The Magical Jabs

André Dida showed in a JAB video for MMA

Alright, so at the request of those who frequent my log, here's a thread that cover all different types of jabs I know of. I've done my best to find footage of Fighters using each one, so at least there will also be a sense of visual application. Most of these guys just happen to be Champions, too, and one future Champ for visual reference as well, heh heh.

First there's the "King All" of jabs. "Bazooka" Ike Quartey. Most of youse have seen this before, but it doesn't get much better than this when it comes to the standard jab:

YouTube - Ike Quartey Prepares For Vernon Forrest

It's just perfect. Shuck of the shoulder, flex of the knees, a tiny step when he wants to add power, and the cross follows beautifully. Ike's basic jab was hardly ever matched in the Sport. So when you practice your basic jab, that's what you're aiming for.

It took me FOREVER to think of someone who used the trip-hammer jab, but finally I figured it out. Gentleman (and any ladies who might be looking), Felix "Tito" Trinidad, keep your eye on HOW he throws his jab:

Trinidad vs. Barnes.

Notice it's stiff, but there's not a whole lot of bodyweight behind it. He keeps his knuckles close to his cheeks, and the jab falls from there without warning, nice and short usually, but with more range than people think. It's not meant to hurt but it could smash a nose. What it's meant to do is get you looking at it, so you don't see anything else that might come. The trip-hammer style jab is great for making a guy jumpy.

The slapping jab. When Aaron Pryor went into Boxing mode, he preferred a style of jab that was also meant to merely occupy the opponent's eyes:

Pryor vs. Arguello.

Notice how Aaron's jab is almost a back-hand in some cases. He had perfected following it with his cross and left hook. The key to doing this jab right is to throw it off-beat, and/or while moving, and/or while your opponent is setting up his punches. You have to be prepared to fire a combination at any moment, because this style of jab will be countered by a good counter-puncher if you just throw it arbitrarily. But if you throw it anticipating that, you can counter the counter.

The power-jab. Seemingly out of nowhere Miguel Cotto developed this sickening power-jab. He used it to initiate exchanges against speedster Zab Judah, and get inside where he could damage Zab:

Miguel Cotto vs Zab Judah

You can really see Miguel take those almost fencer-esque lunges at Zab with his jab. It kept throwing off Zab's rhythm all night, and busted up his face a bit. This jab is great if you're heavy-handed.

The pawing jab. This one is almost never done right. But here's the man himself, my own trainer Mike McCallum using it to perfection against Michael Watson (it's tough to notice but what you're looking for is every time Mike sticks his left hand out straight):

YouTube - MIKE McCALLUM KO'S MICHAEL WATSON

What the pawing jab can do is turn a normally methodical guy into an accurate volume puncher. Mike was no volume guy, but he'd start cranking that pawing jab and everything else would flow off of it quite easily. It's another distraction, but it's slower to give you a chance to work angles. Your opponent is occupied with repetitious fists coming at him, sure they aren't hard, but that's why you throw in a hard hook or right hand, or uppercut in with them. When done right it, he shouldn't be able to tell where the hard punches are coming from, like poor Watson couldn't.

Here's also a good little vid where Teddy Atlas speaks about the pawing jab and how it's used to lull an opponent to sleep for the power-punch:

The flip-jab. It also took me forever to figure out who used a flip-jab, because the guys who use it used it sparingly that you'd be familiar with. Guys like Mayweather, Malignaggi sometimes, guys with very fast hands. But I finally remembered a guy who used it a lot, now watch close because both these guys are two of the fastest guys to grace the ring, so it's going to be hard to see, but here's Buddy McGirt, and what you're looking for is every time he jabs while leaning forward with his left hand low:

YouTube - Pernell Whitaker vs Buddy McGirt.

The key of the flip-jab is that it comes up underneath an opponent's guard or chin. It's not very hard, but it can split a guard very well or surprise an opponent who uses a lot of movement the way McGirt neutralized Taylor's movement with it, because Taylor was just a hair faster than the lickety-split McGirt. Plus, it's tough to tell if a guy's going to throw a hook, uppercut, or flip-jab from the correct starting position.

Courtesy of ambertch: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/long-range-jab-much-win-1237992/#post39412262

And finally, the up-jab. This is another one that's done from the lead-hand low position, but unlike the flip-jab it doesn't flip the elbow or smack with the top-side of the glove (or at least it shouldn't). This next visual aid is a still photo, but there's a cool ghosting effect from when it was taken that shows the extended arm position when the jab lands:

Sparrin5.jpg

And of course, that's me.

Hope this helps fellas. Jabbing is fun, especially if you can pull off more than one of these. For you pressure guys, I advise learning the trip-hammer and power jabs. Interchanging them can get you inside pretty well and bust tight guards. For you speedsters, everything but those two.

Great job!
I would add Klitschko brothers as the illustration to the power jab.
They have won 90% of their fights due to this punch.
They used to throw their punches to the head, to the body and suddenly converted these jabs into left hook.
If you watch Wladimir Klitchko vs Kurbat Pulev fight, you see that Kurbat Pulev was completely disoriented and was able to tell which of the three punches comes next. Was knocked out finally by this disguised left hook.

In Lennox Lewis vs Vitalii Klichko fight, Lennox lost the jab war.

Are there any pros who explain step by step the double jab? Even though I've been training a few years now, I still feel awkward throwing it and like I'm doing it wrong. I don't know how far you're suppose to bring your arm back or if you're suppose to move your hip in on both punches, etc. Same with double cross or double hook as well. I just want it broken down on how to perfectly execute it and I haven't had a coach that could do it I think.

Are there any pros who explain step by step the double jab? Even though I've been training a few years now, I still feel awkward throwing it and like I'm doing it wrong. I don't know how far you're suppose to bring your arm back or if you're suppose to move your hip in on both punches, etc. Same with double cross or double hook as well. I just want it broken down on how to perfectly execute it and I haven't had a coach that could do it I think.

Same here! I'm not good with it either, and my jab isn't exactly slow

Same here! I'm not good with it either, and my jab isn't exactly slow

thats awesome jabbing from the chest, would love to see how fast your jabs are in sparring, if only to see how that flared elbow works out

thats awesome jabbing from the chest, would love to see how fast your jabs are in sparring, if only to see how that flared elbow works out
it's amazing how a person can fail to make themself look good even just for a whole 1 second video

Since I guess there are no videos or any guides on it. Is it normal for your hip not to move on the second punch or should you be moving your hip on a double jab or cross or hook? Should your arm being going all the way back to the starting position before throwing the second punch?

I'm creating the most in-depth guide of all time on the jab and double jab. I'd like to share a whopping 31 (actually, 36 and rising now) types of jabs with you and research the answers to any of your biggest questions regarding the jab and double jab. Do you have any questions for me? Thanks. Written portion should be done in a week, video supplements will take a bit longer. I briefly explain some of the less common names here:
1. basic jab (so much on this alone. many differences between boxing and mma, bladed vs squared stance...)
2. step jab (lunging vs small steps and the difference between following the lead leg with the rear or just returning the lead leg back are huge topics)
3. backstep jab (huge category for all retreating jabs)
4. up-jab
5. corkscrew
6. jabbercut
7. down jab (btw who used this beside Lomachenko? guessing mostly tall/long guys)
8. stiff jab
9. pivot jab
10. power jab (I really delve into foot, hip, waist, shoulder rotation here)
11. Range-finding jab
12. counter jab (perhaps the most complex topic or diverse type of jab)
13. body jab (and jabbing anywhere besides the head, like the shoulder to break balance)
14. jab from long guard (I kinda made this up)
15. arm jab (usually a feint starting from the shoulder without body power behind it)
16. flicker jab (like the arm jab but even faster, from the elbow, and more likely to be used repetitively)
17. pawing jab
18. lazy jab
19. vertical jab (I discuss fist angles in depth here, more practical for small gloves/barefists)
20. 45 degree jab
21. backhand jab
22. Superman jab
23. (Trip)Hammer Jab (downward hammer motion typically aiming for the bridge of the nose or to push a guard down)
24. Step Through Jab (stepping 45 degrees to the rear side with the rear foot during the throw )
25. Forearm crush AKA chicken wing jab (more of a smothering block and framing move https://media.giphy.com/media/yvzJcXYDuewgHb8KmF/giphy.gif)
26. slip jab
27. Trapping Jab
28. Flip Jab (I'm still unfamiliar with this, appears to be almost a backfist upward hammer motion using a lot of elbow?)
29. Blinding Jab (as a main goal here as opposed to a side-effect with lazy, pawing, stiff, or other jabs)
30. Jab/Hook hybrid (one of my favorite secret techniques recently)
31. Stiff-arm Jab (also called a set jab, posting, or barricade- more of a push or framing purpose than the stiff jab)
and recently discovered:
bazooka jab
Slapping jab
Tapper jab
Space-maker
Spear jab

Some topics and questions I am addressing:
-When it may be appropriate to only partially retract a jab or not retract at all.
-How does power come from the feet, waist, shoulders, or snap of turning over the wrist? (hint, the kinetic chain starts from the floor and travels the whole body)
-How different gloves and rules among kickboxing, boxing, and mma affect the jab and jab defense?
-Jabs differences among orthodox/southpaw vs orthodox/southpaw matchups
-Jabs vs shorter or longer opponents

Pryor vs. Arguello is my favorite. It was quite good and right jab.

I really like the low jab because its also a slip. Enter with a low jab then high jab, or low jab high cross.

Anybody catch the Font vs Garbradnt fight? Another beautiful display of the jab in MMA

Back