, the heroes lose, and they leave a recording of the events that transpired in the trilogy for future generations to study. Pathetic lol

You know what pisses me off the most? EA had an entire separate development team for the shitty multiplayer... the fucking multiplayer.

An entire development team should have been spent on the finale and endings for the trilogy, and an entire team would have been neccessary to make a finale as good as, if not surpassing, the ME2 suicide mission and endings in which all the major choices of the series taken into account.

As for what we got, there's one explanation for it - EA working Bioware to the bone for 2 straight years and refusing to give them extra time.

Who knows what would have happened if EA had made one of two decisions... either to given Bioware an extra 6 to 12 months, or have a separate team work exclusively on the finale and endings.

Regardless of the speculation of what we were could have got, what we eventually got is the reason why I hate EA with a burning passion.

60 FPS update finally out, definitely going to have do another play through. Messed with it a bit tonight and what else is there to say, really? It’s one of the best looking games of all time and now plays butter smooth.

I don't think anyone has a problem with morally gray heroes, people have a problem with the "bad turns" in TLOU2 because of the feeling it's a bit forced for the sake of drama. Nobody wants ellie and Joel to get a soap opera treatment if they can have endearing, gritty realism in their morality like in part 1.

From what I've read people thought the pregnancy was a bit soap opera, Joel's inability to fight back read a bit soap opera, abbie's pitch black turn seemed soap opera, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is the level of post apocalyptic resources in this world. We're not talking about mad max level scarcity and drought. There's lawlessness sure, but not the same kind of urgency that other post-apoc settings endure. Ellie practices guitar for a bunch of years, Joel drops in and says hi and takes her for walks. Other settlements prove their ability to take care of themselves and maintain perimeters even without the cure. It's not the sort of scarcity that would necessarily imply everyone we're introduced to must fight to the death over, and even more soap operatic when you include a years-separated connection to the slain surgeon.

If it was a fight to the last man against a random new settlement with relatable, sympathetic characters on the enemy side, sure go at it. But to connect destinies and lock the player into certain showdowns the way they did was a weird choice. A cooler version would have been to give different boss fights an option to spare/kill key members across both sides and see what kinds of story cutscenes those combinations create at the end. But no we got a hate-filled beat em up featuring protagonists that deserved more agency

I will give it another go in a few years.

Not that I disliked the game, but I would like to experience it when I forgotten most of the story (except you know what lol). This game has many memorable moments, like exploring abandoned buildings (which I wish there was more of), the gameplay and brutal combat. This game took what the first did in many ways, and made it better. I wish there were more moments when you could force interactions between enemies and the infected, these were the best gameplay moments for me (like in the subway, shown on one of the trailers).

I kind of wish there was like an arcade/survival mode when you have to fight of hordes (something similar to Days Gone), but without it actually being a horde. The gameplay was my favorite part of this game - by far. By the end, i liked both Abbie and Ellie.

I don't think anyone has a problem with morally gray heroes, people have a problem with the "bad turns" in TLOU2 because of the feeling it's a bit forced for the sake of drama. Nobody wants ellie and Joel to get a soap opera treatment if they can have endearing, gritty realism in their morality like in part 1.

From what I've read people thought the pregnancy was a bit soap opera, Joel's inability to fight back read a bit soap opera, abbie's pitch black turn seemed soap opera, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is the level of post apocalyptic resources in this world. We're not talking about mad max level scarcity and drought. There's lawlessness sure, but not the same kind of urgency that other post-apoc settings endure. Ellie practices guitar for a bunch of years, Joel drops in and says hi and takes her for walks. Other settlements prove their ability to take care of themselves and maintain perimeters even without the cure. It's not the sort of scarcity that would necessarily imply everyone we're introduced to must fight to the death over, and even more soap operatic when you include a years-separated connection to the slain surgeon.

If it was a fight to the last man against a random new settlement with relatable, sympathetic characters on the enemy side, sure go at it. But to connect destinies and lock the player into certain showdowns the way they did was a weird choice. A cooler version would have been to give different boss fights an option to spare/kill key members across both sides and see what kinds of story cutscenes those combinations create at the end. But no we got a hate-filled beat em up featuring protagonists that deserved more agency

I loved the game, GOTY for me and I did love the “when your going for revenge dig two graves” type angle but your suggestion (giving the choice to spare/kill would have been amazing. Especially when playing with no spoilers (I was completely blind playing this). They way it played out you probably wouldn’t have spared many given what had happened so the consequences would have hit the player harder later as the story played out. Honesty given the choice I absolutely would have killed Ellie

I loved the game, GOTY for me and I did love the “when your going for revenge dig two graves” type angle but your suggestion (giving the choice to spare/kill would have been amazing. Especially when playing with no spoilers (I was completely blind playing this). They way it played out you probably wouldn’t have spared many given what had happened so the consequences would have hit the player harder later as the story played out. Honesty given the choice I absolutely would have killed Ellie
It feels like the kind of game format that wouldn't have needed a whole lot of extra dev work aside from one or two cutscenes. I don't know how much replayability people wanted from their game copy, but that would have been a huge extension.

Plus we learn absolutely nothing from the first game's surgeon legacy influence if we aren't given options to spare key enemies in the second game....

<23>
most of the abbie henchmen weren't directly responsible for Joel anyway, it's a bit silly

60 FPS update finally out, definitely going to have do another play through. Messed with it a bit tonight and what else is there to say, really? It’s one of the best looking games of all time and now plays butter smooth.

Too much on my plate atm but I want to reexperience the game in HDR. Looking forward to replaying it eventually.

I'm surprised it only won two DICE awards. The first won 10.

Really? Than that's strange. The game combat mechanics were unreal.

I think it's best I've ever seen.
Lmao no. They were rudimentary. If the game has a weakness aside from the story, it's the shitty combat system. Everything else was top notch tho.

Back