Television THE RINGS OF POWER (Only 37% of Viewers Finished the Series, post #1917)

If you have watched the entire season one of RINGS OF POWER, how do you feel about it?

• Total voters
I'm not bored of the show because every other moment some WTF moment happens.
Do the people that write these shows actually watch the shows? I can't believe that someone that went to school for writing, wrote this, watched it, and thought "yeah, this all is cohesive and makes sense". For a show as expensive as it is, SOMEBODY HAS TO have noticed these huge flaws in the writing and pacing.

I don't know who this show is supposed to be for. On one hand, we have this kind of LOTR movies like atmosphere that would be appropriate for a 12 year old to watch, and then later in the episode we're stabbing eyeballs, slitting throats, and cutting bodies in half.

The incredibly bad: *The Numenor super soldier horses that have unlimited stamina and also immediately knew what tiny village they need to go to to save the day.
*I audibly groaned at the hilt being replaced by a goddamn mini axe. The two things don't even feel the same.
*Galadriel telling Adaar that she is going to kill him last, and then immediately tries to kill him before Halbrand stops her.
It makes no sense to keep him alive once they have the information from him.
*"Are you the king that was promised?" "uh...yeah" "All hail the king!" ..lol what...?
*and wtf was the ending of that episode? Literal apocalypse is happening all around them and Galadriel just stands there, wide eyed, looking at the mountain ?

As others have mentioned, Durin is always good. I enjoy the scenes with him and Elrond..and the elf/dwarf politics.
The storyline with the hobbits is starting to get interesting to me as well.

lol I actually forgot that part about her trying to kill him after giving a whole speech about making him suffer ….

Galadriel, who is married in Tolkien's books to Celeborn, finds it hard to resist young "totally not sauron" Halbrand

1664729401630175.png

Well after watching episode 7 my leading candidate for being Sauron is now that pale bald woman sorcerer in pursuit of probably Gandalf. She’s relatively fair, clearly powerful and clearly evil. That’s my latest revised pick for the “who is really Sauron” sweepstakes.

Does anyone know why they retreated from an ancient Elven stone fortress with a single point of entry to an open field village's tavern?

Where'd they find these writers?

This show is so so so soooo stupid
The writing is putrid. This story is boring, pointless and often times redundant. All of the main characters survived a volcanic eruption. What are the odds?!?!

oh and what the hell was that “Southlands” to “Mordor” graphic? It was like something from a power-point.

My god what a show.

Well after watching episode 7 my leading candidate for being Sauron is now that pale bald woman sorcerer in pursuit of probably Gandalf. She’s relatively fair, clearly powerful and clearly evil. That’s my latest revised pick for the “who is really Sauron” sweepstakes.
I'd wager Sauron didn't show up yet.

Does anyone know why they retreated from an ancient Elven stone fortress with a single point of entry to an open field village's tavern?

Where'd they find these writers?
The idea being they would be able to collapse the fortress into the orc's heads. Not the worst TV tactic.
oh and what the hell was that “Southlands” to “Mordor” graphic? It was like something from a power-point.
That was pretty bad

watched.

- Daenerys Galadriel the Unburnt fell into a huge paprika bowl, or at least that's how it looks her surviving a Pompei level pyroclastic flow straight to the face.
- deep, festering wound on Halbrand. you're bleeding out and wrecked by massive fever, time for a 3 day horse ride! also, you're the only one needing elvish medicine, all the rest of those crippled shits can just fuck off
- harfoots are far away from the volcano that they cannot see it or feel it erupt but somehow are close enough to see the "fire rocks". like, how does that work?
- transition of "southlands" writing to "mordor" was so cringe i had to leave the room for a minute, in second hand embarrasment. easily the worst moment of the whole series.
- leaf burns when it lands near the sleeping balrog, but wait, balrog goes roooaaar because someone writing the script thought it would be some epic shit, because it feels empowering if you're 12 years old. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Balrog.
- inspiring speech about how harfoots stand together, by the guy who was left behind by the harfoots. bro, did you hit your head or something?
- clear sight miles and miles to the volcano, while everything from the southlanders to mount doom is also burning. also, blindfolded queen regent on a mountain top, surrounded by the clearest skies possible, zero ash, like there wasn't a thermonuclear explosion 10 miles back.
- nori makes the grandiose existential decision that she's just a harfoot because some other dumbass harfoot ran under a falling branch.
- dwarf wife loses her shit when hearing durin got demoted by his father. FUCK THAT PIECE OF SHIT OLD FOOL, THIS PLACE IS OURS, MITHIL IS OURS, I WANT MONEYYY!!!!!!!! fucking kardashians level plot.

yeah baby

1665113902990648.jpg

I think that Southlands becoming Mordor graphic was designed for complete fucking morons that are watching that have seen the movies and yet aren’t quite able to put 2 and 2 together, such that when it changed from “Southlands” to “Mordor” they would go like this:

a6a.gif

captain-america-i-understood-that-reference.gif

I haven't watched this. I literally just realized that this show falls outside of the main trilogy and it is based on the lore. Do I need to dig through the appendices of LOTR before I watch this or will that just make me angry?

I haven't watched this. I literally just realized that this show falls outside of the main trilogy and it is based on the lore. Do I need to dig through the appendices of LOTR before I watch this or will that just make me angry?

Hard to say. On the one hand the appendices would provide background information and context, on the other maybe you’ll be irritated as they start to deviate from that roadmap.

Hard to say. On the one hand the appendices would provide background information and context, on the other maybe you’ll be irritated as they start to deviate from that roadmap.
I used to be obsessed with the appendices but it was literally decades ago. I've forgotten so much. But I learned a valuable lesson with the Wheel of Time where brushing up on the early books made the show less enjoyable, whereas when I watched without refreshing, I was comfortably entertained. My best friend went and re-read everything and then just hated the show.

you should probably just not watch this at all lmao

you should probably just not watch this at all lmao
I'm going to watch it. I would feel incomplete otherwise. I've watched the movies, read the books, read the Silmarrilion, unfinished tales, etc. I made my kid watch the old animated movie (where there's a whip, there's a way - iykyk). So I'm destined to watch this one way or the other.

This show is so so so soooo stupid
The writing is putrid. This story is boring, pointless and often times redundant. All of the main characters survived a volcanic eruption. What are the odds?!?!

My god what a show.
But that is a LOTR thing. Are you confusing this with GoT?

In LOTR, all the top hero's survive the most ridiculous odds, except for Sean Bean, who manages to be the first major character to die in both LOTR and GoT.

That was what made GoT so compelling to many as there was a real feeling of peril for any and all main characters, something rarely seen prior, in many fiction areas.

Back